Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bus lane PCN on North end Rd
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
h4ss4n
I have received PCN for "being in bus lane" on North end road https://goo.gl/gJTDat between castletown rd and Beaumont av.

I have attached the PCN
1st page

full size image http://i58.tinypic.com/4uwd49.jpg

2nd page

full size image
http://i59.tinypic.com/taiqkn.jpg

are there any grounds to appeal it?
PASTMYBEST
Quick look on GSV if it is the same then there is no warning sign coming out of Castletown rd the bus lane is very short so Di minimis could well apply and just from observation the bus lane looks to be too narrow it would need to be measured but from google I get it at 2.47 mtrs minimum should be 3
h4ss4n
there is very little signs about, there a small blue sign at the junction before at charville rd.

Also there is no indication when the lane ends as it turn into dual lanes at the junction with A4, left lane for A4, right lane for going ahead.
astralite
Location: Where were you? You mention three different roads none of which are cited on the PCN. From where did you go into the bus lane?
The bus lane: There appears to be no taper at of this section of bus lane which is preceded by a yellow box? Can you follow up on PMB’s points?
Video: Have you seen the video? What signs does that show? Can you provide a link to the video?

h4ss4n
i was on North end road.

I went to the same road recently and noticed the sign for end of bus lane is just after the bus stop. Therefore i was not inside it for 20 meters. AKA 20 meter rule.
Also I don't think the bus lane meets the width requirements.

the video can be viewed here

PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (h4ss4n @ Mon, 13 Jul 2015 - 14:02) *
i was on North end road.

I went to the same road recently and noticed the sign for end of bus lane is just after the bus stop. Therefore i was not inside it for 20 meters. AKA 20 meter rule.
Also I don't think the bus lane meets the width requirements.

the video can be viewed here

Pay the discount, you pulled into the bus lane to pass on the left. I do not think you would get anywhere at adjudication
astralite
I have looked at the video. There seem to be quite a lot on non-bus vehicles which somehow have entered the left hand lane of this road.

You appear to have passed the date for paying at a discount. If this is so, there is nothing to lose by making a representation that the alleged
contravention did not occur. If so you may wish to consider the following points.
The video does not show the vehicle passing any upright bus lane prohibition signs.
The location cited on the PCN is not apparent from the video and North End Road is a long road.
The video does not show the alleged contravention occurring at 08.22. If any contravention occurred it happened later.

h4ss4n
I did informal appeal

This is what they sent back:
Thank you for writing to us about the above bus lane Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

I have considered what you have said and all the available evidence, but I do not

agree that we should cancel your liability for this PCN.

This PCN was issued by one of our camera enforcement operators because they

observed and recorded the vehicle travelling in the bus lane, gaining advantage by

`jumping the queue` of traffic that was waiting in the correct lane.

The road markings and sign plates clearly indicate where bus lanes start and finish,

and the times during which they are enforceable. While the restrictions are in force,

motorist should not drive in a bus lane. I am therefore satisfied that the PCN was

correctly issued.

There are large blue and white signs at the start of the bus lane. These show the

times when the bus lane is operational. The bus lane is separated from the general

traffic lane by a thick white line. We are satisfied that the bus lane is clearly signed

and marked.

If you wish to pay at the discounted rate of £65, you may still do so, provided we

receive your £65 payment within 14 days of the date of this letter. THIS OFFER

WILL NOT BE REPEATED. Once these 14 days have expired, the full charge of

£130 will become due.

How to Pay:

1. By cheque or postal order

Please:

- cross your cheque or postal order 'a/c payee';

- make it payable to 'London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham';

- write your registration number and PCN number on the back; and

- send it to us at LBHF Parking Services, PO Box 4666, Worthing BN11 9FY.

DO NOT SEND CASH BY POST

2. By MASTERCARD, VISA CREDIT, VISA DEBIT, or MAESTRO

You can pay:

- either via the internet at www.lbhf.gov.uk, or;

- by calling us on (020) 7371 5678. We have an automated payment system that

you can use at any time. Assistance with card payments is available during our office

hours of 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturday (except public

holidays). Please note that all telephone calls to the Parking Services Office are

recorded.

3. In person

- at the Cashiers office on the 1st floor of Hammersmith Town Hall Extension, King

Street, W6. They are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (except public

holidays). They accept cash, cheques, postal orders, and the credit/debit cards listed

above.

How to challenge our decision:

1 If you do not pay, we will send an 'Enforcement Notice' to the keeper. This form

offers the keeper the chance to formally challenge the PCN, or to pay the full charge

(by this time it will be too late to take advantage of the discount). If you are not the

registered keeper, let them know what you decide to do.

2 If we still disagree with you, the keeper can take the case to the Adjudication

Service. The Adjudicator is independent and his or her decision is binding on both

sides.

Yours sincerely

C Porter - Correspondence Officer

--------------

I will making a formal appeal when I get the Enforcement Notice
astralite
What did you say?
What is the date of their reply?
Remember the full amount will become payable if your rebuttal does not succeed.
Ewonfor
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me with this too as I have also been issued with a PCN for this stretch.

I pulled out of Charleville Road and there are no blue signs to indicate that there is a bus lane until you are at the yellow box junction of Castletown Road.

I'm hoping to get this appealed as it was a genuine mistake and I believe that hundreds must be caught here every week from the same confusion.

[i]"Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in regards to the penalty charge notice I have received for being in a bus lane on North End Road Northbound.

Penalty Charge Notice Number: x x

Firstly, I only received this notice on Friday 20/05/2016 – this is the 14th day from the date on the notice and hence I find this extremely unfair as this means I have had little time to look back at my diary to work out who was driving that day prior to the 14 days ending.

I have now deduced it was indeed myself on that day however I would like to appeal this PCN on the grounds that the markings and signage on that road are very unclear.

When turning left onto North End Road from Charleville Road I was greeted with a yellow box junction and zig-zags for a pedestrian crossing and so it is not clear that I was travelling in a bus lane at this point, then prior to Castletown Road, I was greeted with another yellow box junction. It was while I was half way across the yellow box junction at Castletown Road that the car in front of me stopped to change lanes which meant I had to momentarily stop in the yellow box junction and I saw the bus lane markings after Castletown Road and a sign that is in line with the Junction taper. This meant that I had 2 options, stop in the yellow box junction and receive a fine and cause more annoyance to other drivers or drive through the 20m of bus lane to get out of other drivers way. As you can see from the video I dithered as I contemplated the 2 options and tried to work out what to do and could see that I would be out of the bus lane in 20m so tried to get out of that situation as quickly as possible. If I had moved across out of the bus lane like the Nissan Qashqai did then I or another driver would have had to stop in the yellow box junction.

I do not normally drive this way but having looked through google street view, it is not clear that there is a bus lane between Charleville Road and Castletown Road if you exit out of Charleville Road and I believe there should be a 959 repeater sign as you exit Charleville Road if this is indeed a bus lane at this location similar to what you have when exiting Castletown Road. Or if the bus lane is suspended in this section then a 958 warning sign is needed prior to the bus lane starting again at Castletown Road – I am still unsure whether there is a bus lane or not on North End Road between Charleville Road and Castletown Road and one of these signs is needed?

I hope that you will agree that there is much confusion regarding the bus lane at this location which the pedestrian crossing, and yellow box junctions and especially if someone turns out of Charlesville Road. I did not have enough notice or time to merge without stopping in the yellow box junction. I believed at the time that driving through the 20m of bus lane was the lesser of 2 evils and it was not an attempt to gain advantage by jumping the queue.

Yours faithfully,
xxxx""
[/i]

John U.K.
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me with this too as I have also been issued with a PCN for this stretch.

Ewonfor,
Please start your own thread with what is in your own post here and
As usual, for best advice please post up PCN (both sides)

Do not attach docs/photos, but use this method:
Photo or scan. see http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=36858&st=0
for how to do it. I use Tinypic for stage 2 with no problems.
STAGE 1 takes care of resizing. If you use Tinypic for Stage 2, on the left each image in Tinypic is a list of links. Highlight and copy the entire link 'for forums' from the list for each image, and paste each link into your post. Each copied and pasted link will embed a thumbnail link in your post.

Using the attachment method is not advised as it means quickly running out of attachment space.
Redact/obscure personal details, PCN no. Reg No.

Also post up a GSV (Google Street View) link to the location.
LEAVE IN all dates/times; precise location, Contravention code and description.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.