Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COFPN while another offence possibly pending
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
whoopsies
I have a clean licence (previous red light offence awareness course in 2014) since I qualified around 10 years ago.

Today I received COFPN from Surrey Police for a speeding offence committed around 4 weeks ago.

In addition, last Sunday (7 June) I was stopped in London (Metropolitan Police) by police holding a radar gun which they said showed I was doing 50mph in a 30mph. I gave a statement to them (entered on PDA thing and signed on there) and they said my statement/their evidence would be passed to the processing centre where they would decide what to do.

I have not heard back yet regarding this second matter, so:

(a) how long have they got to send me a summons/COFPN/something?
(b) should I wait before returning COFPN to Surrey, in case it influences possible treatment of 50 in 30 offence?
southpaw82
Six months.
It won't.
whoopsies
Ok follow up in that case as they've got six months: I'm going away in July for 8 weeks, do I need to do anything to protect myself while I am out of the country, in the event I've not heard from them in the mean time? Or just wait and see what comes when I return?
The Rookie
Will anyone be checking your mail while you are away?
Churchmouse
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 14 Jun 2015 - 06:29) *

According to the infamous DPP vs Whiteside, it is apparently a requirement under law for an RK to ensure that any official notices sent to his registered address are brought to his attention if it would have been reasonably practicable to do so.

--Churchmouse
whoopsies
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 14 Jun 2015 - 06:29) *

No i use mailkeep so the mail is held by rm until the day after i return
The Rookie
If you get another NIP and don't reply within 28 days that could see you getting 6 points, may not be the best option, also if a summons arrive you'll know and can contact the court and ask for an adjournment, I'd really suggest considering a plan B for your mail.
whoopsies
I received COFP on 11 August, while I was away.

So not too bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.