Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dvla doing me for tax for a car i no longer own
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sianny
I bought a volvo s40 on 28/06/2014. I have the receipt but it doesn't show that my old peugeot was part/exchanged for the volvo.
He said he'd sort the paperwork out for the peugeot, and I signed in the right places on the V5
Last December i had a letter from the d.v.l.a. saying i was the owner of the Peugeot, and because I hadn't sorned or hadn't had it disposed of with evidence of having done so I was liable for the tax.
I tried to get in touch with the seller to no avail. So I wrote a letter to dvla and didn't hear anything from them so naturally thought it was all sorted out.
This month I received this.

Dear Ms bryant

Thank you for your email received on 4/6/15.

A penalty has been issued to you as our records indicate that you were the registered keeper of a vehicle which has been untaxed without a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) being made.

Penalties are only passed onto debt collectors to pursue if the DVLA receive no response to the original penalty letter. Great care has been taken in selecting the Debt Collection Agencies. They are all professional organisations that adhere to the Credit Service Association, Office of Fair Trading Guidelines and the Data Protection Act (DPA).

You state that you no longer have the vehicle; however, you remain liable for the penalty unless you have received a disposal confirmation letter dated before the date of the offence.

For our records to be amended you must write to the address below so that our records can be updated.

You will need to provide;

• Date of disposal
• New keeper’s name and address
• Your signature
• Registration number, make and model of the vehicle

You should receive confirmation of disposal within 4 weeks.

If you wish to make a payment in relation to the penalty you are able to by one of the following methods:.....

If, however, you wish to appeal against the penalty and feel you have circumstances relating to the alleged offence that you wish to bring to the enforcement officer’s attention you must do so in writing as a signature is required.

Please send full details of your mitigating circumstances to;

DVLA
D12
Swansea
SA99 1AH

If you are not able to return the penalty letter you must quote the vehicle registration number, make and model in your letter.

DVLA is unable to accept these details by telephone or email. Please keep a copy of the correspondence for reference.

Please follow the instructions above to resolve this enquiry. I regret that DVLA's Contact Centre cannot add any further assistance in relation to this matter.

How can I give them a date of disposal when I didn't even own the car? He obviously hasn't sorned it, he would have scrapped it. But didn't delare anything.

What can i do? I'm on a very low income and can't afford fine after fine for something that someone else is responsible for.
StuartBu
Surely the "date of disposal" is the date you got your new car ...? You say you can't get in touch with the dealer ..why so?
Unzippy
Tell them you dispute this and that you want a V991 form in order to dispute it.

There's plenty of info out there and on this forum about it.
The Rookie
The problem appears to be that he has not correctly completed and sent off the slip as required and has not had a confirmation of disposal, it appears likely he has remained the registered keeper.
Churchmouse
A block of scrap metal does not have a "New keeper’s name and address", so I would read the DVLA letter as requesting information about the vehicle the OP "no longer has". Why not simply respond to the DVLA letter by supplying the requested information? Assuming she knows the name and address of the seller/purchaser, she can provide all of the information.

It should be noted that, although it may strike the OP (and others) as wrong, the DVLA has made updating their records the OP's problem, by shifting the responsibility for doing so onto the V5 holder. As a general rule, whenever you deal with a required DVLA notification, FOLLOW UP, because if anything goes wrong, it's usually considered YOUR FAULT by the DVLA, and they will issue fines accordingly.

--Churchmouse
The Rookie
Yes, but the OP admits not completing the form as required, so in this case it is his problem!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.