Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: insurance
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
anth_85
ive done the worst thing ive ever done in my life, i know it was stupid but i need advice what to do.

I bought a car from a independent dealers on monday around 12noon. It wasnt cheap and the insurance isnt either, so i though i would bring it home then garage it for the 4 days till i was paid and then insure it, once paid. Trouble is I went through the tyne tunnel on the way home with it and the police were checking the cars. Obviously it was me they picked on. I dont know if they saw my plate, checked it and saw by their records that i had no tax (i had been taxed that morning) or was just a random check.

Anyhow they asked to see documents and i only had my driving license and MOT along with all the warranty stuff on the passanger seat, (i had literally just bought it).

So the officer gave me a producer. I knew straight away i was in trouble with not having the insurance started. I farted on and i dont know why i just didnt ring the insurance to start when i got back icon_hang.gif but i spoke to a mate and he said to ring now and get it to start that day. I couldnt it was to late. I managed to get them to just give me the 4 days cover singly. But now the cover note has come through for that it says the insurance starts at 9.59pm glare.gif

What can I do? I havent been to the police station yet, obviously and ive got until monday.

I know the fixed penelty for this is 6points and £200 which A i cant really afford to loose £200 and B its gonna make my already pricy insurance even higher when i come to renew.

I know its not about speeding but i heard this is the best place to come for advice on this kinda thing.
patdavies
I would say that there is no way out of this - you have been caught fair and square with no insurance.

Luckily for the rest of the motoring public, you were stopped by a police officer and not an accident!

This forum exists to help and advise motorists on their legal rights and legal methods to avoid prosecutions convictions related to speeding (and more recently, parking). I am not aware of anybody here who will condone driving without insurance - especially as it wasn't an oversight, it was a deliberate act.

So my advice is, go to the Police Station, 'fess up and pay your £200 fine. Think on how much you would have had to pay if you had hit another vehicle (or, heaven forbid, a person).
g_attrill
Anth, have a look at this thread, it covers much the same ground:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=8254

The poster plead guilty and a solicitor plead "special reasons" for no penalty, and was given an absolute discharge, which is basically "yes you did it, you have a conviction, but we aren't going to punish you for it"

Gareth
anth_85
cant get on that link. im thinking im just gonna have to go a say yes i know what ive done and heres my cash and clean license sad.gif

typical some people who always follow the book, (ive got a clean licence) and never speed then this happens, yet i know / knew people who drove without licence/ tax/ insurance and MOTs and never got caught. angry.gif

Cant wait for tomorrow to actually properly drive my new car.
fairygothmother
I just wonder if you take your docs to the police station whether they would actually notice the time or they would just go by the date? May be worth just handing them in and not mentioning it unless they do. If they do obviously fess up, but you never know??
Fairy
anth_85
thanks for advice.

When i go down will I have to take my licence and the money with me or do you send a cheque off? Ive never had anything like this before sad.gif
audiquattro
QUOTE (anth_85 @ Thu, 2 Mar 2006 - 22:52) *
thanks for advice.

When i go down will I have to take my licence and the money with me or do you send a cheque off? Ive never had anything like this before sad.gif

Do you have another car insured ohmy.gif
anth_85
I had another car insured upto monday night, but that doesnt cover me for driving other cars dry.gif

I had to cancel that policy and take another out with a different company as the orginal would not insure me on the new car. I feel really guilty for that 5 min drive, and its costing me.

Its not like i regularly drive without insurance, tax, mot and the rest of it. It was just 1 drive in order to get the car home.
audiquattro
QUOTE (anth_85 @ Thu, 2 Mar 2006 - 23:40) *
I had another car insured upto monday night, but that doesnt cover me for driving other cars dry.gif

I had to cancel that policy and take another out with a different company as the orginal would not insure me on the new car. I feel really guilty for that 5 min drive, and its costing me.

Its not like i regularly drive without insurance, tax, mot and the rest of it. It was just 1 drive in order to get the car home.

READ the policy and reply with the full quote. I do sympathise as it was my case that q_attrill posted blink.gif
anth_85
a quote of what?

It says at the bottom of the old insurance certificate " this policy does not entitle you to drive other cars" its in plain english and i knew that.

My cover note says monday 21.59 to thursday 21.59, and my proper years insurance starts at 00:01 on friday for the 12months.

But the offense was at about 12.30. I can only hope the police guy looks at the dates and not the times.
whens a busy time at police stations that they might not have time to look over it in great detail wink.gif
audiquattro
QUOTE (anth_85 @ Thu, 2 Mar 2006 - 23:53) *
a quote of what?

It says at the bottom of the old insurance certificate " this policy does not entitle you to drive other cars" its in plain english and i knew that.

My cover note says monday 21.59 to thursday 21.59, and my proper years insurance starts at 00:01 on friday for the 12months.

But the offense was at about 12.30. I can only hope the police guy looks at the dates and not the times.
whens a busy time at police stations that they might not have time to look over it in great detail wink.gif

Ok fair comment I cannot help you but as your insurance started on the day and the old one finished the day before.......... It's up to you, I challenged and it cost me more than 200 but then I had 3 insurances at the time mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif But I ended up a FREE WOMAN tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
panther12
You bought it from a car dealer, maybe a word with him to see if by any chance you were covered under his policy.
anth_85
ok, been to the station and the women said "you werent covered for the time of the stop" to which i said " yes i know" so im expecting a letter through the post sometime soon asking for money and to send my license off.

Thing is i noticed on the form she had that she wrote down the names of the other two drivers on my insurance policy (one that has just started).(they are only secondard drivers, im am the primary and policy holder) They being my mam and my girlfriends mam. Will they receive anything through the post saying about what has happened? Because Im abit embarrased and would rather they didnt know.
Insider
Your two named drivers will not hear a thing.

And I didn't expect them to miss the timing, they've been there and seen it done more times than you can imagine.

Have you tried ringing your insurers up and asking them to put the time BACK as you didn't realise that it started at a particular time blah blah blah and try blagging it - you never know......

My insurer recently told me that they'd cover me for 2 cars,as I wasn't sure when i'd collect my new one as long as I only "owned" the one I was driving at the time, which was bl**dy helpful of them wink.gif
anth_85
does anyone know if there 14days apply for the NIP to come through to me on a case like this? Because i havent heard anything and it has been over a week. I expected something through the post straight away.
flashman
You were originally stopped at the roadside so I think I am correct in saying this will likely proceed straight to a summons. The information can be laid anytime within the next six months, and they have possibly up to two years to issue the summons...
Barking Mad
QUOTE (patdavies @ Thu, 2 Mar 2006 - 13:40) *
I would say that there is no way out of this - you have been caught fair and square with no insurance.

Luckily for the rest of the motoring public, you were stopped by a police officer and not an accident!

This forum exists to help and advise motorists on their legal rights and legal methods to avoid prosecutions convictions related to speeding (and more recently, parking). I am not aware of anybody here who will condone driving without insurance - especially as it wasn't an oversight, it was a deliberate act.

So my advice is, go to the Police Station, 'fess up and pay your £200 fine. Think on how much you would have had to pay if you had hit another vehicle (or, heaven forbid, a person).

Pat,

Don't be so condemning of someone who has been caught doing something loads of people do but shouldn't. Strictly speaking, the lad's broke the law. But it's not like he never intended to get insurance, is it!

I understand he rang his insurer about the new car just as soon as was practicably possible.

It could also be the case that he asked his wife / girlfriend to ring his insurers to get the 'new' car put on cover while he went to collect it and it got overlooked???

Let's not be so judgemental of each other, eh, Pat? It could ba argued that every single one of us should lose our licences daily under "totting up" for our excesses HOWEVER MINOR each time our speedos drift a fraction above the posted limit. Any single one of use with a clean licence could 'tot-up' and lose our licence within 4 blocks of home if we were "monitored at all times" It's a question of degree, isn't it, surely? Is speeding at 31 in a 30 on a rural lit road at night with no-one around as bad as 70mph+ past a school at 3:30pm with kids everywhere? This insurance infraction is surely just something similar???
Captain A
Is speeding at 31 in a 30 on a rural lit road at night with no-one around as bad as 70mph+ past a school at 3:30pm with kids everywhere? This insurance infraction is surely just something similar???

No-one here would condone either driving past a school at 70 mph in the circumstances you set out or driving whilst uninsured. Tthe consequences of both could be disastrous and both are easily avoidable.

As for being judgemental - why not ? If something is inexcusable, why try to excuse it ?
g_attrill
QUOTE (anth_85 @ Sat, 11 Mar 2006 - 11:50) *
does anyone know if there 14days apply for the NIP to come through to me on a case like this? Because i havent heard anything and it has been over a week. I expected something through the post straight away.

I think it *might* proceed directly to summons, I don't think the fixed penalties for insurance offences are issued widely yet.

Also have you passed your test in the past two years? If so then you could face a licence revocation, so it would be definately worth electing a court hearing.

Gareth
anth_85
ok. thanks. Ive been driving for over 2 years now so i have a full license, and its totally clean.

If it goes to court what am i looking at? is it worth attending?
anth_85
its now been 2 weeks 5 days since I was at the police station and I havent heard anything yet, for this situation do they 100% have 6 months to send me the notice out?
andy_foster
I'm pretty sure that it's 6 months from when they became aware of the issue for insurance.
LancashireLad
Let's not be so judgemental of each other, eh, Pat?

I lost a brand new Renault Laguna to an uninsured driver and a ton of cash along with it. Sorry but personally I hope they prosecute as I have been a victim of non insured drivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.