Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '14 Day Rule' during private numberplate retention process?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sunny1542
Hai Guys,

I tried to do a search first (promise!) and look through the Q&A section, but I couldn't find one that specifically answered my question:

If a registered keeper thinks that they are going to get an NIP for speeding in a vehicle with a private registration marque, and he/she puts the said marque on retention (as he/she is looking to sell the car anyway) after the date of the possible offence but before 14 calendar days are up, can this void the 14 day rule, considering that both the private plate and the V5C logbook are in the RK's name?

As the private numberplate would go from [On vehicle registered in RK's address] to [Retained numberplate in RK's address] surely there won't be any extra 'hassle' that the police would have to go to to find the address of the offender?

This is a general question, and does not relate to any specific offence that may or may not have happened.

Thanks in advance

xoxo
Jlc
KADOE - Keeper At Date Of Event...

The lookup will return the keeper on the date of the alleged offence.
sunny1542
Ok,

So basically the 14 day rule DOES still apply?
The Rookie
The 14 day rule always applies (for offences which it applies to in the first place anyway!), but it does have a statutory get out in that if the Police could not, using reasonable diligence, comply then it's not a bar to prosecution, for example where a car has just been bought and the registered keepers details not yet entered onto the DVLA database
Jlc
Indeed. It's only the 1st NIP that the 'rule' applies to - putting a plate on retention would not have any impact to the normal process. (We have seen some people putting the private plate on too early where it's still on retention)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.