Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unpaid Congestion Charge - Please Help!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
ozymodo
All,

We moved house in the summer of 2014 and with a new baby and a new house I completely overlooked updating our family car's registered address.

Between moving and earlier this year, we must have unknowingly driven into a congestion charge area within London.

I presume that a congestion charge notice and subsequent PCN was sent to the vehicle's registered address but obviously we were not aware of the issue of any PCN and only 3 or 4 months later did the current tenant forward a scary looking notice from Equitas bailiffs seeking over £650 in unpaid charges.

I contacted TfL and TEC immediately who told me to submit a PE3 form and explain the situation.

On 16 April 2015, I received notification that the stat dec/witness statement was refused by Northampton County Court and that I have the option to file a N244 application for a hearing.

Can anyone advise as to whether I should (1) pay the bailiff the outstanding amounts (which may have risen further, I haven’t checked) or (2) file a N244 and pay the £155 for a hearing to explain the situation and say that I didn’t get the opportunity to pay first time around?

The whole thing, especially the bailiffs, seem very intimidating but then so does a hearing!

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance.
O
Incandescent
So you moved house and apart from not updating the V5, also did not arrange for mail redirection ? These things are seen on this forum time after time.

It might be helpful to visit this website -

www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk

Small fee payable but nothing compared to bailiff charges. If you're prepared to pay the £155 the court attendance is not intimidating, it's not a criminal court.
Enceladus
£650 plus for a Congestion Charge PCN cannot be correct. It should have said £512. Please post up a scrubbed scan of the letter from the bailiff. Redact your name & address, the PCN number and the vehicle reg id mentioned. Please leave everything else visible.

Please confirm the date on the letter from the TEC? Do you mean it was dated the 16th or did you receive it on the 16th?

You can apply for a written hearing at a cost of £50. I suggest you do that, however you are running out of time and you will need to get your ducks in a row, hence the questions below.

Please confirm what ground you selected on the Statutory Declaration?
And what exactly you put on the Out of Time application as your reasons for being late with the SD?
When did you inform the DVLA of your new address?
Did TFL send you a copy of the letter (Statement of Truth) that they sent to the TEC detailing why they opposed your application? Please post up a scrubbed scan.
ozymodo
Thanks so much for the help.

I attach the paperwork with the Equitas bailiff letter, the PE3 and the letter from the Court.

Please confirm what ground you selected on the Statutory Declaration?

As per the attached.

And what exactly you put on the Out of Time application as your reasons for being late with the SD?

As per the attached.

When did you inform the DVLA of your new address?

March 2015.

Did TFL send you a copy of the letter (Statement of Truth) that they sent to the TEC detailing why they opposed your application? Please post up a scrubbed scan.

No, I've had nothing more than the letter from the Court.

Think that I have until tomorrow to lodge a form N244 (14 days from 16 April).

Thanks again,
O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.