Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP WY POLICE
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sneaky_pigs
Hi guys just got a letter through this morning caught at 47mph in a 30mph zone on my scooter can't see the offence as the details they have given me do not work when i try to login, but i am sure it is correct, i am quite observant (in my opinion haha) and i never saw a van and there were no real side alleys it could have been sitting so a bit confused and feel a bit entrapped but obviously this is legal?

Never had anything before and have been riding 5 years so a bit annoyed but i suppose it's my fault, the fact it was not visible i find leaves a bad taste but oh well. Anybody tell me what i am likely to expect no points before and the mention of some speed awareness course on the documents they sent me.

thanks

sneaky_pigs

Just as a side note the road is unmarked of speed signs and is a long open road, with no schools or any traffic really i know i was over though mellow.gif
The Rookie
Entrapment is enticing or coercing you into committing the offence, being hidden doesn't do that I think?

If the van had been visible it would make no difference, it's next to impossible to slow enough to make any difference so while it may seem more 'sporting' in reality it makes no odds.

That speed will qualify for a fixed penalty of 3pts and £100.

Do you have a full licence, is the scooter meant to be restricted?

No signs are needed if there is a system of street lighting as I'm sure you know from the Highway Code? Signs would be needed as you enter the limit but a lack of signs is not a defence on such a road anyway.
sneaky_pigs
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 25 Apr 2015 - 12:08) *
Entrapment is enticing or coercing you into committing the offence, being hidden doesn't do that I think?

If the van had been visible it would make no difference, it's next to impossible to slow enough to make any difference so while it may seem more 'sporting' in reality it makes no odds.

That speed will qualify for a fixed penalty of 3pts and £100.

Do you have a full licence, is the scooter meant to be restricted?

No signs are needed if there is a system of street lighting as I'm sure you know from the Highway Code? Signs would be needed as you enter the limit but a lack of signs is not a defence on such a road anyway.

Full driving license and a cbt so i ride with L plates on, no chance of a speed awareness course then as a first time offence? scooter does 50mph as a top speed, the road i travel on fequently at this speed as there are no speed cameras and nowhere i could see for a hideout spot, it is actually dangerous doing a slower speed as the traffic down there all goes around this speed but alas in these time of cuts money need to be made somehow.
Jlc
Nope, too fast for a course. Actually, quite close to a court summons...

QUOTE (sneaky_pigs @ Sat, 25 Apr 2015 - 12:20) *
it is actually dangerous doing a slower speed as the traffic down there all goes around this speed but alas in these time of cuts money need to be made somehow.

An interesting paradox. Well, they'll make lots of money then.........
Logician
The offer of a course depends only on the speed (up to limit x 110% + 9 mph) and not having done one in the last 3 years.
Gan
QUOTE (Jlc @ Sat, 25 Apr 2015 - 12:28) *
Nope, too fast for a course. Actually, quite close to a court summons...

QUOTE (sneaky_pigs @ Sat, 25 Apr 2015 - 12:20) *
it is actually dangerous doing a slower speed as the traffic down there all goes around this speed but alas in these time of cuts money need to be made somehow.

An interesting paradox. Well, they'll make lots of money then.........

I remember reading that the Google self-driving cars are programmed to travel at up to speed limit + 7% for improved safety in traffic
The Rookie
But those are designed to operate in the US.....once people get the message it will be safe to do the speed limit.
sneaky_pigs
I assume all is well here don't really know what i'm looking for, clutching at straws a bit

-
The Rookie
All Good.

Any need for the negative attitude though......imagine the chaos if there was no Police.
sneaky_pigs
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 27 Apr 2015 - 15:31) *
All Good.

Any need for the negative attitude though......imagine the chaos if there was no Police.

?
The Rookie
Your username and the file names.....
sneaky_pigs
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 27 Apr 2015 - 16:08) *

Sorry should i be positive about it? You are possibly ex police then if it strikes a nerve?, I have sped, but it is a revenue stream and if they hadn't hid like thieves i wouldn't have to pay £100, it is one thing being caught by a speed camera and another from someone clearly acting callously and hiding while doing it. Thus giving you no chance, the argument that i was speeding is valid and i will pay the £100! which is ridiculous in itself, the majority of motorists speed in my opinion and this is a road i travel every other day, I will now expect it because they must have made a fortune. I am not saying i should be able to do whatever speed i like but this was an area with no houses, crossings no traffic lights and little traffic, anything like that and i oblige with the signs otherwise it is a waste of time...... in my opinion
peterguk
QUOTE (sneaky_pigs @ Mon, 27 Apr 2015 - 16:26) *

Sorry should i be positive about it? You are possibly ex police then if it strikes a nerve?, I have sped, but it is a revenue stream and if they hadn't hid like thieves i wouldn't have to pay £100, it is one thing being caught by a speed camera and another from someone clearly acting callously and hiding while doing it. Thus giving you no chance, the argument that i was speeding is valid and i will pay the £100! which is ridiculous in itself, the majority of motorists speed in my opinion and this is a road i travel every other day, I will now expect it because they must have made a fortune. I am not saying i should be able to do whatever speed i like but this was an area with no houses, crossings no traffic lights and little traffic, anything like that and i oblige with the signs otherwise it is a waste of time...... in my opinion

I see no problem here. You openly admit to being a regular speeder. Now you've been caught and you don't like it.

Easy answer....
BaggieBoy
Your "they must have made a fortune" argument falls at the first hurdle, the police get none of the revenue from fines.
Jlc
Rapidly heading to flame pit stuff. We can only really say (here) where the law sees this and it's all 'bad news' I'm afraid. I don't know the road or the circumstances and you may be annoyed but if you've exceeded the limit (either by error or ignoring it) then the law is indeed a blunt instrument.
Mat_Shamus

Sorry should i be positive about it? You are possibly ex police then if it strikes a nerve?, I have sped, but it is a revenue stream and if they hadn't hid like thieves i wouldn't have to pay £100,

I'd probably be a bit negative if i was being prosecuted for doing 31 or 32mph in a 30mph limit but if i was doing 47mph in a 30mph limit i'd be quite thankful that i was able to get away with a relatively small fine and points rather than a court summons.

You say if they hadn't hid like thieves you wouldn't need to pay £100, but if you had adhered to the speed limit you wouldn't have had to pay it either.
Jlc
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 27 Apr 2015 - 16:37) *
Your "they must have made a fortune" argument falls at the first hurdle, the police get none of the revenue from fines.

But helps with the deficit. ninja.gif
sneaky_pigs
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 27 Apr 2015 - 16:37) *

Go on? genuinely interested where does it go charity
southpaw82
Government general revenue.
sneaky_pigs
Ok well that makes that obsolete as an argument then, the easy thing to say is just stick to 30 and there would have been no problem, what I'm saying is there was no traffic, houses or crossings, if I was to be caught at any point by a speed camera I hold my hands up and say no problem, it's the fact there is quite a large element of deceit that comes with it, I'm not sure why I am bothering to be honest, the law is the law but I literally could not see them hiding... Oh well
southpaw82
Out of interest, why do you expect to see them? Speed enforcement seems to be the only activity where the public expects to be able to see "them" (who are more than likely not police officers anyway). I've never heard anyone say the police should be visible to catch any other type of offender (i.e. the classic burglar).
The Rookie

Sorry should i be positive about it? You are possibly ex police then if it strikes a nerve?, I have sped, but it is a revenue stream and if they hadn't hid like thieves i wouldn't have to pay £100,

No, not ex police of any sort, and please see my earlier reply, even if the van is easy to see they will almost always catch you before you see it and can respond, so they would still have your £100.

In future I would suggest knowing facts before ranting, it makes the rant more credible than if you are arguing from a position of ignorance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.