Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding and police training vehicle
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Dottir
Hi there.

I was travelling up the M6 in Cumbria today (about 85-90 I think) and a white car shot up behind me and started tailgating me, so I went a bit faster to pass the car in the next lane, then pulled in front of it to let the white car pass.

It then dropped in front of me and I saw it had a police training sticker on the back. It then shot off again.

Am I likely to have been caught speeding? I have no idea if there were any cameras etc. with the car.

Also, I am not sure that I didn't stay below 90 to pass the other car so I could pull in and let it pass, so with the possibility of a ban if I *was* caught going over, how strong is this possibility? Or is it more likely I would get points? I have a clean licence at the moment.

Many thanks smile.gif

Jlc
They would have probably stopped you at the time if they were going to pursue the speeding.

However, they could issue a NIP via the post later. They have 14 days to serve this on the registered keeper.

They don't need a camera - they could corroborate with their speedo (which may well be calibrated too but is not necessary).

90 is unlikely to see a ban if caught. 4-6 points.
Dottir
Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking they didn't stop because the next exit was just ahead and they took it, if they'd stopped me they would have had to drive miles out of their way to get back to it.

I'm more worried about the points v. ban issue if they do decide to send me an NiP and I did go above 90.
martinbiz
90 should see an COFP £100 and 3 points
Logician
QUOTE (Dottir @ Tue, 21 Apr 2015 - 20:16) *
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking they didn't stop because the next exit was just ahead and they took it, if they'd stopped me they would have had to drive miles out of their way to get back to it. I'm more worried about the points v. ban issue if they do decide to send me an NiP and I did go above 90.

It would be usual to issue a fixed penalty of £100 + 3 points up to and including 95mph, after that the offence would go to court, but a ban is unlikely below 100mph, and only becomes more likely than not at approaching 110mph. Many magistrates would rather give you 6 points and hope to modify your future behaviour, than a short-term ban which might soon be forgotten.

Dottir
Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful. smile.gif

I'll just have to see what happens now, if anything.
ookware
Having done a course we were much more interested in our own driving than anyone else's. I wouldn't worry too much, the whole idea is to get driver's used to driving at high speeds and dealing with the public when trying to respond rather than finding a minor speeding offence.

If I stuck everyone on for offences seen when driving to emergency calls I'd never be able to deal with the actual jobs!
Dwain
Hi,

They may not have stopped you due to the high chance you were caught by a camera van. I used to travel that route on a regular basis, now if I have to I stick to the speed limit, it's just not worth chancing it.

I fully admit that I used to go slightly faster than the train. Never again though.

Dwain
Unzippy
QUOTE (ookware @ Wed, 22 Apr 2015 - 16:57) *
Having done a course we were much more interested in our own driving than anyone else's.

+1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.