Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Barnet Saracens] PCN parked outside my own house
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
unfortunate09
Hi guys,

About a year and a half ago Barnet council brought Resident Permit restrictions to my road on event days as it's near the Saracens stadium. I was opposed to this at the time. Last Saturday was the first time I've ever needed to use my permit. I parked outside my own house, with my resident permit clearly displayed, but on a raised curb yellow line as opposed to a bay. Outside my house there is enough space to park a car, but for some reason it's not a bay. Anyhow, I return to find a PCN on my car. Is there anything I can do about this, as I feel it's absolutely ridiculous for me to get fined £110 to park outside my own house?

All help greatly appreciated.

PASTMYBEST
w
We are going to need more to go on. Photos of ant signs, both where you were parked and the restricted zone entry signs

A GSV of the area would help, I understand that you are reluctant to give an exact location as you have identified it as your address.

Date and time of contravention also
Incandescent
The permit will only allow parking in marked bays yet you say you were on a yellow line. If you were parked within the restriction times you're bang-to-rights even if outside your own house, pemit or not.
unfortunate09
Hmmm....that really sucks. Especially given it's literally right outside my house. Is there anything else I have a leg to stand on with?

This is the yellow line outside my house next to the raised curb (my house on the left):

This is a clearer view of the road, with the bay across the road highlighted in red, as well as the bay in front visible:

This is what the signage on the resident permit bay across the road says:

This is the restricted zone entry sign which is on the top of the road adjacent to me

orford
Can't see any obvious grounds for appeal. Even though you say this was the first time you needed to use the permit, it seems astonishing that it didn't occur to you that on event days permit holders had to park in the marked and signed bays.
unfortunate09
If I'm honest, I was on holiday at the time, and had my car had been parked in that spot for more than a week. It didn't even occur to me that there would be an event day, as I usually park in my drive
PASTMYBEST
If you can show you were on holiday, and parked before the next event day for the 11th was signed, you may be able to persuade the council to cancel due to mitigating circumstances. Worth it if the council re-offer the discount.

Without further advise i wouldn't risk the discount though.
Earl Purple
Get the traffic orders checked on the street.

I didn't mind the parking bays so much although I think 1-6pm is far too long a period, when something like 2-4pm would suffice. I did object to the yellow lines. There was no need for them. Does the traffic order actually state a parking restriction in that location at that time?

Mr Mustard is usually a good one to consult on Saracens parking tickets, I think.

unfortunate09
The Waiting and Loading Restriction Order will introduce yellow lines where parking places are not provided in certain lengths of road in the area, which will restrict parking during the hours that the CPZ operates (Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 6pm on Event Days), and will incorporate Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 6pm on Event Days or Sunday 1pm to 6pm on Event Days restrictions as appropriate to existing lengths of waiting restrictions.

Taken from this link:
I believe this is the traffic order?

My road is listed at the bottom unfortunately.

hcandersen
The meaning of the CPZ sign posted by the OP is that waiting on yellow lines is only restricted on event days. At all other times there are no yellow line restrictions. I've no idea why there's a permit identifier in the sign.

OP, is this your understanding? It would certainly explain why you didn't get a PCN for being on the yellow line for the rest of the week.

OP, please reinstate all info in your PCN except personal data and re-post.

Was the Next Event Day showing when you left your car?

unfortunate09
hcanderson, my understanding is that these yellow lines are only for event days. The CPZ sign is located at the top of the road adjacent to mine (not my road), so I must admit I rarely check the signage to see if the next event day was showing when I left my car. If I assume they change it immediately after the last home event (which was a week before I left on holiday), then it would have been up. I'm honestly not sure.

This is all info of my PCN:

PCN Front
PCN Back

hcandersen
A yellow line and parking spaces which are in operation for 15 days out of 365.

I can't find the time or date of contravention in the PCN.

OP, by the way, don't park on the kerb, it's an offence.
Incandescent
QUOTE (unfortunate09 @ Fri, 17 Apr 2015 - 09:00) *
hcanderson, my understanding is that these yellow lines are only for event days. The CPZ sign is located at the top of the road adjacent to mine (not my road), so I must admit I rarely check the signage to see if the next event day was showing when I left my car. If I assume they change it immediately after the last home event (which was a week before I left on holiday), then it would have been up. I'm honestly not sure.

This is all info of my PCN:

PCN Front
PCN Back

Yes, I think you're right, it is a CPZ with an event day restriction 1-6 pm, so the yellow line restriction applies as per the sign. So ordinarily you can park outside your house on the yellow line except on match days between the stated times. I can see the confusion you had with the permit you have, but as said before, a permit only applies to marked bays. Ths sign you showed of a sign for "permit parking only" seems to imply there are marked bays, but better if the context of the sign is shown.
unfortunate09
QUOTE (hcandersen @ Fri, 17 Apr 2015 - 11:17) *
A yellow line and parking spaces which are in operation for 15 days out of 365.

I can't find the time or date of contravention in the PCN.

OP, by the way, don't park on the kerb, it's an offence.

Sorry, I meant by a raised curb, not on it.

This is the PCN with those details on it:

PCN Front (Details)
Mr Mustard
I have never lost a Saracens case at PATAS and must be in double figures by now, probably at 25.

The council can never prove their signage was changed or when. Add to that your absence on holiday and we ought to be able to defeat this.

I challenge PCN in return for a donation to charity if we win. Simply email me at mrmustard@zoho.com if you would like me to handle the entire thing for you.
unfortunate09
Messaged. Many thanks Mr. Mustard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.