Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road Tax
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
brandon
Car tax expired yesterday, just renewed now. Will I be penalised for having no tax and not declaring the vehicle SORN for the 13 or so hours that has passed today??

The car was parked in my garage...... Ahem.
The Rookie
No..... to clarify it's vehicle excise duty not car or road tax which confusingly imply the tax is somehow spent to the benefit of the person paying it.

Get it SORN or taxed ASAP, but the DVLA allow some grace depending on what then happens, for example if you then pay you'll have paid from when the last one expired anyway.
kommando
If the original renewal letter goes missing they send another 14 days or so after the tax has ran out giving you one last chance, so renewing 13 hrs later will not have any problems.
The Rookie
My Daughters car wasn't SORNed for 6 weeks as we were waiting for the V5C and as the previous RK clearly didn't send off for it had to then apply for it, SORN declared as soon as we got the V5C and no action taken (you can't SORN until you are the RK).
StuartBu
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 1 Apr 2015 - 12:29) *
No..... to clarify it's vehicle excise duty not car or road tax which confusingly imply the tax is somehow spent to the benefit of the person paying it.

Get it SORN or taxed ASAP, but the DVLA allow some grace depending on what then happens, for example if you then pay you'll have paid from when the last one expired anyway.

Oh FGS ..Not that hoary old argument ....we all know what it is but I'll bet most folk call it Road Tax ....except for pedants . ...Much like we say M.O.T. when the Ministry died years ago .
southpaw82
Pedantry is the local sport around here. It has its place when it corrects a relevant error but, as here, when it's pedantry for pedantry's sake it starts to get tiresome.
brandon
Thanks for the replies, I know it as road tax and I know that if I don't renew it every 12 months (or 6 if you prefer) then I know I could be punished!

I didn't do it on purpose but had an awful feeling today when it dawned on me that I'd let it slip my mind! Anyway, paid and sorted now for another year so no worries there.

Out of interest, had I been stopped by police, or driven past a police vehicle with number plate recognition would I be prosecuted for having a car on the road with no tax? Would I need to worry perhaps of a NIP (or similar) arriving through the post in the near future??
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (brandon @ Wed, 1 Apr 2015 - 16:39) *
Thanks for the replies, I know it as road tax and I know that if I don't renew it every 12 months (or 6 if you prefer) then I know I could be punished!

I didn't do it on purpose but had an awful feeling today when it dawned on me that I'd let it slip my mind! Anyway, paid and sorted now for another year so no worries there.

Out of interest, had I been stopped by police, or driven past a police vehicle with number plate recognition would I be prosecuted for having a car on the road with no tax? Would I need to worry perhaps of a NIP (or similar) arriving through the post in the near future??

If you want to worry,you worry it's your choice. I prefer to hope
Chris1207
What worries me is that there are motorists out there that have renewed their VED license a few hours (or even a few days) late, and are worrying that they are somehow going to be punished by 'the man' for their reprehensible administrative error. Quite telling with regards to how people feel about our government IMO.

Kinda like when you get a fine through for failing to renew the VED on a £0 rated vehicle...
brandon
I feel ashamed and disgusted with myself that I allowed the mistake to occur, which would be heightened if I were to fall foul of a punishment. I hope of course that my error goes unpunished and I make no habit of being the wrong side of the law/rules/regulations - which to me explains why I was/am so worried that a punishment may come my way.
Steve_999
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Wed, 1 Apr 2015 - 12:52) *
...Much like we say M.O.T. when the Ministry died years ago .

. . . . and the test certificate still has "MOT Test Certificate" printed on it?
Earl Purple
DVLA will issue the fines for untaxed/unSORNed vehicles whether they are being driven or not, and usually allow 2 weeks.

However driving it whilst untaxed can lead to an immediate penalty.

If it was in the garage for those 13 hours there should be no problems.
Rallyman72
QUOTE (Steve_999 @ Thu, 2 Apr 2015 - 02:00) *

. . . . and the test certificate still has "MOT Test Certificate" printed on it?

Except that they no longer issue test certificates, just a plain piece of A4 overprinted with the test details and which is not6 valid as proof of MOT.
Steve_999
QUOTE (Rallyman72 @ Tue, 7 Apr 2015 - 11:32) *
QUOTE (Steve_999 @ Thu, 2 Apr 2015 - 02:00) *

Except that they no longer issue test certificates, just a plain piece of A4 overprinted with the test details and which is not6 valid as proof of MOT.

Strange, in that case, that it has the words "MOT Test Certificate"printed on it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.