Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A difficult overtaking
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Daikiri
Hello, everyone. I'm very scared and confused about the things that might happen, and I really hope that it's not as bad as it looks. Last night I was driving home on a single carriageway. There were 3 cars in front of me. Two of them overtook the first one, as it did 45mph where the limit was 60mph. I decided to do it as well. The road was straight, so I could see the car that would come in front very far away, I pulled back, let myself accelerate and started overtaking process. Unfortunatly in the middle of it I realized that car in front came faster as I thought, or maybe guy, I've tried to overtake slightly accelerated. I've paniced, because I knew that braking will not help, so I accelerated and squezed in between coming and overtaken cars. I know how bad the situation was, but there was no touch of cars, or emergency braking. Altought I was followed by signal and lights flash. I looked at the wing mirror, no one pulled aside, so I've carried my travel with my heart and head bouncing, looking where to stop and calm down. But the overtaked guy turned on a full beam on me,and kept it on about 2miles till we've reached a small town (I needed to do a harsh brake just because I couldn't see 4 deer on a road as I he blinded me). I was so scarred of him and things could happen that I've locked my car doors and prayed for a green light. Unfortunatly it was red. He stept out of his car, approched, I let the window down, and then in an aggresive manier told me 'consider yourself to jail. I have your plate numbers'. I pulled on a side at the nearest bay, and sat in there crying. Found myself unable to drive for the rest of an hour...
I know I did a horrible thing, if I could I would like to appologize him and that another driver. I have my licence for almost two years now, and I'm very resposable and careful driver. The question is 'if he'll go to the police, will I receive a letter for a Court?. Can I relly be imprissioned, loose my licence or receive a huge fine?' I don't know if there was another person in his car, as when I've tried to overtake him I was concentrated on a road, and after it I was just to scared to look into back mirror...
I'm a young women, and I still can't calm down.
crashdetective
I'm sure every seasoned motorist on this forum has regretted some bit of their driving in the past. I wouldn't worry about it. There's probably little chance of anything happening.
Jlc
+1

Chances are you'll hear nothing.

The process would be a letter to the registered keeper to nominate the driver for an alleged offence.

Overtaking is not always straightforward but in hindsight braking is generally a better option than accelerating (and pulling in behind the car you are attempting to pass)

There is potential for an allegation of careless and dangerous driving. They are basically different levels of falling below the standards expected of a safe and competent driver. I would consider your actions at least careless but you won't be going to jail!

Indeed, the other driver's actions of maintaining high beams is also an offence!

Wait and see if you get any contact. As there doesn't appear to be an 'accident' this would have to be done within 2 weeks.
typefish
If what you've suggested is true - that is, the overtakee possibly accelerated during your overtaking procedure, then he's a bit in the wrong too.

Also:

QUOTE (crashdetective @ Fri, 27 Mar 2015 - 19:14) *
I wouldn't worry about it. There's probably little chance of anything happening.

Gan
I would put the chances of him reporting to the police as next to zero

So you misjudged an overtake - on a long straight road with no collision, maybe a careless driving offence but not a dangerous

A competent driver would not have been travelling along a straight road at 45 mph holding up following vehicles
A competent driver would have braked to let you in, not as I suspect, accelerated
A competent driver would not have deliberately dazzled another motorist along an unlit country road, nearly causing an accident
A competent driver would have let it go or might have asked if you were OK after the overtaking scare, not acted aggressively to a female motorist

This was road-rage pure and simple

There's nothing to prevent you reporting it yourself to the police - that you were followed dangerously and threatened by a driver that you had overtaken
It might not be the first report about his vehicle
Jlc
+1 again

People do some funny things...
SatNavSam
Unfortunately there are a number of drivers who like to drive along well under the limit, and then, when people try to pass they accelerate. said people then pull back in and idiot slows down again. There used to be one like that near me - until he did it to an unmarked police car. rolleyes.gif
KH_
QUOTE (SatNavSam @ Fri, 27 Mar 2015 - 20:39) *
Unfortunately there are a number of drivers who like to drive along well under the limit, and then, when people try to pass they accelerate. said people then pull back in and idiot slows down again. There used to be one like that near me - until he did it to an unmarked police car. rolleyes.gif

Drivers do it to trucks all the time, not excessively under the limit but maybe 51/52 in lane 1 of a motorway, as they notice a truck pulling alongside to overtake they speed up to the back of the truck ahead of them.

Two minutes later they're doing 51/2 again. After the 3rd or 4th time I wish I was in GTA and just nudge them off the road... ;-)
Daikiri
Thank you, for replies, maybe I'll calm down now a little bit. I know he had all rights to be furiously angry on me,but as I always slow down, when someone overtakes me, or pull a little bit to the side when I see a motorcyclist approaching so he could have some room, I've probably expected a little bit to much. I overmeasured my own abilities and a car power...and I just hope that it will calm down like this, as there is no bigger punishment as my own worries atm...and for next two or more weeks.
I'll update the topic if the letter will come...
thisisntme
Why did he allow the other two cars to overtake and then accellerate when you attempted to pass? I suspect he was driving using something other than his brain thinking he's lost male pride by being overtaken by a woman. Note down everything you remember of the incident and keep it safe. You may never need it.
crashdetective
You seemed to have learned the golden rule of driving, one which I might add most drivers fail!

'If you make a mistake, acknowledge it, analyse it, learn from it'.

Well done!

You survived, nobody was harmed and time to move on...
Logician
As above, it is very unlikely that you will ever hear anything more about this, but if the guy you were trying to overtake did accelerate, that is a deliberate and very dangerous act whereas you at worst misjudged your overtaking. Again, driving behind you with full beams on was a deliberate attempt to intimidate you and itself an offence, either careless driving or driving without proper consideration.
It is good advice to write down all the details you can remember while they are fresh in your mind just in case of the unlikely event that you hear anything more about this.
As a newish driver this is a very frightening incident, but try to put it behind you, and not let it undermine your confidence.
Gan
In consolation

My money says that life for him is a constant reminder of his failed career and dreams, courtesy of his younger boss by day and his nagging wife by night

If you really want to put him in perspective, picture him sitting on a toilet with his trousers around his ankles.
Afterward you'll find it difficult to take him seriously again

Craig_E
Reading your story, on face value I'd say he was in far more wrong than you were. What kind of person gets out of their car at traffic lights to verbally assault someone!!

If I were you, if you do happen to hear anything from the police, I'd file a report of your own!
kommando
Learn from this experience and adjust your driving, plan the overtake in advance.

Pull back and keep a good distance back from the car in front, when a likely passing spot appears then change down and start to accelerate, as you are well behind the car in front you have plenty of time to change your mind. If you continue the manoeuvre the speed you achieve when passing the car in front means if they accelerate its less likely to cause an issue to you. You also will spend less time on the wrong side of the road. You need to keep a good eye out for following vehicles trying to overtake you, the gap you leave will temp them to try, if they do then let them overtake. This works best on roads you know as you can start to prepare for the overtake in advance, used on cars going just below the speed limit runs the risk of a ticket and best not tried.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.