Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meaning of this Sign
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
FerrariDave
Hi,

Just a quick query (hopefully I've posted this in the right section) - can anyone explain the meaning of this traffic light and sign combination that I pass every day on the way to work please?

Thanks,

David
calderbear
The traffic signal applies to buses and cycles only. I can't see the full junction layout from your picture, so not sure to which lane it applies - possibly a bus gate?
FerrariDave
A wider angle shot of the junction:

Lodesman
I'm as confused as you are !

Do the lights only apply to buses and bikes?
Is the lane you are in only for buses and bikes?
If you are in a car, can you ignore the lights (I doubt it!) ?

It might be interesting to see this junction on Google Earth - can you identify it please?
Korting
There's only one traffic light at this point, so is it compliant and what happens if a bulb fails?
Gan
There looks like one on the other side of the road with the same bus sign
Spenny
It could actually be for the bus lane to the right and the intent is that the junction is straight on for ordinary traffic so no need for traffic light control, but there is something going on to provide traffic light control for right turning vehicles into the bus lane. My guess is that the intent is that if a bus arrives at the wrong time it can be held, but normal traffic can ignore the light (but obviously might get stuck behind a bus).

However, it is such a bizarre set up that I doubt any motorist would properly interpret that light. It is more the sort of setup that goes with a bus lane - is that a bus lane remnant to the left and they have shifted the traffic light without properly checking them.

I'd call the local council and complain myself.
FerrariDave
I'm guessing that the infrastructure was meant to be much bigger with more roads leading off than there actually is at this stage, however, I'm really lost as to the logic behind it.

A link to Google Maps of the junction: https://goo.gl/maps/f5bu5 (I'm heading North-ish in the previous pics).
Jlc
I see buses are only allowed to drive over this scrubland...

It looks like unfinished work, here's the set of lights in question. I suspect they are always green?
Spenny
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 13 Mar 2015 - 09:51) *
I see buses are only allowed to drive over this scrubland...

It looks like unfinished work, here's the set of lights in question. I suspect they are always green?

...and a fine example of a typical 2 metre long cycle path.

FWIW, Google maps shows a large grid of non-existent roads for the evolving business park.
outlook
The lights the other side don't have that sign and instead have a No Left Turn, which is what you'd imagine should be on these lights too (or rather a No Right Turn from this perspective)
FerrariDave
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 13 Mar 2015 - 10:51) *
I suspect they are always green?

Always green, unless pedestrians trigger the pedestrian lights then they're red...
DancingDad
Gawd only knows what they are attempting to show.

The Blue roundel with bus and bike is a 953 and shows a route restricted to buses and pedal cycles only
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/31...20023113_en_099

So if the OP is driving past it every day, a contravention every day. Whether or not they enforce is a differing matter but try the very similar Tram Gate signs in Nottingham or exactly the same signs in Birmingham (and other places) and expect a postal PCN for your journey.
FerrariDave
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 14 Mar 2015 - 00:21) *
Gawd only knows what they are attempting to show.

The Blue roundel with bus and bike is a 953 and shows a route restricted to buses and pedal cycles only
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/31...20023113_en_099

So if the OP is driving past it every day, a contravention every day. Whether or not they enforce is a differing matter but try the very similar Tram Gate signs in Nottingham or exactly the same signs in Birmingham (and other places) and expect a postal PCN for your journey.

This was exactly my concern, as I'm driving past it every working day with no other way in haha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.