Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP received on 11/3/15 but dated 4/7/2013?!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
im2010
Hi

On 9/6/2013 i was driving a friends car and was recorded as driving 36 in a 30mph zone. I sent the NIP back with my details on within the 28 day period but didn't hear anything back.......until yesterday (11/3/2015). The letter is dated 4/7/13! ohmy.gif

Does the 6 month rule apply? Any help appreciated.

Kind regards
Jlc
They have 6 months from the date of the offence to prosecute.

But a s172 offence (naming the driver) can occur later - does this letter include anything about naming the driver as this must still be responded to.
AntonyMMM
Any summons would have to be applied for (information laid) within 6 months of the offence.

What exactly have you received ? It is not going to be a NIP this long after the offence, unless of course it has been stuck somewhere in the postal system for nearly 2 years.
The Rookie
Indeed, what have you received, a NIP, a summons, a notice of outstanding fine or a letter from DVLA saying your licence is going to be revoked...all are possible!

Reading between the lines, you appear to have replied to your friends NIP (when it clearly says on it to be completed by the addressee) and where then sent a NIP in your name dated 4/7/13 you have just got. If that is the case, KEEP THE ENVELOPE in case the postmark is of help ref postage date.

The logical conclusion then is that the other post sent (reminder, summons, notice of fine etc) all went missing as well, maybe never to re-appear. Have you moved at all in that time?
im2010
AntonyMMM - I've received an NIP. "In accordance with Section 1 of the Road Traffic......telling me the offence" then the next bit asks me for the name and address of the driver (this was already completed in June 2013 which is why it's coming to me. Then on the reverse is the request for information and some guidance on how to fill the form in.

My question is about the timeframe. Should I still fill my details in again and send it back? I have been at the same address so I don't think post has gone missing.

Letter attached

Letter attached
Jlc
It's sounds like this is an extremely old letter than has somehow been delivered...

But if it is a 'fresh' request then the s172 (name the driver) would still need to be responded to.

I would contact them - or just return the nomination knowing that there's nothing they can do about the underlying offence.
im2010
Thanks JIc - I was contemplating calling them so will do later on today.

If it was an old letter that was delivered yesterday then surely there would have been other letters following that? Summons etc? Surely all of them can't have gone astray? Unless i have a postman who checks anything with "Camera Enforcement Office" on the back!
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (im2010 @ Thu, 12 Mar 2015 - 08:13) *
Hi On 9/6/2013 i was driving a friends car and was recorded as driving 36 in a 30mph zone. I sent the NIP back with my details on within the 28 day period

Did YOU send it back, or did your friend? It was your friend's NIP, he/she should have signed it. Who signed it?

im2010
My friend filled in my details, signed and sent it back
Jlc
QUOTE (im2010 @ Thu, 12 Mar 2015 - 11:16) *
Thanks JIc - I was contemplating calling them so will do later on today.

If it was an old letter that was delivered yesterday then surely there would have been other letters following that? Summons etc? Surely all of them can't have gone astray? Unless i have a postman who checks anything with "Camera Enforcement Office" on the back!

It is bizarre. I would contact the DVLA (or do the online check) to see if you have any convictions you are not aware of...

If it is indeed an old letter that has been found at the bottom of some pile in a sorting office then it would be likely that more paperwork would have followed nearer the time, i.e. reminder, summons, judgment etc... (But the chances of these going astray do is unlikely)
The Rookie
As you have just received it, I would respond in good faith, but take a photocopy of the original first, I'd also enclose a letter explaining you only just received it.

Meanwhile I would definitely be contacting DVLA ASAFP to make sure your licence isn't revoked.
Logician
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 12 Mar 2015 - 11:55) *
Meanwhile I would definitely be contacting DVLA ASAFP to make sure your licence isn't revoked.

You can do that online HERE

im2010
Thanks for all the responses! Extremely helpful

Just checked online and no points showing....phew...
im2010
Called Merseyside Police who were just as baffled and advised me to ignore it! Yippee!
Chris1207
While they have said over the phone to ignore it, you want to be covering your arse, just in case 'computer says no'...

So, write a letter along these lines:

"To Whom it may concern,

I am writing to you as a follow up to my phone call of XX date at XX time, when I spoke to XX (if you have their name). On XX date I received a NIP dated XX. Whilst you have verbally advised me to ignore the NIP as it has been issued in error / due to the time period that has elapsed, I am writing this letter to satisfy my obligations under s.172 of the Road Traffic Act.

Please find enclosed the completed NIP. I would appreceite it if you would confirm in writing your receipt of such, and that no further action will be taken with regard to this matter.

Regards,
XX"

Fill in the NIP in it's entirety, sign it, date it, take a copy of it and your letter and get (free) proof of posting from the post office.

As I say, this is just an arse covering exercise, but worth doing.

HTH.
The Rookie
Did you keep the envelope? Was it franked or stamped? I'm thinking practical joke here.
im2010
The envelope was franked and looks genuine enough. Plus it has details of the actual NIP.

Chris1207 - thanks for the advice; will do a letter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.