Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heathrow Clearway notice
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
HeathrowAirporter
This is what my wife received out of the blue yesterday. I have raised an Official Complaint against the Metropolitan Police based on the following factors:

1. No Fixed Penalty Notice was received. I appreciate that a "ticket" does not have to given at the time but it is normal for the notice to be sent with a supporting photograph a week or two later.
2. There is no Washington Road at Terminal 5. Google Maps brings up Washington Road in the Central Area (Terminals 1 2 and 3). We can neither confirm or deny my wife was at Heathrow on the day in question as she is a very infrequent visitor.
3. Under UK Law, Parking has been de-criminalised. This lketter is issued by the "Traffic Criminal Justice Operational Command Unit". Is it a criminal matter or not?
4. Again under UK Law, to which the Government's own web site refers, my wife should have been given two opportunities, one informal and one formal, to challenge the violation prior to making payment or electing to go to a magistrates' court. The letter affords no such opportunity.

One wonders how many motorists are intimidated into paying spurious "Fixed Penalties" because some petty minded official has targets to meet or is jealous of someone's shiny new car or status as an overseas traveller. To my way of thinking, this is legalised theft, extortion and deception (all criminal offfences proper) by those supposed to uphold law and order!

bidderman1969
QUOTE (HeathrowAirporter @ Sun, 8 Mar 2015 - 21:35) *
This is what my wife received out of the blue yesterday. I have raised an Official Complaint against the Metropolitan Police based on the following factors:

1. No Fixed Penalty Notice was received. I appreciate that a "ticket" does not have to given at the time but it is normal for the notice to be sent with a supporting photograph a week or two later.
2. There is no Washington Road at Terminal 5. Google Maps brings up Washington Road in the Central Area (Terminals 1 2 and 3). We can neither confirm or deny my wife was at Heathrow on the day in question as she is a very infrequent visitor.
3. Under UK Law, Parking has been de-criminalised. This lketter is issued by the "Traffic Criminal Justice Operational Command Unit". Is it a criminal matter or not?
4. Again under UK Law, to which the Government's own web site refers, my wife should have been given two opportunities, one informal and one formal, to challenge the violation prior to making payment or electing to go to a magistrates' court. The letter affords no such opportunity.

One wonders how many motorists are intimidated into paying spurious "Fixed Penalties" because some petty minded official has targets to meet or is jealous of someone's shiny new car or status as an overseas traveller. To my way of thinking, this is legalised theft, extortion and deception (all criminal offfences proper) by those supposed to uphold law and order!

Don't understand that, the offence is "driver of a motor vehicle permit it to remain stationary on a clearway ", eh? You have to stop to allow people to alight from the vehicle to go to the airport?????
Landshark
Ranty type Stuff

1) If you don't get a ticket at the time, then this is what you get, it's a police not PPC so no photos etc.

2) There is a Washington Road at Terminal 5, it's the ramp that leads down from the drop off/pick up point. If you wife is an infrequent visitor surely she should remember if she has been there!!

3) parking has been decriminalised, so police do not deal with yellow lines and stuff like that. They do however do other offences such as stopping on zig zags, bus lanes, obstruction and, Yep you've guessed it clearway offences!!

4) No idea what you are on about, you get two choices, pay the ticket or go to the Mags court to argue your case, that's it!!
The Rookie
I think the key point here is that the Police allege an FPN was attached to the car and you say it wasn't.

Gogle maps is not a definitive source, as an infrequent visitor you presumably know whether she was there that day or not?
cabbyman
There are specific drop off points at T5. It's pretty obvious when a vehicle has not yet reached that point, or, indeed, gone out the other end. As an area which carries a higher security risk, patrols by both civilian enforcement and police are frequent.
Fleagle

So where was your wife at 3.58pm on Wednesday 21 January 2015 (this is rhetorical smile.gif )?

Does she have evidence (work records, for example, or a diary, timed sent emails or receipts from an ATM or a shop, or a train ticket, dentist or GP appointment, a timed phone call from home (on a recent bill) or anything at all) which make it unlikely/impossible for her to have been at that location at that time?

If so, please state what that evidence is and we'll take it from there.
HeathrowAirporter
QUOTE (cabbyman @ Mon, 9 Mar 2015 - 20:54) *
There are specific drop off points at T5. It's pretty obvious when a vehicle has not yet reached that point, or, indeed, gone out the other end. As an area which carries a higher security risk, patrols by both civilian enforcement and police are frequent.

Thanks for your replies. Whilst I may not agree with it, the law was broken and I have to pay my wife's £40. Another example of the police being used to collect revenue for a private company.

If it is any help to anyone who follows hereafter, here's why:

1. Washington Road is the "Road outside Terminal 5 Departures level and includes the Up and Down Ramps. Whilst it does not appear on any maps, it is the right road. Checking my daughter's flying roster, it would have been the right date and time that my wife was collecting her as daughter's own car had been left at home for a service.
2. Whilst the road is owned by Heathrow Airports Limited, the Metropolitan Police enforce parking restrictions and pass all fine revenues back to HAL.
3. The road is designated a "Clearway", and, although there is provision to stop to "Drop Passengers Off", you are not allowed to "Pick Passengers Up" even though the time taken for both activities is the same. (This regulation was put in place to try to stop the unlicenced minicabs touting for business.)
4. You are only allowed to drive round once. (This is the bit where they have my wife bang to rights). The signs clearly state "No Return within 60 minutes." My wife drove round the block three times and it was on the third occasion the PCSO decided to write a ticket which was never sent.
5. There is no requirement for the Police to send a ticket, (although it is usual with other forces to send you something to show you have been reported). The letter should, indeed, be worded better as the second paragraph implies that you have received a ticket and chosen not to pay. That is what led to my "ranty type stuff" because this weas a bolt from the blue six weeks after the event.

FWIW, this situation is now the same at any UK Airport - you may drop off passengers free of charge, but if you want to pick up you have to go into the car parks and pay:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussio...rop-Off-Pick-Up
The Rookie
Many airports charge for drop off as well now....

Are you sure the money from the FPN goes to HAL and not central funds as would be usual?

At the end of the day it's private land, the landowner is entitled to set what restrictions they want, there is also law in place to support this.

HeathrowAirporter
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 10 Mar 2015 - 10:12) *
Many airports charge for drop off as well now....

Are you sure the money from the FPN goes to HAL and not central funds as would be usual?

At the end of the day it's private land, the landowner is entitled to set what restrictions they want, there is also law in place to support this.

Definiotely - because the road is owned and maintained by HAL, revenues go back to the Airport Operator who, allegedly, make more profit from parking and fixed penalties than they do from their airport and retail activities!
HeathrowAirporter

....but unusual for the police to be enforcers and for a decriminalised "parking" offence to be classified as the criminal "stopping on a clearway" matter, no?

A few years ago, when we lived in Sussex, a local sales rep used to park his car on my driveway and take the train into London. Sussex Police told me this was a "civil matter" and one they couldn't get involved in.

As always, one law for wealthy corporates and one for everyone else! sad.gif
peterguk
QUOTE (HeathrowAirporter @ Tue, 10 Mar 2015 - 11:15) *
but unusual for the police to be enforcers and for a decriminalised "parking" offence to be classified as the criminal "stopping on a clearway" matter, no?

Unusual maybe, but unlawful, not.

Plus, as mentioned, airports are areas of higher security so not so unusual for BiB to be involved.
The Rookie
Its not decriminalised parking, its criminal as it's subject to airport byelaws and never been decriminalised (as has to happen for those towns that chose to go decrim), that is why I am sceptical that HAL get anything from the fixed penalties.

That said it would be worth a read of the byelaws as i's quite possible the 'no return within 60 mins) isn't enforceable as its a relatively new introduction, but the no stopping where not permitted probably is enforceable.
localdriver
QUOTE (HeathrowAirporter @ Tue, 10 Mar 2015 - 11:01) *
Definiotely - because the road is owned and maintained by HAL, revenues go back to the Airport Operator who, allegedly, make more profit from parking and fixed penalties than they do from their airport and retail activities!

As it is a police fixed penalty, it is payable to HM Courts and Tribunals Service, not the airport authority. Although they may receive some income from private parking tickets issued in the car parks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.