Full Version: [NIP Wizard] NIP driving without due care
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
zippyone
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - February 2015
Date of the NIP: - 29 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 32 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - PADNELL INFANT SCHOOL, PADNELL AVENUE, WATERLOOVILLE
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I have no idea! The incident took place on a Sunday and I am 99% sure I did not drive my car that day and certainly would not have been near my kids school on a Sunday! Nobody else drove my car either - it was parked outside my house.

They say my car was driving without due care and also sent an application for name and address stating my car committed an offence of Road traffic collision - damage only. I am pretty sure I would remember had I been in an accident!

What should I do please? Thanks

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - No

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The first NIP to the Registered Keeper must arrive within 14 days unless there is a valid reason why that was not possible, for example a recent change of details.

This link will take you to the advice provided by the RAC's legal team.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:08:21 +0000
The Rookie
If you are sure the car in question was where you say it was, then write them a letter and state exactly that, that you were the keeper at the time, had the keys and the car was parked up and state where.

Any idea why it's taken so long for the NIP to arrive with you?

Ignore the wizards advice, the 14 day rule does not apply when an accident occurs as is alleged here.
zippyone
Thanks Rookie, that's what I was going to do, they must have the wrong reg number. I have no idea why the NIP is so late as I have owned this car for over 4 years and have not moved house recently!
zippyone
The only thing I can think of is in the school car park, a woman reversed into me, denting my car door with her rear mounted tyre (a jeep) and her reversing lights were not working. I cannot see how this would possibly be my fault? There was no damage to her car only to mine!

Anyway it was not the date in question, it was mid-Jan.
Logician
QUOTE (zippyone @ Thu, 5 Mar 2015 - 16:35) *
The only thing I can think of is in the school car park, a woman reversed into me, denting my car door with her rear mounted tyre (a jeep) and her reversing lights were not working. I cannot see how this would possibly be my fault? There was no damage to her car only to mine! Anyway it was not the date in question, it was mid-Jan.

Did you exchange details with her? There must be a chance that the incident is connected, she may have found later that there was damage and has constructed something to make it your fault.

zippyone
No we did not exchange details, I see her nearly everyday on school pick up, and she still has not fixed her reverse lights! She is an older lady, she must be the kids grandma doing pickups.

It was pouring down with rain at the time and I could not see any damage to my car so I said don't worry. It was later when I saw the dent in rear offside door but I couldn't be bothered pursuing it with insurance (my car is 15 years old and has a few dents and scrapes already so not worth it). I cannot conceive that she would now say it was my fault, it doesn't make sense. Any damage to her car would have occurred to the spare tyre but there was none!
The Rookie
So reply as suggested and wait and see what comes back.
zippyone
I will do that then Rookie, one more thing, just notice that there is no date or time on the actual NIP form only on the application for name of driver form? Does this mean they can add the correct date and time later?? Surely not?

southpaw82
If there's been an accident no NIP is required at all, so it doesn't really matter.
Spenny
I don't think anyone has mentioned that these requests rarely end up becoming prosecutions - they allow the police to identify the driver so that the other party can resolve it through insurance. If someone reports someone leaving the scene without exchanging details, this is the process the police will go through.

The problem with careless driving is that if someone is genuinely careless, they may not remember doing something that caused havoc all around, so it is impossible to advise accurately until the story from the other side emerges.
MikeJJ
I suspect what's happened is that she has noticed the dent in your door, realises that it was her and is worried that you may try and blame her for the insurance and is getting her retaliation in first (or she's trying it on with the advice of family & friends). If and when the details are provided you must decide whether to approach and reassure her (which could make matters worse) or let the insurance companies slug it out - but if you don't put in a claim it should come to nothing if there really was no damage.
crashdetective
I suspect a crystal ball is needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.