Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: section 172
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
colzey1
hi everyone new here been set over by another forum I use so thanks in advance for your responses so here goes

had a letter today a section 172 asking me to provide details for my car exceeding 30mph limit with time and date and road details.

however its states the car was seen by an officer and they would like details of the female driver now im a man with a shaved head and beard lol I remembering seeing an officer stood at the side of the rd but don't remember seeing a speed gun / static camera anywhere.
just want to know the best course of action ?

do I ask for the photo to help identify the driver (even though it was me driving) I would like to see why they think I look like a woman!! and then just admit it and hope for a speeding awareness course after receiving the pic

thanks again I should point out this is the first time I have ever had anything like this so flying blind

southpaw82
They're asking who was driving at the time. Tell them.
colzey1
it was me but they have stated it was a women
southpaw82
Which might call their observation skills into question but doesn't relieve you of your obligation to identify the driver.
Dwain
Southpaw, we all understand a 172 request is absolute. However when issued with a supplementary, or possibly concurrent question as appears here is the OP supposed to just ignore it, the supplementary/concurrent question that is.

Does one question carry more weight in law?

I don't mean this to enter the flame pit, however if they asked, "who was driving the car at 1500hrs on oak road, a female with black hair was seen by PC 2345," How are you supposed to answer if it was a bald bloke?

Dwain
mrh3369
Answer truthfully, nothing more is required.
peterguk
QUOTE (Dwain @ Tue, 24 Feb 2015 - 21:17) *
Southpaw, we all understand a 172 request is absolute. However when issued with a supplementary, or possibly concurrent question as appears here is the OP supposed to just ignore it, the supplementary/concurrent question that is.

I don't mean this to enter the flame pit, however if they asked, "who was driving the car at 1500hrs on oak road, a female with black hair was seen by PC 2345," How are you supposed to answer if it was a bald bloke?

Dwain

The S.172 request would still be legally valid.

Answer is the same as every other S.172 request - give the name of the driver, In your example, the name of bald bloke.
southpaw82

Dwain

I really don't see why this is so difficult. S. 172 gives a power to require the name of the driver. Even if the additional information was phrased as a question ("who was the female driver") that doesn't alter the fact that the driver has to be named.
StuartBu
QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 24 Feb 2015 - 21:31) *

Dwain

The S.172 request would still be legally valid.

Answer is the same as every other S.172 request - give the name of the driver, In your example, the name of bald bloke.

And enclose the address of a local Specsavers !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.