Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Letter From Police
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
AdamM2015
Hello,

Today I have received a letter from the local police regarding my car. It says that it intends to prosecute the driver for driving dangerously, without due care or attention, without reasonable consideration to others and for not stopping and reporting an accident.

The incident is said to have took place a couple of weeks ago.

At the time in question, my wife had the car and it was parked at work and was not on the road.

Therefore, I originally assumed that it was just a simple case of someone writing down a registration number wrong, as the letter doesn't even mention the make/model. However, the odd bit is that the location of the incident is quite local to here.

Does anyone know how this would have come about? Is it likely that someone would have cloned our number plate?

Logician
This sounds like a notice of intended prosecution, and the offences they include are everything that could possibly arise, in order to cover themselves. It may be no more than a very minor parking scrape or a complete mistake. Does it give any detail of the location? Can you wife be quite certain that the car was parked at the time? This might even relate to a scrape in her work car park.

Anyway, all you should do is nominate your wife on the form and return it. On no account should your wife complete the form addressed to you and you should not add anything to the form. She will then get a form addressed to her, and it may then be appropriate for her to nominate herself but attach a letter saying that at the time specified the car was not being driven but parked at her place of work. But first she needs to thing whether she might have been moving the car in the car park at the time.

AdamM2015
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 24 Feb 2015 - 14:02) *
This sounds like a notice of intended prosecution, and the offences they include are everything that could possibly arise, in order to cover themselves. It may be no more than a very minor parking scrape or a complete mistake. Does it give any detail of the location? Can you wife be quite certain that the car was parked at the time? This might even relate to a scrape in her work car park.

Anyway, all you should do is nominate your wife on the form and return it. On no account should your wife complete the form addressed to you and you should not add anything to the form. She will then get a form addressed to her, and it may then be appropriate for her to nominate herself but attach a letter saying that at the time specified the car was not being driven but parked at her place of work. But first she needs to thing whether she might have been moving the car in the car park at the time.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it says intended prosecution.

It gives the address as somewhere pretty local, but not a road in which we would ever drive down. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, we have never done so since we moved here! Therefore, this incident happened somewhere where we know the car certainly wasn't. The car was in my wife's work car park and no one else has access to it.

monkey boy 1
I would assume that if you can prove the car was parked up in a carpark at the stated time then you should be in the clear.
PASTMYBEST
Adam

These can get messy quite easily, follow the advise given on here by Logician and others that may help and it will be cleared up with the minimum of fuss
Logician
QUOTE (AdamM2015 @ Tue, 24 Feb 2015 - 14:09) *
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 24 Feb 2015 - 14:02) *
This sounds like a notice of intended prosecution, and the offences they include are everything that could possibly arise, in order to cover themselves. It may be no more than a very minor parking scrape or a complete mistake. Does it give any detail of the location? Can you wife be quite certain that the car was parked at the time? This might even relate to a scrape in her work car park. Anyway, all you should do is nominate your wife on the form and return it. On no account should your wife complete the form addressed to you and you should not add anything to the form. She will then get a form addressed to her, and it may then be appropriate for her to nominate herself but attach a letter saying that at the time specified the car was not being driven but parked at her place of work. But first she needs to thing whether she might have been moving the car in the car park at the time.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it says intended prosecution. It gives the address as somewhere pretty local, but not a road in which we would ever drive down. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, we have never done so since we moved here! Therefore, this incident happened somewhere where we know the car certainly wasn't. The car was in my wife's work car park and no one else has access to it.

Fine, then when your wife gets her own NIP she should write on it "see attached letter" and staple to it a letter stating that although she was using the car that day, at the time stated it was parked in her work car park, no one else had access to it and the car was therefore not on the road in question at that time, and in fact she did not drive on it at any time that day, or as far as she can recall, at any other. Keep a copy of everything and get a certificate of postage free from the PO.

It may be a somewhat similar number that was seen, as dealers have batches of numbers to apply to new cars, it is not surprising that similarly numbered cars are seen in the same area.

AdamM2015
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I shall fill out the form as you suggest and hopefully this will put an end to it.

The Rookie
In these cases it is usual for the police to take no further action once the insurance details are handed over to the complaining party, but it's sensible to expect an insurance claim. It may be worth contacting whichever insurer covered your wife to drive and explain the full situation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.