Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedcurb camera
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
Louieg
Hello I'm new here and would just like to know if speedcurb cameras can monitor front and rear facing at the same time as I was driving down the a1010 from Edmonton to Waltham cross and there is one but it is on the opposite side of the road to me facing forwards I didn't see a flash but I've heard that they wouldn't flash front facing /: there was also a bus lane on my side and a car flew past me, the speed limit is 30mph but I think I was doing about 34-36 mph but applied the brakes as I see the markings in the road the markings on my side are further forward if say you were going from Waltham cross to Edmonton and looked on the other side of the road, what could this be and would I see a flash if caught from on of these cameras? I have heard they are just rear facing cameras like normal gatsos is this true?

Thanks,

Lewis
Jlc
Yes, rear facing. Triggering by sensors buried in the road.
Louieg
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 17 Feb 2015 - 23:02) *
Yes, rear facing. Triggering by sensors buried in the road.

So can I stop worrying about a nip coming through the door? I have 4 points and can't afford another 3
Logician
Speedcurb cameras are rear-facing only, to monitor traffic in both directions there would need to be one either side of the road or two of them on a pole in the centre of road. They do flash.
Louieg
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 17 Feb 2015 - 23:14) *
Speedcurb cameras are rear-facing only, to monitor traffic in both directions there would need to be one either side of the road or two of them on a pole in the centre of road. They do flash.

Thank you, is the flash like a normal gatso camera and there isn't one on the side I was just markings on the road, what could this be?
Logician
They work like a Truvelo, they measure your speed by strips buried in the road, if you are over the limit they are set for, they calculate at what time you will get to a set of lines painted on the road doing that speed, and take a photo at that time. If the photo shows your car wheels on those lines, that acts as a second check on your speed.
The Rookie
QUOTE (Louieg @ Tue, 17 Feb 2015 - 23:20) *
what could this be?

A deterrent. many road users don't know how the cameras work (you didn't) and so cheap white lines are often used to increase the deterrent effect, I've seen it in plenty of places.
Jlc
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 18 Feb 2015 - 03:27) *
QUOTE (Louieg @ Tue, 17 Feb 2015 - 23:20) *
what could this be?

A deterrent. many road users don't know how the cameras work (you didn't) and so cheap white lines are often used to increase the deterrent effect, I've seen it in plenty of places.

Or the camera can be 'swung' from one direction to another.
The Rookie
Not from what his description says....
Jlc
In general, not necessarily in this case.

I can only see a Gatso with a quick GSV...

Louieg
I went back to the place and can't see a camera on the side I went past just a fixed one on the other side and the markings are before the camera so if it was to catch me it would be front facing
Jlc
QUOTE (Louieg @ Wed, 18 Feb 2015 - 10:07) *
I went back to the place and can't see a camera on the side I went past just a fixed one on the other side and the markings are before the camera so if it was to catch me it would be front facing

Can you confirm the exact location? some Truvelo's work this way.
Marmalade
Some of the replies above contain correct information but the advisors are sadly lacking I their knowledge of Redspeed SpeedCurb cameras.

The SpeedCurb is a rear-facing enforcement system and works by measuring the speed of vehicles as they pass over road sensors. They have a camera position that photographs the rear of the vehicle as it travels away from the camera. The latest version of the cameras have more than one head so can be arranged to use one system with more than one camera head with those heads and road sensors arranged to measure the speed of traffic in two directions simultaneously.

I have not checked the system where you are concerned about but multi-head systems are being deployed to monitor bi-directional traffic.

So now you know.

Jlc
Yes, multi-head can monitor both directions but only if the heads are installed in both directions - always rear capture.
Louieg
The location is Hertford road a1010 just past Waltham cross the camera has one head and as I was coming towards it on the other side of the road it was facing the front of the car on the opposite side of the road but the road markings are on both sides my side was just before the other side why would these markings be here as the camera couldn't take a picture of my car from the rear. I checked google maps and on there it seems the use to be a normal gatso there not a speedcurb one
Jlc
GSV is Nov 2014 so must have changed quite recently then...
Louieg
QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 18 Feb 2015 - 11:33) *

Do you think I'll be fine?
peterguk
QUOTE (Louieg @ Wed, 18 Feb 2015 - 17:40) *

The only answer is you'll have to wait 14 days.
Jlc
QUOTE (Louieg @ Wed, 18 Feb 2015 - 17:40) *

Probably but my crystal ball is on the blink wink.gif
TicToc
I see people speeding past speedcurb cameras all the time and don't see no flashes ( on the other side of the road obviously)
You'll be fine no need to worry.
The Rookie
If you don't see no flashes, how many flashes do you see......or did you mean you don't see ANY flashes?

(quick English/Maths lesson on double negatives!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.