Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking charge notice - NOW GIVEN TO DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
bobby123
Hi.

I read a few threads on this website and others when I got a parking charge notice a couple of weeks ago from CUP enforcement. The general consensus was to ignore it and that it will go away. Unfortunately for me, it hasn't. Instead two days ago I got a letter from DRP (debt recovery plus) (see image) that I have to pay £120 by 03/02/2015 or they will "recommend to the creditors solicitor that court action should be taken to recover what you owe."

I am really really worried about this as I do not have that kind of money to go for spare, and do not think it is justified to pay such an absurd amount. I was sitting in the car for heaven's sake when they came and stuck this notice on my window. I was just waiting for to pick up my missus from work.

Can somebody please help me on how to proceed from here? What do i do if this goes to court? Do I need a solicitor? Should I borrow some money and pay it? What do I do?

If you need any extra information, please let me know and I will provide it for you as soon as possible.

I would like to thank each and every person that replies, I really really appreciate the work you do here!

P.s. I have removed all of the personal details from this image (most things have been deleted completely, some have been deleted partially.)

ostell
Ignore was the old advice until POFA arrived in 2012. You need to have appealed it when the Notice to Keeper arrived.

As well as removing name etc blank out the bar code and the square above it as they will no doubt have your details encoded in them.

Write back to DR+ denying that you owe the client anything and stop contacting you.

Was the original PCN stuck to the windscreen or through the post? How many other letters have you received?
Gan
DR+, as you've probably discovered is very well known here
They sometimes send letters under trading names such as Zenith Collections or Parking Collection Services to make it look like you're dealing with somebody new

All they can ever do is write letters and there is only ever one response

Dear Sir

Ref ****

I deny any debt to CUP Enforcement
Refer the matter back to your client

For the avoidance of doubt, I will not under any circumstances make any payment to your company

Don't contact me again

I will not reply

Yours Faithfully

The DR+ letter dates the parking charge notice as October not "a couple of weeks ago"
Do you mean you received a Notice to Keeper letter ? That should have arrived by early December

CUP is owned by John Agdobar whose clamping company used to be familiar here
A lot of clampers turned to aggressive ticketing when their practice was banned

Court action is extremely unlikely
You don't need a solicitor for Small Claims Court. In fact the system is intended to work without them
Plenty of us have experience at writing defences
emanresu
Company Name: Close Unit Protection Services Ltd (CUP)
Appeals System: BPA
Company House Number: 08247409.
Comments: Paper tickets on car on the day.
2014 Keeper Request: Unknown but few
2014 Court Cases (Est): None.
Recommendation: Ignore but keep paperwork

They do not do claims nor court.

Either ignore or write back and say to mitigate any further loss send a POPLA code so their claims can be examined by an independent adjudicator. Failure to provide a means of ADR will be noted.
bobby123
QUOTE (ostell @ Fri, 30 Jan 2015 - 23:04) *
Ignore was the old advice until POFA arrived in 2012. You need to have appealed it when the Notice to Keeper arrived.

As well as removing name etc blank out the bar code and the square above it as they will no doubt have your details encoded in them.

Write back to DR+ denying that you owe the client anything and stop contacting you.

Was the original PCN stuck to the windscreen or through the post? How many other letters have you received?

Hi I have received one letter saying that they got my details from the DVLA and to confirm who the driver was (I got this through the post) but they also stuck something on my windscreen. I did not reply to the letter through the post or anything. The letter from the post was the only one I got until the letter from the DR+.

Should I email DR+ or write a letter?

Regards

QUOTE (Gan @ Fri, 30 Jan 2015 - 23:14) *
DR+, as you've probably discovered is very well known here
They sometimes send letters under trading names such as Zenith Collections or Parking Collection Services to make it look like you're dealing with somebody new

All they can ever do is write letters and there is only ever one response

Dear Sir

Ref ****

I deny any debt to CUP Enforcement
Refer the matter back to your client

For the avoidance of doubt, I will not under any circumstances make any payment to your company

Don't contact me again

I will not reply

Yours Faithfully

The DR+ letter dates the parking charge notice as October not "a couple of weeks ago"
Do you mean you received a Notice to Keeper letter ? That should have arrived by early December

CUP is owned by John Agdobar whose clamping company used to be familiar here
A lot of clampers turned to aggressive ticketing when their practice was banned

Court action is extremely unlikely
You don't need a solicitor for Small Claims Court. In fact the system is intended to work without them
Plenty of us have experience at writing defences

Okay thank you for reassuring me! Should I include my name at the end after the yours faithfully? And yes I got it on the 10th of October, but my wife has misplaced the first letter we got (that said please identify the driver, we got your name from DVLA) so I didn't know the exact date.

Also should I send an email or a letter?

QUOTE (emanresu @ Sat, 31 Jan 2015 - 05:24) *
Company Name: Close Unit Protection Services Ltd (CUP)
Appeals System: BPA
Company House Number: 08247409.
Comments: Paper tickets on car on the day.
2014 Keeper Request: Unknown but few
2014 Court Cases (Est): None.
Recommendation: Ignore but keep paperwork

They do not do claims nor court.

Either ignore or write back and say to mitigate any further loss send a POPLA code so their claims can be examined by an independent adjudicator. Failure to provide a means of ADR will be noted.

Phewwww I am so relieved! thank you for your advice.
bobby123
Hi guys I have just received this email.

Thank you for your email regarding the above Parking Charge Notice (PCN).

As per the British Parking Association’s (BPA) Code of Practice, Point 22.7, the time to challenge the charge has now expired and therefore access to the Independent Appeals Service (if applicable) is no longer available.

However, in order to resolve this matter, I will offer the following comments as to why this PCN was correctly issued and is still payable.

My findings

The site in question is subject to terms and conditions, which are stated on signs throughout the area. As these terms were breached on the date in question, a PCN was correctly and legitimately issued.

The terms were breached because the vehicle was parked in an unauthorised area where parking is not permitted.

What you need to do now

Please ensure that £120.00 is paid by 23rd February 2015. Payment can be made online or by phone. Go to www.debtrecoveryplus.co.uk/pay or phone 0844 561 0965. You can find full details of how to pay on the reverse of the letter(s) sent.

What will happen if you do not pay what you owe

If the amount is not paid by the date shown above, we will recommend to our client that court action be taken by them to recover the outstanding balance.

If you do not intend to pay by the deadline, I draw your attention to the following important court ‘test’ case where judgment was entered for a parking company when the charge was disputed on multiple grounds. The senior judge found completely in the parking company’s favour: ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis & Wardley [2014].

A transcript of the case can be found at www.debtrecoveryplus.co.uk/debtor/judge.php.

What if you do not agree

Although any correspondence that does not provide further evidence will be noted and retained, I cannot guarantee that we will reply to it.

Kind Regards

Louise Pattinson

Collections Manager

Debt Recovery Plus Ltd

P.O. Box 411

Dukinfield

SK14 9DD

www.debtrecoveryplus.co.uk

T: 0844 561 0965

F: 0161 339 5722

Any idea's as to what I should do?
nosferatu1001
So they ignored your debt denied letter we presume you sent?

Immediate complaint to the dvla.

Odd that a debt collector is adjudicating appeals. Very odd.
cabbyman
If you sent the E mail as suggested by Gan, they have obviously totally ignored it and are continuing to harass you. Certainly, DRP have missed their chance to bring this to an end sensibly. Ignore them from now on.
Jlc
"My findings"...

Ah, a template to send out without reading the content. Oh, the irony.
emanresu
Ignore them from now on.

+1

and call your local Citizens Advice and get them to advise how you can complain to Trading Standards about them.

Here is a link on finding your local office. Bottom of page.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/get...mp;image=Search
bobby123
QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Mon, 9 Feb 2015 - 16:37) *

Hi, yes I sent the email. I will ignore them from now on and report them.

Thank you for all of your help!

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Mon, 9 Feb 2015 - 16:39) *
If you sent the E mail as suggested by Gan, they have obviously totally ignored it and are continuing to harass you. Certainly, DRP have missed their chance to bring this to an end sensibly. Ignore them from now on.

Will do. Thank you!

QUOTE (emanresu @ Tue, 10 Feb 2015 - 06:38) *
Ignore them from now on.

+1

and call your local Citizens Advice and get them to advise how you can complain to Trading Standards about them.

Here is a link on finding your local office. Bottom of page.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/get...mp;image=Search

Cheers will give them a call now.
bobby123
Thank you for everybody's help, after giving my details to another debt collection agency, which then hassled me further, i have stopped receiving letters for the past 3 months. THANK YOU ALL
freddy1
QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Mon, 9 Feb 2015 - 17:37) *

the sister company (PCS) actually advises people to appeal via them http://www.parkingcsl.co.uk/appeals/form.php , and guess what? the original company never actually see the appeal , and the denial comes from pcs/dr+

not odd , just there shady tactics

PS the BPA stance : yes a parking Co can use an outside company to handle appeals , the same as a "customer" can use a paid for claims service , or help from the internet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.