Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Traffic Stop from across the pond
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
chris_NE
Hello chaps,

I'm a British expat resident in New England. Thought I would share with you my traffic stop this morning. Apparently according to the paramilitary state troopers here, idling at 50mph in the third lane is absolutely fine.

Have a watch and listen for yourselves. You don't really appreciate how good British traffic cops are, until you experience the ignorance on display out here. This is a state where undertaking is perfectly legal, where changing lanes when appropriate is considered 'dangerous driving'. You are expected and taught to essentially keep to a lane. Least there's no speed cameras here I guess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w07fsg29p7ae399/2...2_I-95.mp4?dl=0
StuartBu
At least you didn't get shot... what did you get?
chris_NE
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 22 Jan 2015 - 21:23) *
At least you didn't get shot... what did you get?

Nothing. The cop just wanted to tell me off. I wish I had pointed out that he himself was breaking the law by admitting to going 60 in a 55. But, cops are generally exempt from traffic laws here it seems. It's a disgrace.
Unzippy
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 22 Jan 2015 - 20:23) *
At least you didn't get shot...

+1
xpatbritinusa
Go USA hahaha

This motorcyclist got charged with felony wiretapping for videoing his traffic stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Graber

typefish
If anything it's the police officer who should be told off/citated for dangerous driving/DWDCA for uh, changing lanes when not allowed to!

(look at him, changing over on the solid lines)
xpatbritinusa
Well here in NJ the state troopers on the Interstates just drive however they want (i.e drive it like you stole it) and are seemingly unaccountable. So speeding, cutting across all lanes, cutting people up at off ramps, not using lights etc, are all par for the course.
Glitch
Just looking at it with a State trooper lens (based on what I could just about hear him saying) is that you did change lanes a lot in a short space of time.

The State Trooper had a view on how people should drive on his watch. I assume the same expectations/standards are consistently applied. I thought he made his point firmly and politely.

You did undertake when it suited you, so not consistent with UK driving.

Whatever the UK expectations are you need to drive to US expectations - whether that is worse that UK standards or not.
Imagine an Indian national trying to justify his driving because that's how he drives in Mumbai?

A UK traffic cop will give you a lecture if you drive US style and he would soon close down a discussion with an American trying to claim he was taught to lane hog and undertake.

I think it's proven that everyone chugging along at 55mph, staying in lane enables a greater throughput of traffic than a 45-70mph free for all.
albert2008
QUOTE (Glitch @ Fri, 23 Jan 2015 - 09:18) *
Imagine an Indian national trying to justify his driving because that's how he drives in Mumbai?

Bradford laugh.gif
chris_NE
QUOTE (typefish @ Fri, 23 Jan 2015 - 01:49) *
If anything it's the police officer who should be told off/citated for dangerous driving/DWDCA for uh, changing lanes when not allowed to!

(look at him, changing over on the solid lines)

That concept is lost on them here. As another US resident comments, officers here not only don't understand good driving practices (why should they? It's simply not taught, such is the ignorance of America) they don't remotely set the example. My approach is if the state police aren't going to set the example, why should any of us simply not follow their example? When the police here reach an IQ higher than 50, maybe they might work that out.

QUOTE (xpatbritinusa @ Fri, 23 Jan 2015 - 01:46) *
Go USA hahaha

This motorcyclist got charged with felony wiretapping for videoing his traffic stop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Graber

The Supreme Court has since ruled on similar subject, as police forces were attempting to use draconian wire tap laws to restrict being filmed in public. You'll notice that the state trooper doesn't object to my recording him. I would have absolutely refused to stop the recording also if asked.

QUOTE (Glitch @ Fri, 23 Jan 2015 - 10:18) *
Just looking at it with a State trooper lens (based on what I could just about hear him saying) is that you did change lanes a lot in a short space of time.

The State Trooper had a view on how people should drive on his watch. I assume the same expectations/standards are consistently applied. I thought he made his point firmly and politely.

You did undertake when it suited you, so not consistent with UK driving.

You have to undertake unfortunately. People lane hog with impunity here. If one wasn't allowed to undertake, we would never make any progress. They even hog the outside lane (the "left" lane to simple America).
Churchmouse
All this vitriol, and you didn't even get a ticket? Here, you almost certainly would have.

--Churchmouse
chris_NE
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Sat, 24 Jan 2015 - 11:32) *
All this vitriol, and you didn't even get a ticket? Here, you almost certainly would have.

--Churchmouse

No, I wouldn't have. The speed limit on British motorways is 70mph unless otherwise marked. I didn't go above 70mph, so the speeding ticket is out the window.
Mortimer
QUOTE (chris_NE @ Sat, 24 Jan 2015 - 19:58) *

--Churchmouse

No, I wouldn't have. The speed limit on British motorways is 70mph unless otherwise marked. I didn't go above 70mph, so the speeding ticket is out the window.

I think Churchmouse was referring to the infamous 'Attitude Test'.
chris_NE
QUOTE (Mortimer @ Sat, 24 Jan 2015 - 22:51) *

--Churchmouse

Oh. Right. Well, in my experience in the UK, there is both very little discretion available to British traffic officers combined with the fact that they have already made up their mind whether to issue a ticket or not. My take on this is, if the officer wants to issue the ticket - fine - I can afford to contest it.
Mortimer
QUOTE (chris_NE @ Sat, 24 Jan 2015 - 21:56) *
QUOTE (Mortimer @ Sat, 24 Jan 2015 - 22:51) *

--Churchmouse

Oh. Right. Well, in my experience in the UK, there is both very little discretion available to British traffic officers combined with the fact that they have already made up their mind whether to issue a ticket or not. My take on this is, if the officer wants to issue the ticket - fine - I can afford to contest it.

I don't agree, my personal experience and anecdotal stories from this forum and others would suggest otherwise. I was stopped for speeding many years ago along with the car behind me. I was contrite and apologetic to the Police officer and was let on my way, unlike the other chap who decided to argue the toss with him. Plenty of stories from posters here who have tried to be 'clever' with the officer and paid a price.
4x4x4
The cop said you went from the on ramp to the third lane and the video shows that's exactly what you did it so how can you deny it, whether you were indicating or not is impossible to tell.

Apart from anything you failed the attitude test from the moment you opened your mouth and so IMO you were lucky to get off with a warning because you come across as a total dick.

Is undertaking legal over there, I guess it must be ?
DancingDad
Gotta say that I've always found driving in USA fairly relaxing, at least on freeways.

And my experiences with USA cops good on the couple of occasions when they decided they had to talk to me.
I'd also say that apart from a couple of occasions when the cops were dead set on finding something to do me for (but didn't) British cops have been generally polite and courteous.

Mind you, I've always avoided "playing tag" with police cars, working on the principle that is you upset them, the BiB can usually find something to upset you with.
And always, always, greeted a copper with "Good Morning (Evening) Officer, How can I help you?" Not "Why did you stop me?"
Never made a point of telling coppers they are wrong either or tried to justify anything I've done/not done on someone else doing it.

Training courses I've been on called it confrontation management, my parents called it good manners.
Seems to have worked for me

One thing a cop I knew told me years ago was that they dislike talking to anyone through an almost closed window so I also make the point of getting out of the car and going to meet the cop who's pulled me over.
Again, doesn't seem to have done any harm or worried them at all.
Glitch
Re DD's last point,

One thing a cop I knew told me years ago was that they dislike talking to anyone through an almost closed window so I also make the point of getting out of the car and going to meet the cop who's pulled me over.

I agree.

Haven't been stopped for many, many years but as a bit of of boy racer in younger years I started to question my driving if I hadn't been stopped at least once a week. Always stepped out of the car to have a polite chat with BiB. Never got a ticket.
baggins1234
QUOTE (4x4x4 @ Sat, 31 Jan 2015 - 10:11) *
The cop said you went from the on ramp to the third lane and the video shows that's exactly what you did it so how can you deny it, whether you were indicating or not is impossible to tell.

Apart from anything you failed the attitude test from the moment you opened your mouth and so IMO you were lucky to get off with a warning because you come across as a total dick.

Agreed totally and utterly
southpaw82
QUOTE (Glitch @ Sat, 31 Jan 2015 - 14:09) *
Re DD's last point,

I agree.

Haven't been stopped for many, many years but as a bit of of boy racer in younger years I started to question my driving if I hadn't been stopped at least once a week. Always stepped out of the car to have a polite chat with BiB. Never got a ticket.

Don't do that in the states. You're likely to be staring down the wrong end of a Glock.
The Rookie
Or a piece of lead with a full metal jacket that has already exited it's pointy end?

As for Mumbai, well trust me driving in Bradford is nothing like Mumbai, also each city in India has it's own unique interpretation of the rules (and which are rules rather than more like guidance - thank you Captain Barbosa) if you drive in Mumbai in a way that is common in Pune (just 100km away) you'd be in an accident very quickly. Pune being one of the worst cities in India for driving standards....noting that the annual death toll on the roads has risen nearly 40% there in the last 7 years to an estimated 146,000 a year across the country.

Driving in the states is fairly relaxing except for the fact they are incapable of leaving a sensible gap which is why there is never one freeway accident as soon there will be more!
DancingDad
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 31 Jan 2015 - 15:33) *
As for Mumbai, well trust me driving in Bradford is nothing like Mumbai, also each city in India has it's own unique interpretation of the rules (and which are rules rather than more like guidance - thank you Captain Barbosa) if you drive in Mumbai in a way that is common in Pune (just 100km away) you'd be in an accident very quickly. Pune being one of the worst cities in India for driving standards....noting that the annual death toll on the roads has risen nearly 40% there in the last 7 years to an estimated 146,000 a year across the country.

Agreed, India is the one country in the world that I've been to and never considered driving.
About the only rule of the road I worked out was if it's bigger then you, give way. Cos they aren't going to.
Hertz used to charge 100 rupees a day (couple of quid) for a driver to go with their rental cars.
Meant I could close my eyes and whimper without adding to the risk.
southpaw82
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 31 Jan 2015 - 15:33) *
Or a piece of lead with a full metal jacket that has already exited it's pointy end?

Unlikely, as FMJ is a military round (as required by the Geneva Convention) and would pass through and go God knows where. More likely a jacketed hollow point that will expand on impact, dissipate its energy into the target and hopefully not go through (very far). But yes, it does increase your chances of getting shot if you exit the vehicle.
The Rookie
I've driven in India, but only after I'd been going there often enough to get a handle on the driving, I ride cycles over there a lot as well, that may sound crazy but in cities the traffic is so slow it's no different to being on a motorbike, I frequently pass scooters and motorbikes and rickshaws while cycling.
xpatbritinusa
It might be time to put this hilarious 1 1/2 min video on for those that haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4QbwkECZAg

I've managed not to get pulled over yet, but if I do i think i'll stay very still and do what I am told very slowly.
The Rookie
When your stopped leave your hands in plain site on top of the wheel, move them slowly and never reach inside anything without telling the officer what you are doing first.
southpaw82
I think a lot of it depends on where you are. In NYC the NYPD are likely to be very twitchy about anything (and do a felony stop at the drop of a hat). A buddy of mine in Georgia stopped a guy who said "officer, I just want you to know I have a gun under my coat on the passenger seat". Rather than screwing the muzzle of his .40 into the guy's ear my buddy asks him what kind. "An Uzi..." "Wow! Can I have a look?".

Ten minutes of gun chat later the guy was on his way with a friendly warning and my buddy was pleased because he'd got to handle an Uzi.
minotaur
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 1 Feb 2015 - 17:29) *
I think a lot of it depends on where you are. In NYC the NYPD are likely to be very twitchy about anything (and do a felony stop at the drop of a hat). A buddy of mine in Georgia stopped a guy who said "officer, I just want you to know I have a gun under my coat on the passenger seat". Rather than screwing the muzzle of his .40 into the guy's ear my buddy asks him what kind. "An Uzi..." "Wow! Can I have a look?".

Ten minutes of gun chat later the guy was on his way with a friendly warning and my buddy was pleased because he'd got to handle an Uzi.

Isn't it ludicrous that that was a legal situation?
DancingDad
QUOTE (minotaur @ Mon, 2 Feb 2015 - 10:06) *

I had almost exactly the same many years ago in the UK when handgun ownership was easier then now. At the time I was regularly shooting and owned a small collection of pistols.
This night I've just finished from a session at our gun club, had the pistol I'd been using in a belt holster and a leather bomber jacket that almost concealed it. No worries, I was going straight home.
That was until I ran into a police spot check, pulling cars over for a quick word and check.
For obvious reasons I didn't get out of the car but went through the normal (with window wide open) Evening Sir, this your car etc while a second cop looked at tax disc and tyres....
Then he asked me to open the boot!
Uhm, before I get out, can I tell you I'm carrying a firearm? Legal with license but I don't want to panic you.
I'll give praise where due and apart from a double take, the constable wasn't overly fazed. But it did end up with him holding a Colt 1911 A1 (.45 semi auto pistol) in one hand with my certificate in the other rather plaintively calling over "Sarge, do you know anything about firearms?"
Next ten minutes was me explaining to about 6 coppers where the serial numbers where, where these were shown on the certificate, where I was shooting, how they could come down and have a go....
All friendly, curiosity on their part rather then any thought of wrongdoing. I was sent on my way after a pleasant interlude that made many laugh at the gun club and probably down the local nick.
ManxRed
I once hired a car in Florida, and was driving down a busy two lane interstate, both lanes pretty much full with cars all doing 60, so quite happy to plod along with everyone else.

I was eventually overtaken by a pick up truck (very probably containing two Good Ol' Boys) doing about 80 at an angle of 30 degrees or so along the steep grass bank to the right of the interstate. They pulled back in about ten cars ahead of me.
DancingDad
QUOTE (ManxRed @ Mon, 2 Feb 2015 - 12:31) *
I once hired a car in Florida, and was driving down a busy two lane interstate, both lanes pretty much full with cars all doing 60, so quite happy to plod along with everyone else.

I was eventually overtaken by a pick up truck (very probably containing two Good Ol' Boys) doing about 80 at an angle of 30 degrees or so along the steep grass bank to the right of the interstate. They pulled back in about ten cars ahead of me.

It's times like that when you would actually applaud a cop pulling them over
southpaw82

The Uzi? In my personal opinion, no, but then I live somewhere where gun ownership is lawful (but not an Uzi).
Churchmouse
I live someplace where gun ownership is not lawful, but I used to live someplace where it was quite normal. I respect the choices made by the people in both places, because I respect people even if I disagree with them.

--Churchmouse
The Rookie

Trouble is with no context we don't know what level of Cop he was, when I was in 'Joysey' we were stopped (I wasn't driving) for making an illegal left turn, my mate just mentioned how his Dad was pally with the Sheriff (with some context added in) and that was that, on our way with a very minor ticking off.
southpaw82
What level of cop who was? My pal in question is a deputy sheriff.

Your example (particularly being in the north east) has little to do with the "level" of cop or "pulling rank" and more to do with professional courtesy, which is prevalent in that part of the U.S., and even extends to family members.
KH_
I've been trying to find a clip on youtube where a UK cop stops a car with an American driver.

When the car stops the guy puts his hands out of the window and makes sure 4 or 5 times the officer knows he's unarmed.
The copper wasn't quite sure what to make of it all and stayed back from the car.

Driver asked if it was ok to exit the vehicle, got out when the copper said yes, arms held high and back to the officer.

The copper was completely confused by the behaviour and when it was all explained the American was dumbfounded that UK police don't have guns.

Wish I could find it, it was much funnier than I made it sound (although I had had a glass of wine or three)
oldstoat
Unlikely, as FMJ is a military round (as required by the Geneva Convention) and would pass through and go God knows where. More likely a jacketed hollow point that will expand on impact, dissipate its energy into the target and hopefully not go through (very far). But yes, it does increase your chances of getting shot if you exit the vehicle.

@ Southpaw

Strange how dum dum (which from your description is what hollow point bullets are ) are allowed by civilians yet FMJ are not and vica versa for the military
southpaw82
QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 2 Feb 2015 - 20:22) *

@ Southpaw

Strange how dum dum (which from your description is what hollow point bullets are ) are allowed by civilians yet FMJ are not and vica versa for the military

Indeed, yet the anomaly comes about because the Geneva Convention only applies to armed conflict, so not law enforcement. TBH I'd rather the police used JHP, less risk of offing an innocent down range.
Fredd
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 2 Feb 2015 - 21:40) *

@ Southpaw

Indeed, yet the anomaly comes about because the Geneva Convention only applies to armed conflict, so not law enforcement. TBH I'd rather the police used JHP, less risk of offing an innocent down range.

I believe the prohibition against their use in warfare came about in the Hague Convention, which was even earlier than the Geneva Conventions. It's all a bit moot anyway for rifle ammunition, as modern small calibre jacketed bullets will tumble quite happily inside their target and cause pretty much the same damage as an expanding round.

There's a further irony in that in the UK by law you must use expanding (soft- or hollow-point) ammunition to shoot deer, on humanitarian grounds. I think you can also use expanding bullets for shooting other animals too.
southpaw82
You're probably right about The Hague Convention. Expanding rounds are prohibited though - s. 5(1A)(f) of the Firearms Act 1968, so they'd require permission from the SoS. So not sure if that means deer hunters have to get permission or if you don't have to use expanding rounds.
Fredd
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Tue, 3 Feb 2015 - 00:05) *
Expanding rounds are prohibited though - s. 5(1A)(f) of the Firearms Act 1968, so they'd require permission from the SoS. So not sure if that means deer hunters have to get permission or if you don't have to use expanding rounds.

An exemption can be added to firearms certificates for specific purposes, such as deer culling. Page 15 of this Home Office guide summarises the convoluted arrangements. Quite a lot of trouble for everyone to go to to work around a fairly pointless law.
southpaw82
Indeed. Thankfully we've avoided that here!
The Rookie

@ Southpaw

Didn't help that poor women in the Australian cafe siege (noting that was a ricochet from brickwork).
Fredd
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 3 Feb 2015 - 09:00) *

less risk of offing an innocent down range.

Didn't help that poor women in the Australian cafe siege (noting that was a ricochet from brickwork).

(My emphasis). Odds are that a non-jacketed bullet will lose more energy on hitting a wall, but nobody claims it's possible to make a round that either won't ricochet or will be non-lethal if it does. If you're looking for a lethal weapon that will only kill the bad guy you're targeting and won't ricochet then perhaps you need something like this:

southpaw82
Indeed, you seem to be confusing "less" with "none".
The Rookie
Sorry, not confused at all, just stating as a fact that it didn't help her.
southpaw82
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 3 Feb 2015 - 10:25) *
Sorry, not confused at all, just stating as a fact that it didn't help her.

Ah, not confused, just of dubious relevance. I understand.
Hellfire8
I always found US officers absolutely fantastic, I was over in the NW (Washington) heading down PCH and got pulled by a Sheriff officer for speeding, Chatting to him (I had rented a Mustang) and he was nice, I was clocked doing 40MPH over the limit on a Friday night. He asked when I was heading back home and as I flew out on the Sunday he said it's kind of pointless to give you a ticket.

He mentioned there were state troopers further down my route and followed me till I had passed them, gave me a little flash of the blues and spun his car,

All in all a cracking copper and a nice guy to chat too.

I just find it confusing they have so many departments, ie Police Department covers cities, Sheriff cover more rural area, State troopers cover the interstates and cross state etc... and then you also get Native American police on tribal land :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.