Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 85 in a 60 (Scotland)
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
theojones
Rural Road in Scotland (single carriageway, two lane)
Driving a hire car
Falcon laser device
Cautioned and Charged at roadside, court papers have now arrived.

I had driven all the way from London without a hitch - and annoyingly, had basically stuck to the limit most of the way up - after clocking around 400 miles, I overtook a car onto a downhill stretch, didn't bring my speed back down, and there the helpful officers were. in pitch darkness (no lights for miles out there). I almost shat myself when they flipped on the lights and waved me down.

More roadside nonsense than usual because it was a hire car, but once they had sorted things out and checked my details, off I went. Apparently, because it's "over 85" they couldn't offer me an FP, and off to court we go.

To be honest, I'm holding my hands up. I went too fast. The main thing I'm trying to do is make sure that some Sheriff doesn't translate their bad day into me getting a ban or something severe. I *expect* that at the very threshold of a fixed penalty, that 3 points and £100 is more likely than something worse, but the fact that this goes all the way to a ban and £1000 has me frankly crapping myself. Living out in the boonies, no drive means no work, end of. I'm an IT contractor, so self employed-ish (the sole employee of my own Ltd company), so not sure how I could get a reference or supporting statement.

My plan, by way of mitigation is;

1) Plead guilty, but come to court suited and booted to ask for leniency.
2) Be genuinely remorseful. no worries there; I have spent the intervening month carking it about the possible impact on my work.
3) highlight that it was a hire car, with a fair bit more oomph than my own wee buggy (big VW Passat vs a Hyundai i30)
4) Point out that this was out of character, and that I am actually a 'steady as he goes' driver (I drive a stop/go diesel for goodness sake)

One question this will be the 3rd time I have been tagged for speeding - once was a 47 in temporary roadworks (reduced from 70 to 40) way back in 2001, the other was in 2011, 82 on the Motorway - it's still written on my licence, but I believe is now clear? Should I mention having a clean licence, or would the written on stuff from 2011 still have some negative impact?

Thoughts? suggestions? any bear traps waiting for me to step on? or am I getting worked up over a minor thing?

Jlc
Points count for totting for 3 years. The other points are 'spent' - shouldn't be of concern.

Unlucky as you note as 1mph less would have seen a fixed penalty. Likely outcome is 4 points and an income related fine around 1 week's earnings. (Scotland works differently to England)
The Rookie
You appear to have no defence, once you get the court citation you'll be able to plead by post.

A ban is not at all likely, plead by post and they won't ban you without asking you to attend, so they will either give you a points and fine or require you to attend giving you a second chance (with probably a different Sheriff) to avoid a ban.

The 2011 offence doesn't count for totting but has to stay on your licence for four years, they may or may not be taken into account when setting the sentence.
theojones
QUOTE (Jlc @ Sat, 3 Jan 2015 - 14:23) *
Points count for totting for 3 years. The other points are 'spent' - shouldn't be of concern.

Ahh, that's good then - the motorway one was August 2011, and this current one was in Dec 2014, so over 3 years.

This'll be the first time that having a quiet six months, and therefore being paid bugger all is actually a good thing. silver linings and all that... rolleyes.gif

Thanks for that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.