Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP received driving without due care, failing to stop, failing to report
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
millwallgaz
A couple of weeks ago during rush hour I had a very slight collision with another car on a roundabout. We were heading off on different exits and from what I could make out the other driver carried on without stopping. I was within half a mile of work so checked my car on parking and there was no damage whatsoever to my car. Given that the other driver didn't seem to be stopping I haven't thought about it since. I assumed that we had scuffed tyres or something.

My fleet department have received a NIP from the county camera and enforcement team stating they are contemplating a prosecution for undue care and attention, failing to stop, failing to report an accident.

They will have my details within the next few days.

I assume they have seen the incident on camera or the other party has been in contact with them.

What is likely to happen? What should I do now? Am I looking at a ban (I have 3 points for speeding currently). Obviously very worried as I would lose my job if I lost my licence.
AFCNEAL
Your fleet people will (should) return the document and name the keeper (you) - if they give you the document, give it back to them!

The local 'camera team' may propose action be taken but that's up to the Police/CPS. You'll then get a NIP of your own to name the driver which you need to return.

Careless rarely attracts more than 4-6 points so the chance of a licence loss is pretty much zero. Provided both parties are insured, the Police/CPS do not always progress matters anyway........
millwallgaz
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Wed, 10 Dec 2014 - 13:29) *
Careless rarely attracts more than 4-6 points so the chance of a licence loss is pretty much zero. Provided both parties are insured, the Police/CPS do not always progress matters anyway........

If they went so far as charging me (and finding me guilty) with all three charges do they penalise me for each offence? I thought I read somewhere that when it comes to the points penalty they only apply the points for the most serious offence.
Jlc
Not all of those offences carry points. But for offences committed 'at the same time' the one with the highest amount of points will usually be awarded - however, fines will accumulate.

I think you're looking a bit far ahead at the moment.
millwallgaz
Thanks for the advice so far...

So when they list the three offences on the NIP they are a long way from being determined to pursue charges against all three? Its just a catch all within 14 days to reserve their right to charge?

The Rookie
They need to allege them at this stage to justify the request for drivers details, they don't need to tell you in order to prosecute as an accident occurred, but either is still a long way from deciding to prosecute.
Jlc
Not all offences require the 14 day NIP. (Indeed, even that limit doesn't apply when an accident is involved)
AFCNEAL
Curiosity only, but how was there a coming together if you '..were heading off on different exits'??
millwallgaz
Other driver was in outside lane but didn't turn left at first exit. I was in centre lane and needed to. I basically cut across their path as I headed for exit and they continued straight on.
The Rookie
Oops, bang to rights then really, if you are lucky the Police will just pass your details to the other parties insurers and that will be the end of any criminal investigation just leaving it to the civil claim.

One hops you reported this to your insurer, you should also have reported it to a Police station as soon as possible and not outside 24 hours which would probably have given you a defence in any criminal case.
millwallgaz
Just to update -

To this day there has been no contact from a Third Party to pursue a claim.

Which left the question of a prosecution hanging over me. Deafening silence until today. I have received a letter stating that 'Case Officer' does not intend to pursue any charges.

Very relieved and grateful for sage advice from Pepipoo.

The Rookie
Good news then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.