Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN - Driving through Bus lane
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
tiger007
Hi guys,

Just wanted to start of by saying that this forum is incredible and it's great to know that such a platform exists for motorists hard done by the greedy councils!
Now, moving on to my case....I received a PCN yesterday. The alleged contravention is as follows:-

33C: Using a route restricted to certain vehicles buses and cycles only.

Now, the council in question (Harrow), sent me a letter demanding £130 or £65 if paid within 14 days or so. They also have included a photo of my car driving through a bus lane.

Now, the issue I have here is that it is such a pathetic issue to call me over. I didn't even realise I drove on a bus lane until I received this letter. On the letter it only stated the roads name but thanks to google maps and the picture they provided me, I was able to figure out where this happened. You will see in the picture attached how silly this is.

https://goo.gl/maps/V16g4

This happened at 11.08pm, so bare in mind it was dark. The reason i went through the bus lane was because I thought my car wouldn't fit through the other way and being dark, it would seem easier to go straight over the bus lane.. Moreover, I'm not from this area so when i approached this section, I had to make a quick decision on what lane to go on because there were cars behind me and I obviously wouldn't want to slow them down. Looking back now, I clearly should have. But the bus lane literally comes out of no where, is really short and seems really pointless.

To be honest, It just seems they put that there to catch people out and make them some money. How pathetic. Do you guys things I might have a case to appeal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Incandescent
Frankly, you will struggle to overturn this, and to do so will involve going to PATAS, the adjudicators and if you lose the full £130 is payable. However you can see if you have a good case by answering the following: -

- Were the street lights on ?
- Was the sign lighting on ?
- Is there any advance warning ? (GSV shows none, BTW)

If you haven't seen them before, these pinch-points are there to stop lorries using the street. Yes, it is petty to penalise cars, but, hey, they get your money and have the law on their side. Yes, it is also venal and rapacious but that is Great Britain 2014, I'm afraid.

If you can't give definite answers to the above, might be better paying the discount, and put it down as a learning opportunity in Life's Rich Pageant.

Oh, post the PCN too.
tiger007
QUOTE (Incandescent @ Tue, 2 Dec 2014 - 19:42) *
Frankly, you will struggle to overturn this, and to do so will involve going to PATAS, the adjudicators and if you lose the full £130 is payable. However you can see if you have a good case by answering the following: -

- Were the street lights on ?
- Was the sign lighting on ?
- Is there any advance warning ? (GSV shows none, BTW)

If you haven't seen them before, these pinch-points are there to stop lorries using the street. Yes, it is petty to penalise cars, but, hey, they get your money and have the law on their side. Yes, it is also venal and rapacious but that is Great Britain 2014, I'm afraid.

If you can't give definite answers to the above, might be better paying the discount, and put it down as a learning opportunity in Life's Rich Pageant.

Oh, post the PCN too.

Hi Buddy,

Thank you very much for your response. To answer your questions, I do recall that the road didn't have much lighting but I am assuming that the lights were on on both the street lights and the signs.

That does suck though, paying for this! I mean, every motorist makes mistakes...they really shouldn't get penalised for the most trivial mistakes!

Anyways, thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.