Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone care to argue that THIS wasn't dangerous driving?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > News / Press Articles
Fredd
This kind of thing tends to bring out the apologists keen to explain why it wasn't really dangerous, so I wondered if anybody fancied sticking their head above the parapet for this guy? Truck drives the wrong way down a slip road onto the M6 toll road, and attempts to rectify this by a U-turn across two lanes of the motorway! 15 months suspended sentence.
Glacier2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9mWjNdxN6Q

I agree it is dangerous.
paulajayne
I see it as he made an error and corrected it safely.
Looks like the court saw it that way.

Maybe BIB could have been called to assist his turn onto the motorway.

DancingDad
Had he parked up on hard shoulder and called for help, maybe not too dangerous, more stupid.

I wouldn't be too chuffed at 70 seeing a truck sideways on ahead.
Atomic Tomato
Yes, potentially very dangerous

Assuming he had made a mistake of reverting to his normal side of the road (and who can swear never to have done that, even briefly, when abroad) and found himself on the slip road facing the wrong way he had 3 choices

1) Back up with no guidance
2) Park and wait for help
3) Do what he did and join the quiet motorway with full visibility of the oncoming traffic.

Arguably 2) is the most sensible solution to the situation he found himself in, but in the video the only traffic that appears to be unnerved by the truck was traffic exiting onto the slip road. No one on the motorway seems to have had to take any avoiding actions.

If the motorway had been busy at the time I would agree that the punishment should have been a lot harsher.
matt285
QUOTE (Glacier2 @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 10:51) *

Why the bloody f##k did he do this rather than just waiting there and calling the police?

Total muppet, off with his head!

And to the people who said "well it would be different if it would have been busy" - there were lots of cars on the bloody road. It's not that there's a single car on the horizon. How can you seriously say that this motorway was empty?
crashdetective
His saviour was that he was not familiar with UK roads.

I've seen worse so am not surprised. Frankly, I think he should be given the accolade of 'Most Intiative shown by a LGV Driner (Saver of Lives) Award by Fedup.
Atomic Tomato
QUOTE (matt285 @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 15:11) *
How can you seriously say that this motorway was empty?

I hadn't read anybody saying that seriously or otherwise
jdh
I lost a wing mirror to a foreign lorry on the wrong side of the road, despite the damage, full reg & info from the signwriting after I did a U turn and followed it the police wouldn't do a single thing.
matt285
QUOTE (Atomic Tomato @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 15:33) *

"If the motorway had been busy at the time I would agree that the punishment should have been a lot harsher."

The opposite of "busy" is "empty" isn't it? wink.gif
Atomic Tomato
QUOTE (matt285 @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 17:26) *
QUOTE (Atomic Tomato @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 15:33) *

"If the motorway had been busy at the time I would agree that the punishment should have been a lot harsher."

Not in my book it isn't, the opposite of empty is full. A busy motorway is not the same as a full one. Plus if it had been empty I couldn't have commented on the traffic not having to take avoiding action.

At the end of the day the motorway was quiet and the manoeuvre although potentially dangerous did not cause any driver to change their path.

I agree it was not a sensible thing to do.
Gan
Incredibly stupid but not much worse than the idiot on the M69 at about 4 pm the other day that required slamming on the anchors.

Instead of accelerating before joining from the hard shoulder, he tried to pull out as if he was leaving a tight parking space.

After going past I looked in the mirror and watched him do it again
glasgow_bhoy
Very bad driving indeed.

However, what the hell is the process for drivers with no method of payment at the tolls? I keep a spare credit card in the car for such emergencies, but what about people with no backup plan?
Fredd
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 00:46) *
However, what the hell is the process for drivers with no method of payment at the tolls? I keep a spare credit card in the car for such emergencies, but what about people with no backup plan?

PePiPoo, the font of all knowledge. biggrin.gif

It can't be a very common occurrence for somebody to set out on a motorway journey with no cash, no credit card, no cashpoint card, not even a fuel card, though.
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 09:25) *
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 00:46) *

PePiPoo, the font of all knowledge. biggrin.gif

It can't be a very common occurrence for somebody to set out on a motorway journey with no cash, no credit card, no cashpoint card, not even a fuel card, though.

That actually seems very fair.

But you'd be surprised how many people never take any kind of payment method. Happens a lot with my girlfriend. And I do it at work when I borrow someone elses car and don't take my jacket (with wallet inside). Its only when I get to the city centre and need to park that I start cursing and turn back.
DancingDad
The still showing the lorry making the turn shows someone in the outer lane and a couple of cars on the exit.
I really think that I'd have been clenching the old sphincter as hard as pushing the brakes had I been one of them.

I am still trying to work out how he came down the slip road, if he did.
The toll booths on the M6 Toll are on the exits so did he get to them, think oops and pull a U turn?
StuartBu
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 11:28) *
The still showing the lorry making the turn shows someone in the outer lane and a couple of cars on the exit.
I really think that I'd have been clenching the old sphincter as hard as pushing the brakes had I been one of them.

I am still trying to work out how he came down the slip road, if he did.
The toll booths on the M6 Toll are on the exits so did he get to them, think oops and pull a U turn?

If you watch the video you will see he was stopped to the side of the slip road presumably waiting for an opportune moment to swing back on to the main carriage way so those exiting the slip road would have been watching him carefully . The car staying on the main carriageway outer lane must have been a bit apprehensive until he saw the cab turning tightly and out of the way ....the camera probably foreshortens the scene .

Presumably he must have come along a road over the Motorway and turned down past a NO ENTRY sign on the OFF slip road. Without looking at the exact location there could have been 4 slip roads,2 on and 2 off...he just choose the wrong one.
DancingDad
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 14:16) *
Presumably he must have come along a road over the Motorway and turned down past a NO ENTRY sign on the OFF slip road. Without looking at the exact location there could have been 4 slip roads,2 on and 2 off...he just choose the wrong one.

Not only a No Exit sign but a run of Toll Booths?
Like you say, difficult to tell without knowing the exact location but I am intrigued how he got to the motorway down the wrong slip road.

I think it's this junction, everything seems to match.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6490926,-...ZOUkG7A!2e0
Look behind, you'll see the toll booths. And the video shows that he didn't enter via the service road alongside the tolls.

I am right curious to know how he got there?
StuartBu
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 15:07) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 14:16) *

Not only a No Exit sign but a run of Toll Booths?
Like you say, difficult to tell without knowing the exact location but I am intrigued how he got to the motorway down the wrong slip road.

I think it's this junction, everything seems to match.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6490926,-...ZOUkG7A!2e0
Look behind, you'll see the toll booths. And the video shows that he didn't enter via the service road alongside the tolls.

I am right curious to know how he got there?

Can't get that link to open....seems there is a problem with Google Maps in Firefox.....did manage it on my phone and tried to reverse back up the slip road ..it divides ...one way goes to Tolls but maps doesn't take you back up the other way to see where it takes you so the lorry must have come down that way ..

EDIT: Sorted it ..That slip road has one section marked WIDE LOAD on the road surface and when you get up to the top you arrive here >>
http://goo.gl/maps/cL98I

Is it possible the lorry was on the road with the cars and lorries on and turned down that part of the slip road ..I can't see any signs saying NO ENTRY
DancingDad
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 16:53) *
............. and tried to reverse back up the slip road ..it divides ...one way goes to Tolls but maps doesn't take you back up the other way to see where it takes you so the lorry must have come down that way ..

Check the video again, lorry seems to drive straight past the entry road where it divides
This is GSV, service road to right.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6491096,-...C7-QWcg!2e0
StuartBu
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 17:14) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 16:53) *
............. and tried to reverse back up the slip road ..it divides ...one way goes to Tolls but maps doesn't take you back up the other way to see where it takes you so the lorry must have come down that way ..

Check the video again, lorry seems to drive straight past the entry road where it divides
This is GSV, service road to right.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6491096,-...C7-QWcg!2e0

If he did come down that "WIDE LOAD" slip he has to get through a controlled barrier and turn right so unless the barrier was left UP which seems unlikely ..all very odd.
matt285
QUOTE (Atomic Tomato @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 17:47) *

Not in my book it isn't, the opposite of empty is full.

Well the opposite of busy is empty. At least in the dictionary where I looked.
southpaw82
Really children? rolleyes.gif
StuartBu
QUOTE (matt285 @ Sat, 15 Nov 2014 - 20:30) *
QUOTE (Atomic Tomato @ Fri, 14 Nov 2014 - 17:47) *

Not in my book it isn't, the opposite of empty is full.

Well the opposite of busy is empty. At least in the dictionary where I looked.

Depends on the context.. could be "quiet" :-)
matt285
Yes really. Really really.
southpaw82
In case you've not noticed, this isn't the flame pit. So behave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.