Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Average speed cameras changing speed limits
FightBack Forums > Queries > Technical Discussion of Enforcement Devices
demon46
Out of interest, can Specs average speed Cameras work between speed limits? I.e. One in a 40MPh zone and then one in a 50 MPH zone.

For example, on one stretch of the A14 near Newmarket east bound, there are specs cameras in the 50 zone and then another one once it goes up to NSL. Are they generally linked or do they operate seperately? Or is it more likely that the road works have moved back and the one in NSL is actually turned off (Or the first average speed camera enforcing NSL (and ignoring any information from the previous camera)?
The Rookie
The average speed cameras can only enforce a single limit, so no if you have one gantry in a 50 limit (not Zone please - Zone can only be used for certain 20 limits) and the next one in an NSL they are not enforcing between them. They can of course operate in the 2 limits as long as the stretch between the paired gantries is all in one limit.
Lex
This is interesting as I was driving on the A9 yesterday observing the locations of these controversial new devices, which are to be switched on today. On several stretches, the first camera was at the start of a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit, while the second was a significant distance into the 60mph limit. I wondered how on earth that could work. If someone average 80mph they would certainly have been speeding, but which speed limit would they have broken? They could, for example, have stuck to the 70 mph limit and actually averaged 100mph in the 60mph.

Can they really have installed cameras that they cannot use?
The Rookie
Maybe the pairing is the other way round, so what you think is the first is the second, SPECS can only be used along one limit from start to finish of a segment.
Quicksilver
QUOTE (Lex @ Tue, 28 Oct 2014 - 08:57) *
This is interesting as I was driving on the A9 yesterday observing the locations of these controversial new devices, which are to be switched on today. On several stretches, the first camera was at the start of a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit, while the second was a significant distance into the 60mph limit. I wondered how on earth that could work. If someone average 80mph they would certainly have been speeding, but which speed limit would they have broken? They could, for example, have stuck to the 70 mph limit and actually averaged 100mph in the 60mph.

Can they really have installed cameras that they cannot use?

Be careful. It is dual carriageway from Dunblane to Perth = 70 for a car but a combination of dual and single carriageway from Perth to Inverness. Remember the 4 lane road with no central divider is single carriageway.

There are also still some fixed cameras still in place, (in use?).

Q.
homeruk
Normally the first camera in a long average speed section is fake where multiple cameras are used

I say normally cause I'm probably wrong about the a9

Easy to check at night if they are working though....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.