Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: School Zig Zags + Single Yellow
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Gallag
A friend of mine who is a teacher was parked outside the school she works at during the holidays.

She got a ticket whilst her car was parked beneath a sign on a yellow zig zags + a single yellow line, the sign states:

No stopping on school entrance markings during term time
Mon - Fri
8am - 9.30am
2.30pm - 4pm

She appealed the ticket as it was neither between those times or during term time. However it has been upheld as she was still on the single yellow line. The single yellow line only runs the length of the zig zags as at either end there is residents bays. Along the line there is no other sign other than the one mentioning the zig zags.

As I understand it now they don't need signs as the whole area is a CPZ, half a mile down the road there is controlled parking signs saying no parking between 9 and 6pm.

Is it likely this will be upheld if she appeals again? It seems very misleading given she is parked beneath a sign which states time you can't stop there and there are no other visible signs at that point.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

DancingDad
Sounds like possible oversigning to me and possibly the council trying to justify a PCN that should not have been issued.
But please post the PCN and all correspondence to date, blank personal details, leave in location, times and dates pls
Bogsy
The DfT recommend in their guidance manuals that the single yellow behind the zig zag should be independently signed. Refer the council to the DfT traffic signs manual chapter 3 paragraph 12.2

"Where there is a prohibition of stopping on entrance markings within the zone, it might be necessary to sign the waiting restrictions also"

and paragraph 9.17

"it would be helpful to drivers to provide a sign (except where the restriction is no waiting at any time) as a reminder that waiting restrictions apply during times when the prohibition of stopping does not."

Incandescent
For your information, the sign, and zig-zags bars stopping at certain times, the yellow line bars waiting at certain times. If there is no sign for the yellow line it is likely in a CPZ where the yellow line restriction is on the signs at the entry to the zone. I do agree, however, that it can be misleading, but will an adjudicator agree ? On this one you never can tell which way it will go, and you have to risk the full PCN penalty tf find out
Mr Mustard
The sign is wrong. It should say "on entrance markings" not "on school entrance markings" as there is no such thing. Ziz-zags are also used for fire stations, for example.

"during term time" is not an authorised variant so that kills off the sign that is there. Now we just need to deal with the one that isn't.

I see this is a CPZ zone. Is there a pair of CPZ entry signs at evey location to the zone? (except where the road is 5m wide or less or one way). If one sign is missing then send the council a photograph with the challenge.

It is logical to expect a local sign for the single yellow given that there is a sign for the zig-zags.

Please also put up a copy of both sides of the PCN as often they are wrongly worded.
hcandersen
OP, you are not going to get a silver bullet from us which you can pass to your friend. Just questions and a requirement for more info, including docs.

While the stopping sign might be flawed and govt. guidance suggest/recommend that the waiting restriction should be signed separately, IMO the legal position is that this is not required if the yellow line is governed by properly positioned CPZ signs. You've suggested that these are in place.

Your friend's position is not assisted by the fact that they work in the school and would probably be presumed to know what restrictions apply outside the school. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been discussed at length and frequently in the staff room and at parents' evenings.
DancingDad
I just want to see the PCN and correspondence ??????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.