Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding 62 in 30
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Fanatic
I was supposedly doing 61 in a 30 on a locus when the police officer caught me with a Unipart 700 which on the event description says "They were equipped with a Unipar hand held speed detection device which had been checked earlier on in the day and was found to be in full working order and within its calibration date.".

Firstly I knew I wasn't doing 61 secondly I released the cops where not in view, they were hiding on the other side of the road. The locus has two lanes running on each side with an island in between every so often, it also has lampposts on the island.

I've been driving for less then 2 years but I have college to attend which is far from home and I work in England and also need to look after my dad who recently had a stroke so I would require the car to look after him and to do my work which is down in England.
peterguk
Nothing you can do until you receive the summons.

The Police will present evidence of your speed using an approved device.

The fact that they were hiding is irrelevant.

If you receive 6 points, DVLA will revoke your licence, and you'll have to retake your test.
Fanatic
I've received the summons, it's at the end of the month on my birthday, it doesn't tell me anything about what they are charging me with just says if I pled guilty or not

QUOTE (peterguk @ Sat, 13 Sep 2014 - 12:34) *
Nothing you can do until you receive the summons.

The Police will present evidence of your speed using an approved device.

The fact that they were hiding is irrelevant.

If you receive 6 points, DVLA will revoke your licence, and you'll have to retake your test.

southpaw82
I'd be surprised if the summons didn't list the offence.
Logician
QUOTE (Fanatic @ Sat, 13 Sep 2014 - 13:00) *
I've received the summons, it's at the end of the month on my birthday, it doesn't tell me anything about what they are charging me with just says if I pled guilty or not
It must state the offence, have another look.
sgtdixie
Your need for a licence is irrelevant. At that speed if convicted you will get a ban or 6 points and DVLA will revoke your licence.
Logician
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Sat, 13 Sep 2014 - 13:11) *
Your need for a licence is irrelevant. At that speed if convicted you will get a ban or 6 points and DVLA will revoke your licence.

To clarify, they will not revoke your licence if you get a ban, but the court may think your licence should be revoked and give you 6 points to trigger that. A ban is likely to be for 56 days or a bit longer. Either is going to make your insurance premium very unpleasant.

Jlc
As a new driver they shouldn't issue a (short) ban. I presume this is Scotland? If so, the points should be discounted from the normal 6 to 4 or (more likely) 5 - but only for a guilty plea.

Hitting 6 will see your licence revoked - that's 'automatic' and there's no appeal/mitigation process (other than the number of points issued by the court at the material time).

QUOTE (Fanatic @ Sat, 13 Sep 2014 - 12:27) *
The locus has two lanes running on each side with an island in between every so often, it also has lampposts on the island.

Are you querying the 30 limit?

I have college to attend which is far from home and I work in England and also need to look after my dad who recently had a stroke so I would require the car to look after him and to do my work which is down in England.

Unfortunately you do not have a right to a licence - an exceptional hardship plea can be made for totting bans (12 points). However, the stuff above could be brought up in court to hopefully mitigate. But you will have to drive like a nun for a while now.
homeruk
I was supposedly doing 61 in a 30 on a locus when the police officer caught me with a Unipart 700 which on the event description says "They were equipped with a Unipar hand held speed detection device which had been checked earlier on in the day and was found to be in full working order and within its calibration date.".

Firstly I knew I wasn't doing 61 secondly I released the cops where not in view, they were hiding on the other side of the road. The locus has two lanes running on each side with an island in between every so often, it also has lampposts on the island.

I've been driving for less then 2 years but I have college to attend which is far from home and I work in England and also need to look after my dad who recently had a stroke so I would require the car to look after him and to do my work which is down in England.

How do you know you weren't doing 61?

And how do you intend to prove it?
johnjo42
At that speed you are likely to get an instant ban and no points or if they don't ban you, 6 points which, as others have said, means that your licence will be revoked and you'll have to start all over again as a learner with a provisional licence.
The only possibility of avoiding either is if you are able to persuade the Court not to ban you and to give you 5 points on the basis that losing your licence will have a catastrophic effect on you. It will be an uphill struggle and you will have to do it properly e.g medical evidence of your father's condition and why you are the only one he depends on.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (johnjo42 @ Sat, 13 Sep 2014 - 16:01) *
At that speed you are likely to get an instant ban and no points or if they don't ban you, 6 points which, as others have said, means that your licence will be revoked and you'll have to start all over again as a learner with a provisional licence.
The only possibility of avoiding either is if you are able to persuade the Court not to ban you and to give you 5 points on the basis that losing your licence will have a catastrophic effect on you. It will be an uphill struggle and you will have to do it properly e.g medical evidence of your father's condition and why you are the only one he depends on.

...and explain who looks after him whilst you are 'far away' at college for presumably several days each week. Isdriving a necessary part of that care? If so, why drive over 60 in a 30 limit.............

These don't need answers here, but be prepared to be asked at court...............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.