Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeremy Hunt sticks a knife into Hospital PPC's
FightBack Forums > Discussion > Government Policy
Richard Lionheart
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-27...ee-parking.html

The delicious highlights:

-Hospitals must offer free or cut-price parking to the seriously ill

- cowboy parking operators can no longer be allowed to impose huge fines for trivial infringements.

- Hospitals "will have to act against rogue contractors and not sign contracts ‘on any basis that incentivises fines’."

- Hospitals should offer free or reduced cost parking to the relatives of all patients considered to be gravely ill.

- Concessions should also be offered to the disabled and to people needing frequent outpatient appointments, such as those receiving chemotherapy.

- Nurses, doctors and other staff working shifts and unable to use public transport should also be offered discounted rates.

- Discretion must be used to ensure patients are not issued with swingeing fines if their appointment over-runs.

- Hospitals will be urged to axe camera networks that fine drivers even if they are just a few seconds late.

And about *&!$&ing time. as well.
mullie
Hospitals have been told to give free or cheap parking to the relatives of chronically ill patients.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said new guidelines for English hospitals have been created in order to end the stress of "unfair" charges.

Patients with disabilities, those who have frequent appointments and members of staff working shifts will also benefit from the changes, Mr Hunt said.

The guidelines state hospital trusts should waive fines when an overstay is beyond the control of the driver, for instance if treatment takes longer than planned.
emanresu
Original source:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/...principles#fn:4

Check what he actually says
buttonpusher
I bet most have to run through all the hoops to get the trusts to contact the ppc to waive the invoices. Pity they are only guidelines, allows them to ignore if they want to.
DBC
Pay on exit is the best and only answer.
crashdetective
Works well at my local hospital (which reverted from "fines").
SatNavSam
QUOTE (emanresu @ Sat, 23 Aug 2014 - 07:42) *
Original source:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/...principles#fn:4

Check what he actually says

Fines
should only be imposed where reasonable

Contracts should not be let on any basis that incentivises fines, eg ‘income from penalties only’.

‘Reasonable’ fining practice might include fines for people who do not have legitimate reasons for parking (eg commuters), or who persistently flout parking regulations (eg blocking entrances). A period of grace should normally be applied before a fine is issued. ↩

?????????????????????
emanresu
Contracts should not be let on any basis that incentivises fines, eg ‘income from penalties only’.

That's the BPA members sorted then. And if anyone is looking for a comment they should contact Jug Johal, Hotel Services General Manager at Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust . He is/was the chair of the BPA Hospitals Services Committee.

He did have some very strong views and I wonder if he will be as outspoken now - or perhaps if contacted he may not be so.

http://www.nlg.nhs.uk/content/uploads/2013/12/FMP045.pdf

50% bounty
The Rookie
My local hospital has no PPC on board, ticket collect on entry, pay on exit and use the ticket to open the barrier, remarkably simple.
Fredd
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 25 Aug 2014 - 15:14) *
My local hospital has no PPC on board, ticket collect on entry, pay on exit and use the ticket to open the barrier, remarkably simple.

My local hospital has the same. But it also implements the cunning ploy of not limiting entries to the number of free spaces, thus enabling it to monetise the poor saps who have to crawl around the car park, often for an hour plus, before they can even park. Plus those "luckier" souls who know this happens, so have to turn up an hour or so early to have a chance of making their appointment.
StuartBu

As someone who has been attending hospital quite a few times recently I'm glad I live in Scotland .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.