Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding ticket - Limehouse Link
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Twistededge
On the 18th June I moved house - I paid for mail redirection and whatnot and went back to check my old mail a couple of times before redirection started. The redirection should have started on the 26th.

Today (29th July) I received a redirected letter from the met police:

"REMINDER LETTER

On the 25th June you were sent a Notice Of Intended Prosecution regarding the alleged offence of EXCESS SPEED (30MPH Restricted Road ) 15-Jun-2014at 11.32 Hours "

My scanner isn't working, but it goes on to serve as a reminder for not responding to the NIP and telling me I have 7 days to name the driver or face prosecution etc.

The NIP was never redirected to me. It wasn't there when I went to check for mail - so for all intents and purposes I never received it.

I have changed my car registration address but haven't yet changed my licence (I forgot)

Any pointers as to my next move?
The Rookie
Reply naming yourself as driver, you can't give a reliable testimony that the NIP was not served so I see no defence, you have time to reply so don't hang around.
Twistededge
How reliable does a testimony need to be?

I mean, I moved on the 16th June and certainly have proof of that.
I also have proof that redirection of mail started on 26th June.

However, I cannot prove I returned to collect mail between those times - although I didn't hand the old keys over until about the 24th
Unzippy
You don't need a testimony. You need to name the driver within 7 days.
The Rookie
You need to name the driver regardless of whether the NIP was outside 14 days or not.

If you want to contest the delivery of a NIP in the 14 days, you reject any kind offer and go to court, if you think that given your arrangements a bench will consider that sufficient proof the NIP then do so, but I would have to say you will need EVERYONE who could have had access to it to state under oath it wasn't received.
Logician
As above, you need to name the driver ASAP. Attempting a late NIP defence would be a very high risk strategy.
AFCNEAL
What's the docref date on your V5?

Having a redirect isn't a get-out of changing your address details on V5 and licence - was it updated by June when the original was sent? Indeed was the redirect still valid 5 months after you moved out?
southpaw82
QUOTE (Twistededge @ Tue, 29 Jul 2014 - 14:16) *
so for all intents and purposes I never received it.

No. For the only intent and purpose that matters service was effected on you by posting it to your last known address.
homeruk
You say you started the redirect on the 26th and handed the keys back on the 24tj.

Therefore there is two days when you couldn't have checked the mail, is it possible it was delivered then?
Twistededge
QUOTE (homeruk @ Tue, 29 Jul 2014 - 18:55) *
You say you started the redirect on the 26th and handed the keys back on the 24tj.

Therefore there is two days when you couldn't have checked the mail, is it possible it was delivered then?

Yeah absolutely, and it's also likely that Royal Mail messed up on the redirect for the first couple of days.
The Rookie
None of which changes the position you are in now, no defence to the substantive offence and have to name the driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.