Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Closed Lane on M6
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
RoadUser12
My friend is a little bit worried.

She was driving up the M6 (northbound) last week, after the fuel spill at Junction 10a-11. After clearing congestion around Birmingham, she was on the inside (left) lane following the flow of traffic when she got to the next gantry she noticed it had an arrow pointing to the other lane in it. Continuing she indicated but in typical fashion no one would let her in. Rather than stopping she says she slowed down and continued, matching the speed of the cars to my right she passed under a Red "X" gantry which I know you should not do, but she says she didn't want to stop or force in in front of someone and cause an accident. After continuing down the road to where the lane was *really* closed (cones) someone did finally let her in (should point out this was after another Red "X"). There were cars in front of her the whole way too.

I know driving under a Red "X" on a motorway is the same as running a red light, but in order to help her out could you guys answer a few questions?
- Are the Red "X"'s enforced by the gantry speed cameras?
- What is the "correct" procedure in this situation? Stop and wait for someone to let you in?
- If caught what is a likely penalty as she has no points on her license?

Thanks!
southpaw82
No.

Yes.

3 points and £100 FPN.
RoadUser12
So if she didn't get stopped at the time of the offence, is it likely she "got away with it"? Or can they prosecute you based on CCTV (if that is a thing)?
southpaw82
QUOTE (RoadUser12 @ Mon, 21 Jul 2014 - 21:45) *
So if she didn't get stopped at the time of the offence, is it likely she "got away with it"? Or can they prosecute you based on CCTV (if that is a thing)?

They can indeed prosecute based on CCTV. They have 14 days to notify the registered keeper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.