Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MS90 2 years ago, found out after recent change of address
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Karenlouisee
As the title suggests, I recently changed my address on my licence to my new one and have noticed 600 fine and 6 points for an offence on 17/12/12. Conviction date in May 2013. I can only assume it was for a speeding offence. Reason I of course didn't reply to the nip or anything is because I had moved house and didn't notify the dvla of this until last week. Which is obviously my own stupid fault.

So I've read a bit around a statutory declaration. Is it too late for this now? If they accepted it and re summoned for the original offence could it be reduced to 3 points and a lesser fine? Should I risk it? As I didn't change my address for some time which is an offence carrying a fine if up to 1000 anyway. I wouldn't want to end up with 3 points, and a huge fine! I'd just stick with. 600 and 6 points.

Also, i need to pay the 600 fine if I leave it as it is, which I cannot afford at all at the moment. Would the dvla do a payment plan of some sort? And is it likely they will have sent bailiffs or letters to my old address to try to retrieve the 600 already?

Any advice is really appreciated!
Jlc
You have a limited time to perform a SD upon finding out about the conviction (21 days).

It's not a fine from the DVLA but court. They might agree to a payment plan - I would contact them before you are visited.
homeruk
It will probably be for a ftf offence.

I'm amazed they haven't chased it.

You also need to tell your insurers asap about the ms90 code or you risk your insurance being void, be prepared for a hefty hike in premiums however.
sgtdixie
It appears you will struggle with a defence as it was your fault the requirement was not received, the points and fine are in line with guidelines.

Possibly one question to ask yourself is if you are only going to end up getting the same penalty is it worth the stress, and possible legal expense, of doing an SD and ending up summonsed to court only to get convicted again.
Karenlouisee
Thanks for your replies. I think we are going to change insurance to someone else, the quotes received were less than what we pay now, even with 6 points. Will just need to pay a cancellation fee for the current one.

It has a code for the court on the driving licence paper here, if I find out the court then I will call them and arrange to pay is that correct?

I will never forget to change an address again after this that's for sure.
Jlc
QUOTE (Karenlouisee @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 22:06) *
It has a code for the court on the driving licence paper here, if I find out the court then I will call them and arrange to pay is that correct?

Yup, they'll be a convicting court code. It will be the magistrates court near the offence.
Karenlouisee
Does it also count as a criminal conviction on my record?
southpaw82
QUOTE (Karenlouisee @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 22:22) *
Does it also count as a criminal conviction on my record?

It's not a recordable offence so no criminal record. It is a criminal conviction, so if asked then you have been convicted of an offence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.