Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First letter was a final reminder? Also can I take take the awareness course?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
BigZee87
Hello all,

I have had my first speeding ticket ever through today after nearly 10 years on the road sad.gif

My first issue is that I have no recollection of seeing the "manned equipment" what so ever, it obviously was there but should they have signs or anything?

They also havent sent me the picture they say they have?

Also they didnt send me a first letter, they have just gone straight to a final reminder saying they sent a letter a month ago but nothing was received?

When it does come down to it though I may well have been speeding as the time was when the road would have been quiet and although the road is a 30 its a quiet big road what everybody speeds down. Im not trying to justify or deny it in any way I just want to know if there's anyway I can avoid points as it may well effect my job.

I was apparently doing 46 in a 30 and have 3 points about 3 years ago for a bold tyre, is there any way I can do the awareness course to avoid points? and if so how do i go about requesting this??
candy1
i would ask for picture for proof
peterguk
QUOTE (candy1 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 12:39) *
i would ask for picture for proof

I wouldn't. They are under no obligation to supply any evidence at this time and will probably decline.

No warning signs necessary, and just because you didn't see them (as well as the speed limit signs), doesn't mean to say they were not there.

If you were driving, i'd return the S.172 form post haste, else you're into 6 points and hefty fine for FtF.
BigZee87
I thought as much. How do you go about trying to take the course?

i had a look online and I think for a 30 you can only be going 44 but as i was going 46 I may not be able to take it? If i wright to them and ask to take it as my job depends on it is there any chance they will let me take it or is it black and white?
sgtdixie
42 is the max for a course. There is no chance they will offer one at 46. It will be a COFP, 3 points and £100 fine
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (BigZee87 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 12:54) *
I thought as much. How do you go about trying to take the course?

i had a look online and I think for a 30 you can only be going 44 but as i was going 46 I may not be able to take it? If i wright to them and ask to take it as my job depends on it is there any chance they will let me take it or is it black and white?

There's never any harm is asking, but of the many similar cases on here I can't recall anyone being offered at speeds above the threshold....otherwise everyone would be doing them?
NeverMind
QUOTE (BigZee87 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 12:34) *
and have 3 points about 3 years ago for a bold tyre

Ah, shame, I much prefer the bold ones to the timid ones! wink.gif
BigZee87
Lol, I didnt think that looked right lol. thanks for lightening the mood anyway smile.gif

Suppose there is nothing I can do now anyway, I will ask if there is any way I can take the course and let everyone know but thanks for the input anyway everyone.
southpaw82
Fill in the NIP Wizard.
peterguk
as my job depends on it

So you have points already?
homeruk
QUOTE (peterguk @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 17:14) *
as my job depends on it

So you have points already?

If you do decide to write and ask for an awareness course (which is a waste of time to be honest) don't mention your job depends of you not having points as they will promptly ask whyyou were ddriving around with a bald tyre and why you were doing an indicated 50 on your Speedo in a 30 zone.

BigZee87
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 17:07) *
Fill in the NIP Wizard.

I tried this but it kept saying I had to start a post as I didnt do it properly?
southpaw82
What I'm interested in is whether you were told within 14 days of the offence that you would be prosecuted.
The Rookie
QUOTE (BigZee87 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 20:00) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 17:07) *
Fill in the NIP Wizard.

I tried this but it kept saying I had to start a post as I didnt do it properly?

Try doing it properly then, did you use the additional questions button?
BigZee87
I'll have another go at the wizard when I get home.

I was not told within 14 days. I have only received the final reminder but on that it said they did send the first letter out a couple of days after the alleged offence, would they lie about this?

What case can I make if this is true? Is there anyway they can prove the sent the first letter? I can't imagine it got lost in the post coming from down the road and I definitely did not get it...
Logician
They will have procedures in place to prove that they sent the first letter, and they are having to do so all the time. Why should they lie about it, it is nothing to them one way or the other. Letters do go missing, approximately 1 million a year, which is more likely than a lie about it being sent out. Sometimes it does seem as though most of those million are s.172 letters, letters to DVLA and letters from insurers about policy cancellations.
stewpots
QUOTE (BigZee87 @ Fri, 18 Jul 2014 - 12:34) *
Hello all,

I have had my first speeding ticket ever through today after nearly 10 years on the road sad.gif

My first issue is that I have no recollection of seeing the "manned equipment" what so ever, it obviously was there but should they have signs or anything?

They also havent sent me the picture they say they have?

Ask for a copy of the picture
Transit man
QUOTE (stewpots @ Sat, 19 Jul 2014 - 15:10) *
Ask for a copy of the picture

Of which they have no obligation to supply and the clock is ticking re returning the completed s172.
sgtdixie
Usually reminders give you 7 more days to reply. Theere is no time for photos, get your reply back ASAP or it will be a summons for failing to furnish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.