Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN - used wrong meter code with parking app?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Miami2017
Hi, never been on here before so wonder if someone could advise.

Parking for work, there is a long continuous road which has parking bays everywhere for paid parking. My girlfriend pays via the app ParkMobile - there is a code on each meter. She normally parks in the same place, but had to park 50 yards down the road as all spaces were full. It turns out this falls within a different meter, although it is on the same stretch of road. Therefore, although she had legitimately paid to park, because the meter code used was incorrect a PCN has been recieved. She has done this before but not recieved a PCN, not sure if that's just blind luck or not.

Is there any comeback on this at all? Parking was paid for at meter 7802 - it seems the relevant meter was 7825 the very next one along. She pays to park on the road every day.
Incandescent
How far along, and how is the change from one code number to the other indicated ? There must be some indication that the parking bay restrictions have changed, else why have a different number ? So, please, what is there on the ground to indicate changes ? A GSV reference will allow us to mooch around.

And, please, as normal and expected of OPs, post the PCN, all sides with PCN Number and car details blanked out.
Miami2017
Thanks for replying. First of all this this was the ticket she paid for -

Date: 09-07-2014
Customer No: ********
Receipt: ********
Parking session details
Parking location: Birmingham - Bath Row (7802)
Vehicle registration: ********
Duration: 09-07-2014 09:06 - 09-07-2014 13:04

I am working on a photo of the back of the PCN, I can't get it to focus properly!

I'm not well versed but I'm guessing for GSV I can just post links?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.472807,-1...#33;6m1!1e1

This is the meter from which she got her normal code to text. She parks left or right of that meter as far as you can see on GSV - which is a fairly long way - and has never had a problem before.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.473075,-1...#33;6m1!1e1

Unfortunately on this day, there was no parking down the road until here. This is where she parked. There is a sign opposite saying Holloway Head but she could not see that at the time as roadworks are taking place on the side of the road - although, having said that, she has parked in the same place before on occasion and not had an issue. I guess the issue for her is that she had every intention to pay, and did indeed pay to park as she does every day but still got a ticket as it's a different meter code.

EDIT - there is a meter between where she parked, and the meter she got the code from originally, which also is code 7802.
Miami2017

Just some additional things. The PCN lets you view pictures of the incident

[img=http://s8.postimg.org/hxxbxg76p/PCN_number_plate.jpg]

This one shows the roadworks on the other side of the road obscuring the road name.

SchoolRunMum
We'd need to see the rest of the back of the PCN (the words towards the bottom). And tell us whether the words at the bottom (back of PCN) are actually on the back of the tear of payment slip or on the main body of the PCN?

She should appeal in the way you've already said - that payment was made, there was no attempt to avoid payment and a PCN in these circumstances pays no regard to the intention of the regulations. Also the contravention looks wrong UNLESS there is no pay by phone option at that road where she ended up parking.
Miami2017
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have had other personal things to deal with, but back on the case now

Here is the best I can get of the back of the PCN

I am going to do the appeal today or tomorrow so any further advice would be much appreciated
DancingDad
On the second GSV link that you posted (113-115 Holloway head) I can see parking bays but no signs saying pay ???
If that is the case, contravention didn't occur.
If payment is signed, then it does depend on layout of signs and bays. I'm going that way tomorrow, will take a looksee
Mad Mick V
Consider DD's comments first.

If we have bays with two different location numbers your first letter should indicate that payment was made (you will need the Parkmobile receipts or screenshots from your account) and it was a simple error where the Council should exercise its discretion and cancel the PCN. In this I am presuming that the payment terms in both locations are exactly the same.

If the Council play hardball then you should ask if signage was erected on that road which informed motorists that there was such a prohibition in force and that there was clear road markings differentiating the bays.

Ask the Council to indicate the Order relating to differentiation between PBP bays and more specifically the provisions within the appropriate Order which gives rise to the contravention and thus the penalty charge.

I may be wrong but this seems like a byblow of the old ticket machine system where each machine had a different number and zone. But that sort of system had to be systematically described in an Order together with how infractions would be dealt with.

Mick
Miami2017
Hi all,

Have contacted them and asked them to cancel the PCN based on the fact it was paid for, there was no intention to avoid payment and it's an honest and genuine mistake. I did read their PDF document which says they don't generally consider payments for wrong meters, but we'll see how it goes. If I have to get more legal with the arguments you've helped me with, is it OK to introduce those at the next stage? Clearly to me this is just a PCN for the sake of it.
DancingDad
How have you contacted them.... online or letter I assume?
Yes further arguments can be used in later stages

I didn't get chance to go past today so dunno about the state of signs. Get your GF to take some pictures when she parks next time or at lunchtime, we do need to see what the signs in both bays say. The one where she parked and her normal one.
Birmingham also post up CEO pictures, can you post em up here pls. blank out registration plate leave rest in.
Miami2017
Hi, was done online (standard email recieved saying up to 3 weeks to reply to you)

I will sort the photos tomorrow, thanks for your continued help
DancingDad
Don't hold your breath on a reply, I've got one for a friend waiting for a reply from Brum parking for almost 12 weeks now.
If it does not appear, just be patient and wait.
BornYesterday
Just to bring up an old thread, I have received a PCN in the same area.

I had paid for Birmingham - Holloway Head (7825) however, it seems that the nearest ticket machine is Birmingham - Irving Street (7827).

I have logged in to the council site, had a look at the photos of my car and emailed them with a copy of the parkmobile pdf.

My iphone picks up the location as Birmingham - Holloway Head (7825) or Birmingham - Waterloo Street (7680) but never the nearest one, so anyone reading this please dont trust the app. I have previously parked in the same spot multiple times using the "wrong" location and have witnessed CEOs checking my parking in the past, so I am unsure why today was deemed to be different.

Just interested in what the outcome was for Miami2017 ?
Incandescent
QUOTE (BornYesterday @ Tue, 24 May 2016 - 22:32) *
Just to bring up an old thread, I have received a PCN in the same area. I had paid for Birmingham - Holloway Head (7825) however, it seems that the nearest ticket machine is Birmingham - Irving Street (7827). I have logged in to the council site, had a look at the photos of my car and emailed them with a copy of the parkmobile pdf. My iphone picks up the location as Birmingham - Holloway Head (7825) or Birmingham - Waterloo Street (7680) but never the nearest one, so anyone reading this please dont trust the app. I have previously parked in the same spot multiple times using the "wrong" location and have witnessed CEOs checking my parking in the past, so I am unsure why today was deemed to be different. Just interested in what the outcome was for Miami2017 ?

If there is nothing here then we don't know, we have to rely on the OP telling us. Anyway, if you have a PCN, please start a thread as per usual.

BornYesterday
thanks Incandescent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.