Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a ticket - got a PCN! NCP void transaction...
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Mr Ticket
(This is a separate issue to the recent problem with UKCPS and parking out of bay, now appealed. Thanks for all the advice on that.)

This morning I dropped my car at a station car park, bought a ticket using my credit card in the queue, stuck it to the windscreen and left for the day.

Got back and discovered NCP had kindly supplied a PCN for failing to display a valid ticket.... hmmm - upside down, fallen off windscreen...erm no!

On closer inspection it appears the transaction on the card was voided and they decided to print all the normal details for a valid ticket including price and card number plus "Cancelled" in barely legible writing onto a normal parking ticket with the windscreen sticker. I assumed it was correct, stuck it in the windscreen and left the car there!

This was in good faith, with a corporate card for work, so I wasn't attempting not to pay. I'd used the correct procedure for the ticket, pressed green button, machine bleeped as it has in the past and I'd been presented with what appeared to be a ticket, except for some reason they decided that to keep costs down printing a void receipt onto what looks for all the world like a combined ticket & receipt!

So firstly I need to make them aware I was the driver, and not the registered keeper (mother in law's car) but I plan to send my appeal with a cheque for the amount of the original ticket I tried to buy first thing tomorrow.

Fair enough?

I know NCP don't usually go after people but I'd rather they didn't threaten mother in-law while she's doing me a favour lending me her car :-)
dandyman
Sounds fair enough to me. If I were you I'd refer to their demand and state that the enclosed cheques "is in full and final settlement". They will dig a hole for themselves if they then cash it.
Jlc
QUOTE (Mr Ticket @ Thu, 10 Jul 2014 - 20:24) *
So firstly I need to make them aware I was the driver, and not the registered keeper (mother in law's car) but I plan to send my appeal with a cheque for the amount of the original ticket I tried to buy first thing tomorrow.

Fair enough?

I know NCP don't usually go after people but I'd rather they didn't threaten mother in-law while she's doing me a favour lending me her car :-)

NCP can play funny games with keepers and drivers - apparently the Data Protection Act comes into play, but with no explanation.

They won't accept the cheque (although as noted cashing it could sink them) and reject your appeal saying the £60 or whatever is due. Fair enough, but you'll win easily at POPLA and cost them £27 in the process - how mad is that?
The Rookie
If you send a postal order, they will have to return it or cash it, if they dispose of it then you have still paid them, they just decided not to avail themselves of the money, can be traced via the number on them.
Mr Ticket
Guys - i should have logged in and commented on what happened.

I sent them a recorded delivery letter & cheque for the day parking rate the following morning.

A couple of weeks later they sent back a receipt and thank you very much! Common sense. Finally. Not so with UKCPS.... who have now got their "solicitors" on us!

thanks for all the advice!
Jlc
Surprised but the right outcome...
Mr Ticket
Me too, a little. Core part of letter as below...

A bit of preamble describing why I was there and that my company pays legitimate parking expense and that I'd clearly attempted to pay...

I therefore wish to appeal against the PCCN you have chosen to issue on the following grounds:
• A void transaction receipt has been issued on exactly the same media (paper with sticker back) as used for a valid ticket which is extremely misleading
• The quality of print and size of typeface used on the ticket is so small and poor that it is actually quite difficult to discern that the ticket has not in fact been issued correctly

I do include a cheque for the amount of £5.90 which is a genuine pre-estimate of probable loss suffered by National Car Parks Limited given that this was the unpaid parking ticket price for the day.

If you accept this appeal, please confirm in writing and include a receipt for the amount paid.

If you do not accept this appeal, please supply me with a valid code with which to appeal this further to POPLA as advised within your PCCN and return the cheque to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.