bumpedbumper
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - June 2014
Date of the NIP: - 8 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 9 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): -
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I had a bump with another driver. They parked behind me on a street and i didn't have much room to reverse. They got out and guided me back and i bumped their car. There is no damage to my car and I couldn't see any damage on their car. As soon as it bumped I broke and pulled forward. The man couldn't speak much english which didnt help. I asked if there was damage and after a pause he said yes. I asked him to show me the damage and he pointed to his bonnet but couldn't tell me exactly. Then he said 'there's a sheen'. I think he was saying I'd scuffed the paintwork, but as I say I couldn't see anything. I asked what he wanted to do and he gesture to writing, I asked if he wanted to get insurers involved and after another pause he said yes.
I offered to ring the police so they could verify no damage but he wouldn't let me call them and became aggresive, he kep saying 'i phone police not you, you give me number now. He lend over my car door (driver side was open as I looked for non 999 police number) and blocked my exit, tapping his keys on the roof. I asked him to stop as he was scaring me and he backed off after a glare. He then walked off and left the scene. At no point did we exchange details. I was frightened and didnt know if he'd gone to get someone else, i left the scene and went home as there was no damage and he'd left and i feared for my safety, it was on a side st with no one else around. My parents told me to leave it as there was no damage and not report it. I followed their advice as I didn't want any trouble and I didnt want to waste police time. I didnt know at this point that i was suppose to report it regardless.

Now I have an NIP for failure to stop, failure to report and driving without due care. I'm really panicking as I work in the nhs and this could cost me my job. I can't find any info on if the other person leaves the scene first and if they dont provide details also. Any advice would be grateful. I've never been in trouble with the police and am really scared of loosing my license and having big fines, points and going to prison sad.gif

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 17:14:12 +0000
The Rookie
You should have reported it, not doing so was foolish and a criminal offence.

That said, if you exchange details the. Police will then usually leave it for the insurers to sort out, so provide the Police with details and be open and honest is the best bet,
AFCNEAL
You won't go to prison for this at all.

Your parents' advice was woefully bad - the way the other party behaved was worse than you own by a long chalk. This could well be one of the scams perpetrated by some 'nationalities' in the UK these days and you've been suckered into it.

You are technically guilty, but the Police often lose interest if both parties are insured.

You MUST notify your insurance company right away, explaining the circumstances and any suspicion of a scam as there was no damage - do it now and the Police may disappear.....but make sure your insco know you refute any claim.
bumpedbumper
thank you for your replies. Yes I know now I should have stayed and took details etc, but at the time I panicked and was frightened with him shouting. I want to return this NIP asap as I just want to sort this and for it to go away. I would be fine sorting with insurers, I just want to get it sorted and if any payment etc is due I will pay it. I'm really worrying about losing my license and high fines.
The Rookie
You could have left the scene and then reported it at a Police station, that would have been lawful...... As it is failing to report puts you on the back foot.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (bumpedbumper @ Sun, 6 Jul 2014 - 18:36) *
thank you for your replies. Yes I know now I should have stayed and took details etc, but at the time I panicked and was frightened with him shouting. I want to return this NIP asap as I just want to sort this and for it to go away. I would be fine sorting with insurers, I just want to get it sorted and if any payment etc is due I will pay it. I'm really worrying about losing my license and high fines.

Right now you are 'only' been asked to identify the driver - you have 28 days from the date on the document to do so. Do this and nothing more right now and post back if/when anything else arrives.

Notify your insurer without delay.
sgtdixie
This looks to me like a scam. He guides you back letting you hit his car. No damage is caused at the time but he then puts in a big claim.

Whilst you should have reported it I think that given both vehicles were examined and no damage seen, he was aggressive when you suggested calling the police and when you challenged him he walked off I would be telling the police this is a scam.
bumpedbumper
again thank you for your replies. I have spoken to my insurance company who have recorded everything on my record. The advisor told me I should call the police number on the letter to find out what the other driver has accused me of. Would you recommend this? They said it would most likely be left to the insurers to deal with as noone was hurt and it sounded like he is going to make a claim. Many thanks again.
fedup2
SD is giving good advice and i would be taking it.

The guy set you up and your still falling for it.You need to be turning the tables and sharpish.
crashdetective
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Mon, 7 Jul 2014 - 10:20) *
This looks to me like a scam. He guides you back letting you hit his car. No damage is caused at the time but he then puts in a big claim.

Whilst you should have reported it I think that given both vehicles were examined and no damage seen, he was aggressive when you suggested calling the police and when you challenged him he walked off I would be telling the police this is a scam.

+ 1

I've come across similar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.