Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do we stand - car damage
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
mudcow007
Hello all

my girlfriend was parked legally in a staff car park (NHS), an someone has driven into her an driven off with leaving a note etc....

damage to the car is passenger door is bent an crumpled

my mrs spoke to security who confirmed they have caught "something" on film but cant divulge to us, but told us to speak to the Police an get them to request the footage.

So, i phoned the Police an told them the story, only to be told that "The Police will not request the footage as you cant provide us the reg of the vehicle who hit your vehicle, if we had this we could proceed, the only thing we suggest is speak to your insurance"

so i replied with "view the tape, an you will have the plate"!

i then asked "what if i can speak to the Security team to get the plate (an not view the footage my self)" to which i was told that would be against the data protection act an he would risk his job

is that true, the Police cant request the footage?

what about the leaving the scene of an accident offence?

i know its not exactly the crime of the century, but a crime is a crime?
The Rookie
There is no data protection act defence to them not giving you the reg number, that is hogwash, there is no personal data in the reg number and it's not being tied to a person. I would go direct to the head of security, also escalate through your line manager, also ask for the CCTV to be protected and get it done fast before it is recorded over.
AFCNEAL
I don't believe DPA applies where a crime is committed anyway.............
StuartBu
If you get the plate number you can, if you wish, request the RK details from DVLA for a small charge..or let Police or your insurers deal with it. About £2.50 I think is the charge.
roadrunner 163
i would be contacting the next rank above who you have already spoken to. it may be the case were no reg is apparent but at least you and the police know that then.

Keep at it, you have fallen into a grey area of policy, no VRM/solvability no investigation. The bib your speaking with seems to be avoiding opening a line of enquiry.

QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Tue, 1 Jul 2014 - 16:10) *
I don't believe DPA applies where a crime is committed anyway.............

you make a DPA exemption request. this shows the info your asking for is exempt from DPA as its ZYX, in this case to prevent or detect a crime.
Tinterweb may have a form that you could use.
crashdetective
Firstly find out who the 'data controller' is (the individual registered with the ICO).

Put it in writing that this incident occurred and that you require a copy so firmly request that the footage is secured, i.e. not recorded over. If, after you have notified them, footage is destroyed, they would probably be in breach of the data protection act (arguably, but I'll leave that for a separate debate).

You can then formally request a copy of which they would be able to charge up to £10 for a 'subject access request'. Failure to do so would be ultimately a potential criminal offence so don't be fobbed off.

Alternatively, ask your insurers to request the footage but make sure you have put them on notice to secure the footage first because insurers are notoriously slow.
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (mudcow007 @ Tue, 1 Jul 2014 - 16:01) *

Did you report that specifically as a crime? If not, then go back to the police and report the crime, and get a crime number. That way they may be persuaded to investigate. Sounds to me like the police can't be bothered to investigate, even though evidence is there for the taking.

mudcow007
Hello all

firstly thanks for the replies

here is the damage

i got a phone call of a mate last night (who i didnt know is a sgt in traffic/ police)

he is going to give me a ring today to take details etc.

i have heard back from the security at the hospital who have said they can see the silver taxi reverse into the car but unfortunately cant make the plate out, but the taxi logo is quite distinctive

im hoping the police can then approach the "local" taxi firm an request who did what job at around the time it occurred

will keep you updated

thanks
The Rookie
Well he sure knew he'd done that!

Failure to stop, failure to report, offences a Police force should be investigating for the sake of asking for the CCTV video!
sgtdixie
QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Tue, 1 Jul 2014 - 21:31) *
QUOTE (mudcow007 @ Tue, 1 Jul 2014 - 16:01) *

Did you report that specifically as a crime? If not, then go back to the police and report the crime, and get a crime number. That way they may be persuaded to investigate. Sounds to me like the police can't be bothered to investigate, even though evidence is there for the taking.

It is not a recordable criminal offence so there is no crime number. What you will get is a log reference number. There is no reason they cannot take the report as an rec.
martinbiz
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Tue, 1 Jul 2014 - 16:19) *
If you get the plate number you can, if you wish, request the RK details from DVLA for a small charge

Are you sure about that? members of the public would not be given RK details except under very exceptional circumstances and I don't think an incident like this, of which there are probably hundreds every day would qualify.

southpaw82
QUOTE (martinbiz @ Wed, 2 Jul 2014 - 22:07) *
If you get the plate number you can, if you wish, request the RK details from DVLA for a small charge

Are you sure about that? members of the public would not be given RK details except under very exceptional circumstances and I don't think an incident like this, of which there are probably hundreds every day would qualify.

It's "reasonable cause" not exceptional circumstances.
StuartBu

Yes I'm sure. I obtained RK details from DVLA when someone hit my parked car and drove off but a neighbour noted the number and left me a note.
martinbiz
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Wed, 2 Jul 2014 - 22:48) *
Yes I'm sure. I obtained RK details from DVLA when someone hit my parked car and drove off but a neighbour noted the number and left me a note.
e re

Sorry, but that's not the response I got a few years ago when someone hit into my son's car and drove off, he got the reg number and the Dvla used those very words and told us to report it to the police and they would get the details and may pass them onto my son if they chose not to prosecute.

StuartBu
QUOTE (martinbiz @ Thu, 3 Jul 2014 - 00:14) *
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Wed, 2 Jul 2014 - 22:48) *
e re

Sorry, but that's not the response I got a few years ago when someone hit into my son's car and drove off, he got the reg number and the Dvla used those very words and told us to report it to the police and they would get the details and may pass them onto my son if they chose not to prosecute.

Have a look at
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/...-vehicle-record
It could be that DVLA have loosened the shackles since you made your request .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.