Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red light offence - what happens next
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Figgis
Hi

Two weeks ago I came off a slip road into a large roundabout (A406 to A10). I stopped at a red light at the end of the slip road, then proceeded forward and looked to the right for any oncoming traffic. The way was clear so I accelerated to move left on the roundabout and then realised there was another light at red which I had just gone past. As I was committed to going ahead, I just continued on. Both lights were very close together and that is why I made this mistake. I have not received any notice or whatever I'm supposed to receive.

What should happen next and what is the likely outcome? I have a clean licence since I started driving in 1990 so am really cross with myself for this stupid error.

southpaw82
If the registered keeper hasn't received anything within 14 it's likely nothing will happen. Was there a camera there? Did it flash?
Jlc
Have you received a NIP?

Is there a red light camera there?
Logician
Nothing will happen unless there were red light cameras on the roundabout, which there do not appear to be, or you were observed by a police officer who was unable to stop you at the time. If there were either of these things, the registered keeper of the vehicle you were driving should receive a NIP and a request to name the driver within 14 days. If a NIP is not received within 14 days no action can be taken against the driver unless there is a valid reason for that, but he must still be identified. If you complete the NIP wizard, from the top RH corner, it will be much easier to help you. Click the additional questions button.
Figgis
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 27 Jun 2014 - 21:25) *
If the registered keeper hasn't received anything within 14 it's likely nothing will happen. Was there a camera there? Did it flash?

I didn't see a camera or a flash but I was not looking for either as I did not realise in time that there was an additional traffic light. No policeman in sight either.

QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 27 Jun 2014 - 21:26) *
Nothing will happen unless there were red light cameras on the roundabout, which there do not appear to be, or you were observed by a police officer who was unable to stop you at the time. If there were either of these things, the registered keeper of the vehicle you were driving should receive a NIP and a request to name the driver within 14 days. If a NIP is not received within 14 days no action can be taken against the driver unless there is a valid reason for that, but he must still be identified. If you complete the NIP wizard, from the top RH corner, it will be much easier to help you. Click the additional questions button.

I tried the Wizard before I posted but as I did not receive an NIP it did not appear to go further. I will redo it and click the additional questions button.

Assuming this proceeds, what is the penalty likely to be? Points on my licence and a financial penalty and some type of safety course. I'm just guessing as this is my first offence unless you count one parking ticket shortly after I passed my test.
Figgis
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 27 Jun 2014 - 21:26) *
Have you received a NIP?

Is there a red light camera there?

No NIP and I did not notice a camera. Although I live in the area I don't normally use this junction. What is the worse that can happen to me and my licence?
Jlc
I think you are worrying about nothing.... Usual outcome would be a course or fixed penalty (3 points £100). It is possible to receive a summons if the time into red was significant. At court it's still 3 points but the fine and costs will be higher.

Potentially, a more serious offence could be alleged such as careless driving but it's unusual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.