Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible speeding ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Land123
Hi All

On he A64 this morning towards the east coast, it changes to single carriage way and dual carriage way, On the dual part I came over the brow of the hill at about 75 maybe 77 tops

There was a police van with a camera out of the back pointing towards the hill, obviously I braked but it was too late, I've done some research on this 10% + 2MPH rule and that would make me under the 79 mark

Is this applied as a standard rule across the police forces or from county to county? If I have been caught will I qualify for a speed course?

I expect them to be after people doing 80/90 more then 75 but still over the limit

On the way back I put the Sat Nav on and at 70MPH it showed me as 66/67 now this would make my speed 71/72 due to a higher reading speedo

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks
southpaw82
It's a standard rule but yes, you would be eligible for a SAC. Was it really a dual carriageway - a physical divider between the lanes?
Land123
Morning

Hi yes it was a dual carridgeway, between molton and pickering

2 lanes, barrier (central reservation) , 2 lanes

Thanks
TailEndCharlie
Hi Land123,

There is a 'guideline' from ACPO (Assoc of Chief Police Officers) that suggests all forces adhere to the 10%+2 for enforcement, however this is only a guide-some forces can attempt to prosecute at less than this, many have their own thresholds. I know GMP are quite 'generous' with their thresholds-it is currently 37 mph in a 30 limit where prosecutions begin. The neighbouring forces are quite different, I know that Lancashire are quite harsh, whereas Merseyside & Cheshire are similar to GMP.
Many forces now operate speed awareness courses which they may apply to you at their discretion-they do not 'have to' and may resort to a conditional offer of fixed penalty (pounds and points) dependant on your driving record...
GMP may offer courses to drivers with current clean licences, or no previous 'like' courses taken (with that force) in the last 3 years, whose speed was between 37-42 mph (in a 30).
As for your sat nav speed, do not rely upon this in court in your defence. A car's speeds can be calibrated (and proven), whereas I have yet to meet a sat nav manufacturer who can do the same for their software! It would appear that you have accepted that you were speeding, but you are just curious as to the end result?
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (Land123 @ Sun, 22 Jun 2014 - 20:26) *
Any advice appreciated

Stop worrying. Whatever the outcome, there's absolutely nothing you can do except wait and see what, if anything, shows up in the post. From what you say, the likelihood is that you were within the threshold. Even if not, no amount of advice or discussion here is going to change anything in the immediate future.

Land123
Hi All

Thanks for the responses, Yeah i see your point its a case of what will be will be, Just wanted to see if anybody had previous experiances with that area or speed

14 days to be sent a NIP?

Thanks
peterguk
QUOTE (Land123 @ Mon, 23 Jun 2014 - 12:35) *
14 days to be sent a NIP?

14 days to receive an NIP, assuming you are the RK and have not changed cars or moved house etc. in the last few weeks.
Land123
Hi

No all clear on that front, just a waiting game now then

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.