Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Speeding Fine's over 2 days - Same Camera M1 (19-18) Southbound
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Leereno2505
Hi,

I have received 2 NIP's through for 2 speeding offences on Monday & Tuesday evening this week. Both have been issued off the same camera - M1 Southbound between Junction 19 and 18 where there are roadworks being undertaken. The speed restriction is 50

1 was at 19:51 - 67mph
2 was at 19:20 - 64mph

As I worked from home Thursday & Friday, I am anticipating that a 3rd NIP will be sent through for driving home from work on Wednesday. It's strange that the restriction has been there for around 3 months and yet within 1 week I have been caught twice, possibly 3 times in 1 week....

I have been driving for over 10 years and never had an offence and I'm a little worried on what the outcome of this will be. Can anyone offer any advice????

Also has this happened to anyone else on this stretch of road recently?
AntonyMMM
64 in a 50 may just qualify you for a Speed Awareness Course (if eligible) , otherwise £100 & 3 pts for each offence - assuming the limit is lawfully in place and correctly signed, but these roadwork limits are usually pretty clearly indicated and difficult to miss.
Gan
As a small consolatuion, the 64 mph ticket is just within the conditions to qualify for a course

This would at least mean that you're not treating your accelerator pedal like an eggshell for the next three years

If you were caught at 67 mph, your speedometer was almost certainly reading 70
Jlc
Those speeds appear to indicate you thought it was a 70 (and perhaps many others). If it's correctly signed etc. then it's a fair cop and you will have to take the fixed penalties or possibly 1 course as noted above.

You may end up with 6 points and fines of £200 (9 and £300 if you can't take a course). This is likely to have insurance impact for which you may have to notify them immediately, otherwise at renewal. Hitting 12 points triggers a totting ban (6 months) for which you'll want to avoid...

The outcome will largely be a financial impact but you will still be able to drive.
AFCNEAL
Both ways are VERY well signed and the amount of cones etc makes is abundantly clear there's works going on. God knows why after the whole thing seemed to be rebuild not so long ago, but the signs and indeed the cameras are in plain view.
gedblanker
Give Eric Pickles and Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin a call and ask if they can make the use of speed enforcement cameras unlawful so driver offences for those who are only driving a little bit over the limit are unenforceable...after all it's only fair.

Unfortunately misinformation from offialdom to the enforcement of speed on the motorway seems to have led to the belief that it's OK to do whatever speed you like on there.

The cameras and the limit are very obvious. IMHO you will be offered a course for the lower speed so just be careful you don't miss the signs and cameras in the future or you will quickly head to a 12 point ban.
Kickaha
QUOTE (gedblanker @ Sat, 21 Jun 2014 - 11:00) *
Give Eric Pickles and Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin a call and ask if they can make the use of speed enforcement cameras unlawful so driver offences for those who are only driving a little bit over the limit are unenforceable...after all it's only fair.

Unfortunately misinformation from offialdom to the enforcement of speed on the motorway seems to have led to the belief that it's OK to do whatever speed you like on there.

The cameras and the limit are very obvious. IMHO you will be offered a course for the lower speed so just be careful you don't miss the signs and cameras in the future or you will quickly head to a 12 point ban.

WTF are you on?
southpaw82
QUOTE (Kickaha @ Sat, 21 Jun 2014 - 14:21) *
QUOTE (gedblanker @ Sat, 21 Jun 2014 - 11:00) *

WTF are you on?

Working for an SCP does that to some people.
JC Denton
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Sat, 21 Jun 2014 - 10:39) *
Both ways are VERY well signed and the amount of cones etc makes is abundantly clear there's works going on. God knows why after the whole thing seemed to be rebuild not so long ago, but the signs and indeed the cameras are in plain view.

They are building a dedicated road to take the M6 under the M1 and directly link it to the A14, thus removing those horrible islands.

JC
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (JC Denton @ Fri, 27 Jun 2014 - 13:30) *
QUOTE (AFCNEAL @ Sat, 21 Jun 2014 - 10:39) *

They are building a dedicated road to take the M6 under the M1 and directly link it to the A14, thus removing those horrible islands.

JC

Indeed. My question though was why they didn't do this at the same time the existing bridge was replaced rather than disrupt traffic twice succession - similar to digging up the roads for one utility company, making good, then another appears to dig it up again!
The Rookie
Why isn't really relevant to the OPs case though, although there are probably very good reasons why.
Suntiger1965
After travelling down sat morn I can understand your consern. With the low sun I missed the 50 mph speed sign and my incar camer showed no warning signs before then to my shock the first spec camera was hidden after the bridge before junction 19 and a lot of cars seriously braking due to the lack of warning. Can someone tell the highway agency there needs to be more signs before the 50 zone as the only signs seen were roadworks ahead not reduced speed limit and these were invisible as blinded by the sun
peterguk
QUOTE (Suntiger1965 @ Sun, 2 Nov 2014 - 23:20) *
Can someone tell the highway agency there needs to be more signs before the 50 zone

Why don't you?
Suntiger1965
There's no contact details on their website
peterguk
QUOTE (Suntiger1965 @ Mon, 3 Nov 2014 - 00:46) *
There's no contact details on their website

Not sure what more you want - they list post address, email address and phone number:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/highways-agency

rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.