Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speeding No license no insurance
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Tomsparky86
Long story short i was caught by a mobile speed camera doing 48 in a 40, i have only a provisional license and no insurance, stupid i know! about a month later i was pulled by the police and done for no license and insurance !! i am awaiting a court date for the incident were i was pulled and i am awaiting correspondence from the police regarding the NIP i sent back

I appreciate i have been totally stupid and should never have driven the van without insurance or license.

Could anybody tell me what sort of punishment i will be looking at for the two and also will they do me for no license and no insurance twice?
roythebus
Maybe a 2 year ban and a hefty fine.
peterguk
QUOTE (Tomsparky86 @ Thu, 15 May 2014 - 23:36) *
will they do me for no license and no insurance twice?

You'll have to wait and see if they find out.
southpaw82
If the camera unit finds out you had no licence or insurance or the offences are otherwise "connected" then they may well do so.
Tomsparky86
Could i be looking at a prison sentance?
Logician
Have you been asked about insurance in connection with the first incident? It is not done as a matter of routine, so if the issue has not been raised you are probably clear. Provided it was in England or Wales you will probably get offered a speed awareness course provided you have not done one in the previous 3 years. You have to pay for this, about £80, but it avoids the points.

For the second incident for which you are going to court, for no insurance if you had insurance and it lapsed 6 points is likely, if there is no evidence you ever had insurance 7 or 8 points, and the fine will probably be equivalent to your net weekly income if you plead G, a surcharge of 10% of that (minimum £20) and costs of £85. For driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence a fine of 50% of your net weekly income, less 33% for a G plea. There will probably be no points for that because of the points for no insurance, but I am told that some courts would also give points for that, which could be 3 to 6, most likely 3.

A couple more points, if you are using the van for business, not just SD&P, you need business use cover, and unless it is a car-derived van you need to observe commercial vehicle speed limits. The use of ANPR cameras is now widespread, and these automatically check the insurance status of every vehicle that passes, also DVLA records are checked against insurance records for all vehicles, even those not seen on the road, so you are much more likely to get caught for no insurance than you were. As a learner with a no insurance offence on your licence, the premium is going to be painfully high. When you pass your test you will already have at least 6 points on your licence, so get any more in the next 3 years and your licence will be revoked and you will have to pass your test again.

QUOTE (Tomsparky86 @ Fri, 16 May 2014 - 00:04) *

No and no two year ban, but your insurance premium will be horrible.

Tomsparky86
Thank you for the information logician , can i still be offered a speed awareness course even though i was on a provisional license?
Logician
QUOTE (Tomsparky86 @ Fri, 16 May 2014 - 00:22) *
Thank you for the information logician , can i still be offered a speed awareness course even though i was on a provisional license?

Yes, the only criteria are speed and whether you have done one previously.

The Rookie
If you respond promptly and play ball it is not uncommon for the 'sausage machine' that is the safety camera units not to look at anything beyond what is in front of them, speeding, play with the system and they will likely look closer, much closer.
As an example my nephew got done for 48 in a 30 on a 'restricted' 50cc when he was 16, it was never questioned how he could have been doing 48 on a 'restricted' (to 30mph) bike as he played ball.

For info, the first years premium with an IN10 (no insurance) on your licence is likely to be about double what it would be without, so the first year on a full licence could well be about £4K and not the circa £2K it would be otherwise (depending on area, car, occupation etc).
Aretnap
QUOTE (Tomsparky86 @ Fri, 16 May 2014 - 00:04) *

No, speeding, no licence and no insurance are all offences for which the maximum penalty is a fine and points/ban. If you were to be banned you could be jailed if you drove again while the ban was in force.

A possibility that Logician didn't mention is that the court might ban you until you passed your test. This would mean that you could still get a provisional licence, but that if you breached it's terms again (eg by driving without a supervisor) you would be committing the offence of driving while banned rather than merely driving while unlicensed, and that would mean the possibility of a prison sentence.
Aretnap
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 16 May 2014 - 04:34) *
For info, the first years premium with an IN10 (no insurance) on your licence is likely to be about double what it would be without, so the first year on a full licence could well be about £4K and not the circa £2K it would be otherwise (depending on area, car, occupation etc).

It rather depends on your circumstances. When I had a play on the comparison sites I found that a recent no insurance conviction would only put my premium up by about a third - which I took to mean that as a middle aged, middle class Volvo driver even driving without insurance wouldn't be enough to make me look interesting. For a newly qualified young driver I imagine the effect would be much greater - it depends whether the people in your demographic who drive without insurance tend to do so because they're a bit disorganised with paperwork and didn't renew their policy on time, or because they're the sort of people to drive without regard to any law.
The Rookie
Who knows, I just did it as a dummy quote for one of my kids to shock them into realising the full implications of driving without insurance and it was as near as makes no odds a doubling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.