Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Britain in the Slow Lane
FightBack Forums > Discussion > News / Press Articles
Monster 900
From today's telegraph.

So, while the rest of Europe travels at 80 mph on their motorways the expectation is that we will travel at 40.
roythebus
I have a friend who moved from London to Stuttgart, Germany, where his daily commute by car is at 120mph.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (Monster 900 @ Wed, 14 May 2014 - 07:35) *
From today's telegraph.

So, while the rest of Europe travels at 80 mph on their motorways the expectation is that we will travel at 40.

If you read the article that isn't what it says. It says that at busy times due to traffic density 40 mph is a realistic speed for traffic flow. As we have the greatest density of vehicles in Europe I think comparing us to Germany, France etc is a bit false.
fedup2
Yes 40mph is going to be the realistic speed is you display 40mph on every overhead gantry. It makes me laugh when people blame density of vehicles when actually alot of the time its density isnt the problem its unessercary 40mph limits.
Even road works within managed areas have now often been dropped to 40mph and it doesnt matter wether the roads busy or not,they are having a laugh with the limits.
Gan
A lot of drivers don't know the difference between the advisory speeds and the actual limits
The mixture of vehicles at two widely different speeds leads to sudden braking and lane changes that bring the whole motorway to a halt

There are some very confusing limits southbound on the M1 near Rothersthorpe services

Drops to 50 mph for a mile for rarely seen road-works
Then there's an NSL sign

Less than 400m later there's another 50 mph sign that everyone ignores with no repeaters or NSL afterward
The Rookie
This used to happen on the M6, they had the 50mph fixed limit for the roadworks but the variable limit overlapped the top end, so you were in the variable limit, then would pass the 50 terminal signs, then the last gantry or two of the VSL which would often display a different limit to the 50 (higher or lower).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.