Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking on pavement?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jugeshm
Hi, is it illegal to park on the pavement? Also, if there are double yellow lines?

When I say park on the pavement, I mean all 4 wheels. It's a very large pavement, with more than enough room to still walk (whether that makes any difference?)

I cannot seem to find any information on it.

Received a ticket from the council, which is marked as "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours".

Also, there's no signs anywhere saying what the prescribed hours are?

Location of parked car:

Thanks
southpaw82
It is illegal in London by statute. It is a contravention anywhere there are yellow lines, which inevitably extend across the entire width of the road (carriageway, footway and verges).
Hippocrates
Received a ticket from the council, which is marked as "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours".

Post up your PCN please less personal details. How long were you parked there and why?
jugeshm
Front:

Back:

Incandescent
Yet another motorist who thinks yellow lines only apply to the carriageway !

I'm afraid you are bang-to-rights as the lines apply to the whole road, which includes footways and verges. So unless the PCN contains a fatal error, you really should consider paying the discount. I assume you weren't loading, which is an exemption, but you must prove you were.

You can put in an informal challenge and still get the discount if they reject it, but you need some grounds, and I don't see any at the moment.
jugeshm
I am only querying whether it is legal or not, as I am completely unsure. I'm not saying I had a divine right to park there and demanding this is outrageous.

Yes, I was wrong in parking there.

But when you go to a football match, and there's 100's of cars parking the same, and there's a guy in a high-vis jacket pointing at the empty spot saying "park there", you do just that. You don't think twice.

Only when I got back to the car, most other cars had gone, the guy in the high-vis jacket had disappeared and I'm left with a ticket.
DancingDad
QUOTE (jugeshm @ Thu, 8 May 2014 - 12:39) *
I am only querying whether it is legal or not, as I am completely unsure. I'm not saying I had a divine right to park there and demanding this is outrageous.

But when you go to a football match, and there's 100's of cars parking the same, and there's a guy in a high-vis jacket pointing at the empty spot saying "park there", you do just that. You don't think twice.

Only when I got back to the car, most other cars had gone, the guy in the high-vis jacket had disappeared and I'm left with a ticket.

Send an appeal based on that.
They may reject but you never know and nothing lost as they should re-offer the discount.
Hi Viz jacket ?? Council, Match official ? Any idea ?
Incandescent
QUOTE (jugeshm @ Thu, 8 May 2014 - 12:39) *

This is the basis of grounds for an appeal, but you need to find who was marshalling the parking, maybe the football club know. Was it an afternoon match ? I suspect, looking at your PCN time, that enforcement was suspended during and for a period after the match. So you do have the grounds for an informal challenge, based on what you have described here. What you do after they respond to your letter depends on what they say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.