Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caught driving without insurance, advice needed on fine etc?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Just
Can anyone advise me ?? I got pulled over for driving without insurance, yeah i know, dumb thing for me to have done

I sat in the police drivers car and signed the ticket he gave me ( a traffice offence report), he said i will get a letter in the post with a £300 fine and 6 points on my licence, it has just arrived, i have 28 days to pay it in full or be summoned to court

I am however out of work and cant afford to pay the £300 in one go, i literally have £50 to my name....it says there arent options to pay in installments ? Please keep reading....

If i let it go to magistrates court it might make it even worse and i could get fined more apparently.

My question is : Is there anything i can say in court, any loopholes i can use to get off the points being added and more importantly the £300 fine ???

I have to say i also that i had no mot or road tax either, both had just run out, the car was registered also in a fake name id made up and to an ampty house, the reason i did this is id got a parking fine when my car was once declared sorn, so i quickly sent off the log book to an empty address and to a fake name and told the parking co that i had sold the car and it wasnt me etc, i know it was wrong to do but its done now...the policeman didnt do me for anything else, just driving without insurance. My car was nearly 20 years old and worth nothing so im not bothered to have lost it, i am bothered about the fine and points though...

so I guess i really was lucky the policeman didnt do me for the other stuff, no mot etc, my car was however taken off me and crushed, it was old and not in great condition though i always kept on top of the brakes, tyres etc.

But anyway....is there anything or any techincality i can say in a magistrates court ?? or am i just better off trying to pay the fine and take the points ??? any useful help advised. I know what i did isnt advised, but its done now. What if i just said i hadnt receieved the fine in the post, i guess theyd sent it recorded deliver next time. Looks like theres no way off this at all ??? icon_question.gif
AFCNEAL
There's certainly no way out of it

You'll probably receive an FPN for the insurance, which you can accept. Alternatively you can decline and go to court...but that will cost more.
mrh3369
I suggest you read up on AndyRoo, google it and see where your actions are leading you.
BaggieBoy
And while you are here, how about updating the result of your previous thread here? Only 8 years late.

Taking it to court should allow you to pay the fine in instalments.
Just
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 5 May 2014 - 11:49) *
And while you are here, how about updating the result of your previous thread here? Only 8 years late.

Taking it to court should allow you to pay the fine in instalments.

Ok, i may let it go to court and pay by installments.
Heck, id forgotten all about the other one. 8 years ! wow
sgtdixie
I see from the previous thread the OP couldn't make up his mind who was driving.

You have made a giant rod for your own back and are verging on perverting the course of justice.
southpaw82
If the parking fine was council issued I'd say he's already guilty of PCOJ.
trubster
This thread stinks of PCoJ, backed up on the threads kanga has mentioned

So is there nothing i can do to get off the fine now ??? If i pretended i havent received the letter in the post i guess they will send another recorded delivery

OP has had his options explained to him, it is up to him/her if he/she wants to go down the fotl line, but I can see that ending badly. Nothing more to say.

I'm out biggrin.gif
southpaw82
Frankly you have contracted with them by signing the document given to you by the copper. You are also guilty under common law of being mischievous in your acts and promises by committing fraud with the V5 document. As you stated the vehicle was/is registered with the DVLA and therefore you are playing by their rules. I was fined £800 and 6 points for no insurance but refused to consent and therefore they did not collect the fine. I do not drive I operate a machine as driving is a commercial enterprise conducted for profit. I still have my mode of transport which has been de-registered from the DVLA although they do not recognize the fact. Do you need a licence? Put it down to experience and next time read up on it before you go ahead and stick it up em. Good Luck.

rolleyes.gif
Logician
Ignore the FOTL rubbish. Go to court and plead guilty and the fine will likely be £110 as you are on benefits, the costs £85 (or less) and the surcharge £20. If there is no evidence you ever had insurance the points might be 7. You should be able to get time to pay, probably at £10 per two weeks. Also it may be 6 months before it happens. On the other hand that is a chance for the police to look on the databases and see all the other offences you have committed, who can say whether that is likely or not. There is no point saying you did not receive the fixed penalty, if you do not reply it will go to court anyway and the court fine is likely to be less than the fixed penalty.
Just
QUOTE (Logician @ Mon, 5 May 2014 - 20:11) *
Ignore the FOTL rubbish. Go to court and plead guilty and the fine will likely be £110 as you are on benefits, the costs £85 (or less) and the surcharge £20. If there is no evidence you ever had insurance the points might be 7. You should be able to get time to pay, probably at £10 per two weeks. Also it may be 6 months before it happens. On the other hand that is a chance for the police to look on the databases and see all the other offences you have committed, who can say whether that is likely or not. There is no point saying you did not receive the fixed penalty, if you do not reply it will go to court anyway and the court fine is likely to be less than the fixed penalty.

Thanks for the advice. Yes i did post in some other forums, thought it best to get as many opinions as possible

Will let it go to court and do as you suggested
Logician
I am not suggesting anything, just pointing out the options. The other one is to somehow borrow the £300 and pay the fixed penalty, could be friends, relations, credit card and so on. Hopefully you will get back on your feet again and be more careful about complying with all the legal obligations that go with running a car, because failure to do so can be very expensive.
The Rookie
If you have no income it is possible the fine in court will be lower than the FPN as pointed out, and you'll have time to pay.

Be warned though, an IN10 on your licence will often see the first years insurance hiked by circa 100%, decaying over the 5 years you have to notify them.
Just
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 6 May 2014 - 07:55) *
If you have no income it is possible the fine in court will be lower than the FPN as pointed out, and you'll have time to pay.

Be warned though, an IN10 on your licence will often see the first years insurance hiked by circa 100%, decaying over the 5 years you have to notify them.

I'll be getting an in10 whether it goes to court or not though wont i ?
peterguk
QUOTE (Just @ Tue, 6 May 2014 - 08:37) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 6 May 2014 - 07:55) *

I'll be getting an in10 whether it goes to court or not though wont i ?

If you either accept the FPN or are convicted in court, yes.
The Rookie
Yes, the point being if you are struggling to pay a £300 fine then I doubt you'll be able to pay next years insurance, just a heads up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.