Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 points and a fine for sipping a drink while driving.
FightBack Forums > Discussion > News / Press Articles
GAZ237
Link.
sgtdixie
QUOTE (GAZ237 @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:24) *

I would be going to court if it was me.
Gan
According to the account she was stationary in traffic and the FPN is for "Driving without due care"

Hope she reads the form properly because she's talking about "appealing" it rather than "rejecting"

Wonder how many of these are actually contested or do victims put it down to experience ?
fedup2
Called other officers for backup?

I'm suprised they didn't call the bomb squad just incase it blew up.

Money's money ay?

QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:00) *
QUOTE (GAZ237 @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 15:24) *

I would be going to court if it was me.

Yeh me too but on different charges,what's the charge for an officer wearing a slush?
baggins1234
Reminds me of a similar thing in Wiltshire a few years ago

Highly indignant female went to local TV complaining about the Police who had given her a ticket for not being in proper control when she was sat at a sat in a queue at traffic lights eating an apple.

What she (unsurprisingly) failed to mention in her ten seconds of fame was the build up to the incident

The fact that she had been followed for several miles driving very poorly and it was only when she was held up at the lights the Police were able to speak to her

Needless to say she went ahead with a not guilty plea and the full evidence (and if my memory serves me rightly) complete with video was heard in Court

Unsurprisingly a guilty verdict was reached and unsurprisingly she didn't want another ten seconds of fame with the TV!

I would imagine there is more to this than is being reported in the Daily Mail as they consistently don't let the facts get in the way of a true story when the Police are involved

Time will tell.....but I bet it won't be reported as much if she gets found guilty

Spenny
I think that the clue is in the calling for back up. I would guess that there is more to the story than is being told. I suspect that there is nothing worse than dealing with an indignant chav who thinks that they are super-important because they have an open topped Ka and believes that they are therefore entitled to speak how they wish to a policeman.

I think that the clue is in the calling for back up. I would guess that there is more to the story than is being told. I suspect that there is nothing worse than dealing with an indignant chav who thinks that they are super-important because they have an open topped Ka and believes that they are therefore entitled to speak how they wish to a policeman.
StuartBu
QUOTE (Spenny @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 18:55) *

Yeah ...:-)
Transit man
Very poor DM reporting, a) she's a 22 year old female yet no photo (maybe ugly?) b) no mention on how much her house is worth. ohmy.gif But they did manage to include a photo of what a Ka convertible looks like, for those who do not know (or care?)
fedup2
If you tried to pin that charge on me for that then Yeh,I think backup would be needed and I think many would be spItting feathers too and rightly so.
And I thought the police were moaning they were underfunded!
glasgow_bhoy
There might be more to this story. But then again, police in this country are KPI crazy, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they had decided to ticket for this.
Spenny
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 19:27) *
QUOTE (Spenny @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 18:55) *

Yeah ...:-)

wink.gif

Having been supposedly directly quoted by the Daily Mail when they contacted me for some extra info on a local issue when all they had was an email from me which contained none of the words in any order, my first assumption is that there are very few facts in a DM story. In fact, I know what they printed after the Tower of London bombing in the 70s, so I tend to find that what I believe is more reliable than what they print smile.gif
Atomic Tomato
QUOTE (Spenny @ Wed, 2 Apr 2014 - 23:18) *
Having been supposedly directly quoted by the Daily Mail when they contacted me for some extra info on a local issue when all they had was an email from me which contained none of the words in any order, my first assumption is that there are very few facts in a DM story.

Probably most papers are just as guilty, certainly when I was involved in an article in the Guardian it was full of errors.
Gan
I took a similar view of television reporting years ago when I realised how inaccurate it was discussing subjects that I was familiar with

It was going to be just as inaccurate about the subjects that I was unfamiliar with

It's always best if you can check information using multiple sources
If you do, you'll often find identical wording
It's a sure sign that the newspaper has rehashed a newsfeed and not performed any research

I see that they now have a better picture of the Ford Ka
The officer was obviously concerned that she might drive erratically if some ice dripped

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...ck-traffic.html
richard701
They are now showing a photo of the offending female, and DM has managed to spell Carshalton correctly this time!

My thoughts (pure speculation of course) are that the policeman passing on a bike that stopped her may well have been passed by her further up the road when she may well have been driving to a standard that equated to driving without due care. I'm also pretty convinced that backup wouldn't have been required unless she failed the initial aptitude test towards the copper on a bike.
sgtdixie
One thing which doesn't make sense. She buys a slush. This is a semi frozen drink. Yet if she and the DM are to be believed she wasn't drinking when driving she simply took one sip when stopped. Now call me suspicious but who buys a frozen anything, gets in a car and just leaves it to melt.

I suspect she was seen drinking it whilst driving but the officer could only deal when stopped.

All the same I would take some convincing this was careless rather than not in proper control.
bargepole
Well I'm sure the residents of Carshalton can sleep soundly in their beds now, knowing that the local Police have been so efficient at locking up all the murderers, rapists, burglars, muggers and petty criminals that they can spare four officers to attend an incident like this.
mullie
Isn't the officer on the byke travelling the opposite way so how can she have passed him and also that's not raspberry
slush
StuartBu
QUOTE (mullie @ Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 13:17) *
Isn't the officer on the byke travelling the opposite way so how can she have passed him and also that's not raspberry
slush

Where are you seeing that ?
mullie
But a policeman passing on a bike spotted her and called in three more officers – one on a bike and two in a van.

He then gave her a £100 fixed penalty fine for driving without due care and attention.

If she stopes in traffic wouldn't somebody behind on a bike be stopped as well so it must be he was travelling in the opposite direction
enfield freddy
no the police cyclist was peddling away on the pavement
Buellguy
You just knew the Mail would do this, didn't you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...ctly-thing.html
glasgow_bhoy
Love it Buellguy. I approve of the 'victim' as well now that they've printed a piccy.

To be honest drinking a juice whilst driving is something I do on most journeys- whether it be a bottle, a mcdonalds cup or otherwise. Its not distracting- more helps concentration to be honest in traffic jams and long journeys.
smellywelly
If you complained about the officer drinking from the same type of cup .. the reply would be 'Our officers are specially trained to handle drinking soft drinks whilst on the move'

An adaptation of a story I heard quoted on '5' Live regarding mobile phone use .

I too sometimes take a sip of something, and its no different to removing your hand from the steering wheel to operate any other essential driving control rolleyes.gif

seems a petty use of the law unless as already said there is more to it
baggins1234
QUOTE (smellywelly @ Thu, 3 Apr 2014 - 22:01) *
unless as already said there is more to it

I guess the bit in the article where the Met confirm she was actually given the ticket for not wearing a seatbelt covers this.....

Seems she forgot to tell the Daily Mail this fact......

Perhaps she could read the FPN and see what offence is written on it prior to making a fuss.

Maybe a radical idea?

But it could save the middle Britain outrage over their cornflakes as they read the story
sgtdixie
But how did she get points for no seat belt?
Mattd
Typical anti police trash from the daily mail. What a total waste of paper and bandwidth.
baggins1234
QUOTE (sgtdixie @ Fri, 4 Apr 2014 - 00:04) *
But how did she get points for no seat belt?

She didn't.....but showing her conduct so far as in not reading the ticket properly and running to the paper it's clear she hasn't got a clue!

Maybe the journalist thought it would add to the story...... Not that an anti Police newspaper would embellish the facts though.....would they?

Transit man
Still refuses to put a value on her house though, very poor DM...............
Umtwebby
Looks like the drink in the picture is held by the passenger in the police vehicle. But surely, the Daily Mail wouldn't lie, would they......?
StuartBu
QUOTE (Umtwebby @ Fri, 4 Apr 2014 - 09:16) *
Looks like the drink in the picture is held by the passenger in the police vehicle. But surely, the Daily Mail wouldn't lie, would they......?

That might be even more distracting than holding it yourself ( if you consider it distracting in the first place that is )
Transit man
Looks like the drink in the picture is held by the passenger in the police vehicle.

Only if the MET are now using left hand drive cars.......... rolleyes.gif
Spenny
QUOTE (Transit man @ Fri, 4 Apr 2014 - 13:43) *
Looks like the drink in the picture is held by the passenger in the police vehicle.

Only if the MET are now using left hand drive cars.......... rolleyes.gif

To be honest the perspective is so peculiar that it looks photo shopped to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.