Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photo requested
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Mogz
Having received a NIP for 41 in 30 I requested photographic evidence. The letter arrived today which clearly shows that it was my vehicle and I will be returning the NIP with the appropriate details.

However, much to my surprise, a further letter was enclosed addressed to someone else enclosing their photographic evidence. So I now have the full name, address and car make, model and registration of a complete stranger. How unprofessional is this of the Camera Unit ?

Do I bother bringing this issue up with the Unit (not sure of any, if any, Data Protection issues) or should I just forward the letter on ?
peterguk
Mistakes heppen.

IMHO, i'd stick it in the letter box "return to sender".

If you wanted to do another motorist a favour, send a short letter to them telling them you received it in error. It might save them a FtF charge.
Logician
Send it back to them, they simply made a mistake or the envelope stuffing machine had a hiccup, there's no mileage for you in it.
StuartBu
QUOTE (Mogz @ Fri, 21 Mar 2014 - 12:56) *
Having received a NIP for 41 in 30 I requested photographic evidence. The letter arrived today which clearly shows that it was my vehicle and I will be returning the NIP with the appropriate details.

However, much to my surprise, a further letter was enclosed addressed to someone else enclosing their photographic evidence. So I now have the full name, address and car make, model and registration of a complete stranger. How unprofessional is this of the Camera Unit ?

Do I bother bringing this issue up with the Unit (not sure of any, if any, Data Protection issues) or should I just forward the letter on ?

Mistakes do happen in all walks of life . No point in getting all high and mighty over it .

If you return it to the sender ( even if you 'phone them first to advise you have this other letter) then there is the possibility it gets lost so they think the recipient has just not bothered to reply with all that involves.

Personally I would forward it but if you do forward it on then explain in a covering letter what has happened so the other driver knows about the delay etc .
It's ,imho,important that both parties know what has happened .
Unzippy
Very unprofessional.
That is a serious data breach imo - personally identifiable information ending up in the wrong place.

Report it to http://ico.org.uk/
The Rookie
It's no help to you, but is a breach of the DPA quite clearly....
IanJohnsonWS14
If it is forwarded to the named driver but close to the 28 days then does it not give the other driver evidence to support a NG to a failure to furnish?

Does this still count as the first NIP even if it is sent to the wrong place?
sgtdixie
QUOTE (IanJohnsonWS14 @ Mon, 24 Mar 2014 - 17:33) *
If it is forwarded to the named driver but close to the 28 days then does it not give the other driver evidence to support a NG to a failure to furnish?

It's not an NIP it's photographs.

And no, it won't help the other driver as the supplying of photographs do not extend the 28 day deadline.
AFCNEAL
QUOTE (IanJohnsonWS14 @ Mon, 24 Mar 2014 - 17:33) *

It's never forwarded? The RK either confirms it was him/her or sends it back with the details of who was and then that person gets their own.

Have I misunderstood the question?
IanJohnsonWS14
You miss my point - if the OP forwards the wrongly sent document to the other driver then the other driver still has not received a NIP directly for his offence and has evidence that it didn't arrive in the 14 days.
southpaw82
QUOTE (IanJohnsonWS14 @ Mon, 24 Mar 2014 - 21:21) *
You miss my point - if the OP forwards the wrongly sent document to the other driver then the other driver still has not received a NIP directly for his offence and has evidence that it didn't arrive in the 14 days.

I don't think the OP got someone else's NIP, only their photos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.