Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flashed 3 times in 3 days by M1 variable speed limit cameras!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
vidal
Hi everyone.

I have been commuting from London to Derby for each of the last 5 days.

On each of the last 3 days, I have been flashed by the VSL cameras that are mounted on the gantries between J8 and J11 of the M1.

On the first of these ocassions, I was driving southbound at around 7pm. There was no variable speed limit in force but got flashed doing 66mph at J8. The next day, cautious of my previous day's flashing, I slowed down to 60mph at the same gantry but still got flashed. Again, there was no signage saying that a VSL was in force. Then again today, on the way to Derby, I got flashed by a camera between J9 and 11 whilst doing 48mph in a stretch of road that had a 50mph VSL in force.

My speedometer is not broken and my eyes are fully functional, yet I am now quite worried that I will be receiving multiple NIPs in the post over the next week or so! I have over 10 years driving experience and have never had a point on my license. Why are these cameras flashing me when I am obeying the limits that are in force? Could they be faulty? If I do have trouble in regards to these instances, how am I supposed to prove that I was obeying the speed limits that were displayed?

Any advice appreciated!
AFCNEAL
This is not uncommon - several folk have seen and experienced random flashes. If you are certain of your speed vs the posted limit on the gantry, 'd not worry unduly.
BertB
Was it a single flash?

I drive past these cameras every weekday on the A414 going to and from work, and will often see southbound and one of the northbound cameras giving single flashes. Often traffic hasn't been moving any faster than I am but there hasn't been a VSL displayed when they have gone off.

This generally seems to happen often for a week, and then stop for a while.

But you will only know for sure after 14 days have passed since the events. Is the car registered in your name and you have the V5 shoing your current address?
vidal
QUOTE (BertB @ Fri, 7 Mar 2014 - 10:28) *
Was it a single flash?

I drive past these cameras every weekday on the A414 going to and from work, and will often see southbound and one of the northbound cameras giving single flashes. Often traffic hasn't been moving any faster than I am but there hasn't been a VSL displayed when they have gone off.

This generally seems to happen often for a week, and then stop for a while.

But you will only know for sure after 14 days have passed since the events. Is the car registered in your name and you have the V5 shoing your current address?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the car is registered in my name at my address.

I am telling myself that it was surely just a technical issue. Hopefully one that doesn't result in me receiving anything undeserved through my letterbox! It is just a little disconcerting though and, if a technical fault, not something I should have to be thinking about for the next 2 weeks.
mrh3369
As you were not speeding why worry?
smellywelly
If these devices are not set correctly .. the anguish and angst they provide is utterly frustrating to the law abiding angry.gif
The Rookie
Maybe they are working as intended, maybe some sort of test cycle........they are linked to the limit signs so would appear to be working 'as intended'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.