Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another NIP...
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Jaybo
Well folks, it's that magical time again. There's nothing I like better than walking downstairs in the morning and finding a crisply folded letter from our wonderful and diligent Leicestershire constabulary. Inside, of course, containing a lovely "spank you very much for your money sir" document, decorated with the obligatory and fear-inducing big bold letters of death.

Yea, I got a NIP. :@

Thing is, although I must provide the required information, they don't tell me I have to provide it on THAT particular document. So, if I send it in on a hand written letter (with a few hearts and kisses on it for good measure), in theory, they can't do anything further? Would that be correct?

Really need some advice going down that path from someone who's tried it already or knows about it.

Cheers
sgtdixie
You can send it on a different piece of paper. Make sure the references are included as is all the info they ask for.
jewels2009
Any particular reason why you wish to pursue this route?
Jaybo
QUOTE (jewels2009 @ Tue, 18 Feb 2014 - 13:31) *

Because I don't want the points
peterguk
QUOTE (Jaybo @ Tue, 18 Feb 2014 - 14:00) *

I think OP thinks it'll make life difficult for them... rolleyes.gif
mrh3369

Being an ass could see this go straight to summons and guarantee not only the points but a higher fine as well.
The Rookie
I doubt it would see it go straight to summons (though no offer of a SAC may be made where it otherwise would), depending on wjhat else was put in the letter of course!
jewels2009

Fair enough, then I suggest you stop pumping the GAS .
If your just being obstinate because you can, chances are your doube them, with associated extras.

However pls fill in the wizard, may be with further info of circumstanceis, a SAC may be forthcoming to deliver your desire.
scottishpoet
You do not need to fill it in on that form. You can fill in any piece of paper with the name of the driver and sign it. You will need to reference their communication to you.

This course of action will not prevent further action being taken and, assuming you have met the requirements, will be offered a CofP and perhaps a SAC
ford poplar
We still do not know the reason for the NIP or offences alleged.

Jaybo, complete & post the NIP Wizard.

Why would you spend money on extra paper if sufficient space available on form. As others say, no problem with separate sheet, assuning rel reference codes are included, pref at top, and their is an unequivocal naming of driver at time of incident.
Jaybo
Righty ho. Thanks for the replies, all.

It's for doing 36mph in a 30. The place in question was a dual carriageway (probably the only 30mph dual carriageway in Leics!) and it looked like a 40, if not a 50 (that's what everyone else was doing at the time)...so yea, i was going too fast and subsequently got pronged.

I'm a supermarket delivery driver and as such, have to meet strict deadlines for deliveries whilst battling traffic all day long. I know it's not an excuse, but it doesn't help create the safest of driving conditions...I got done for 34 in a 30 last July (spoiling my clean license) and went on the SAC, so won't be offered that for another 2.5 years.

If i was doing something silly then yea fair enough but i always seem to get done for the most pathetically anal speeds in really dumb spots when posing no danger or threat to anyone. I'm sick to death of them and have decided to buy a radar detector as a long term investment in my future as a commercial driver! smile.gif
jewels2009
Thanks for your response.

Your going to get 3 points / £100 fine minimum. Being obstinate about it, is'nt going to acheive anything, so i'd suggest you take this one on the chin, fill in the form provided with completed details and send back 1st class, gettng free proof of post from the PO etc.

It's for doing 36mph in a 30. The place in question was a dual carriageway (probably the only 30mph dual carriageway in Leics!) and it looked like a 40, if not a 50 (that's what everyone else was doing at the time)...so yea, i was going too fast and subsequently got pronged.

Many including myself are misled by what is and isnt a dual carraiway, and what the speed limit is on them. If you can post a google street veiw link, the experts can confirm the limit and the repeaters, which may assist you for the future.

If i was doing something silly then yea fair enough but i always seem to get done for the most pathetically anal speeds in really dumb spots when posing no danger or threat to anyone.

And they know it also, and duly arrive where you think you safe

I'm sick to death of them and have decided to buy a radar detector as a long term investment in my future as a commercial driver!

Make sure you get a good one which has lifetime updates, but importantly advises you of the Speed limit for the road your using. I use Garmin, but other's prefer other makes. Search in the flame pit forum, where the pros and cons have been discussed.

Best of Luck

peterguk
QUOTE (jewels2009 @ Wed, 19 Feb 2014 - 08:16) *
Many including myself are misled by what is and isnt a dual carraiway, and what the speed limit is on them.

It's really, really simple. And all laid out in the Highway Code.

A dual carriageway is a road which has a central reservation to separate the carriageways. The number of lanes in each carriageway is irrelevent.

Determining the speed limit on a DC is same for all other roads: if it has a system of streetlights, assume it is 30mph unless otherwise indicated.

ETA

A radar detector will not save your licence. Your right foot will though.
The Rookie
As radar is few and far between a radar detector is pointless, a GPS locator pf known enforcement sites i much more useful.

I find the Mark one eyeball much better though, never been done by a camera at all.

Do you have the NIP for the 34/30 as that would not normally result in any action and our tame scamerati on here insist it never happens!
Jlc
QUOTE (Jaybo @ Tue, 18 Feb 2014 - 13:18) *
they can't do anything further? Would that be correct?

What do you mean by not 'doing anything further'? Either you give them sufficient, and signed, details as required by law and they'll process it normally and send a conditional offer or you don't supply the details correctly and you could get a summon for failing to furnish - 6 points, ~£500.
Jaybo
Great responses all. Thanks. I ended up biting the bullet and sending off the form. Dangit, just when I was about to get a clean license again!!

Radar detector should be here soon, although some here have expressed concern over it's usefulness (which i respect) , i wanted to express that I don't agree with driving recklessly and it's not being bought to replace common sense or observation; only to enhance and act as a fail safe.

I'm currently having stern words with my right foot but it may take some time to get the message through! wink.gif

safe driving all!
Ocelot
Before 2009 we used to recommend sending the details separately, not on the s172 request form, as we believe it implied guilt. However, there is no reason to do it now that that avenue has been closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.