Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN Challenge
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
AnotherCashcow
Ok, hoping for some advice/reassurance here.
Back on New Years eve while parked in the Snow Hill multistory carpark I received a PCN for being 8 minutes over my parking time allowance. My argument was that the machine face stated hours and minutes which I took at face value and proceeded to put money in for what I believed to be 2 hours 30 minutes, unusual I thought but convenient. Content I had my ticket in view on the dash, away I went.. intending to be back well within the 2:30. I arrived back at the carpark 2 hours 8 minutes later to find a CEO placing a PCN on my windscreen, I enquired why at this point and he said I was over my limit. How could I be, I paid for 2:30 as per your machine? He replies they don't offer it in 30 minute intervals. Your machine says otherwise I contest and even show him the machine to which he disregards and points at the sign on the other side of the pillar. Fair enough, sneakily hidden but still a case of misrepresentation. At this point I take a photograph of the offending machine for my appeal.

So after waiting for a couple of days for my PCN to go live on the website, I then lodge an appeal on the 6th. To backup my claim I take a screenshot of both my appeal email and the confirmation screen showing time and date as proof of my having sent it. A couple of days later, I use a different car park with the same type machine in them and on inspection I see that the "hours, minutes" has been taped over on this machine. So I proceed to take a photo of this machine as well, as in my eyes this is a blatant admission of error on their behalf as it has evidently happened before.

Fast forward to today and having not heard a peep from them still, not wanting to be accused of sticking my head in the ground and hoping it would go away, I have just now pinged off a chaser email seeing as it is over the stated 3 week window in which I would get a reply.

My question here is: What do you think the likely outcome will be and should I be concerned that I still have not heard from them yet?

I've included the photo of the two machines
Chaseman
Please post up the PCN you received with identifying details obscured by times and dates left in.

Also please post the P&D ticket you received from the machine. If it was still valid when you got the PCN you win. If it wasn't, despite the fact that you thought you had paid for a longer period, then absent errors in the PCN, it's your responsibility to check and I fear you lose.

It really doesn't matter what was or wasn't showing on a different machine on a different day.
AnotherCashcow
If that is the case then best I can hope for is a sense of good will which I doubt I will get. Original ticket I am no longer in possession of, daft move on my behalf losing but not alot I can do about that now.

On doing some more reading apparently I was outside of my 10 minute grace which looks like further to lessen my chances. c'est la vie, lesson learned... when the wife says "oh just one more shop I want to go into" then say no!
Mad Mick V
An older Instruction can be found here:-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j....60983673,d.ZG4

It indicates that where there is a discrepancy the signs in the car park will apply.

However the photo of the ticket machine in hours and minutes is pretty damning.

Mick
Incandescent
I'm not convinced of the appeal argument. The machine is a commercial product, clearly produced to allow tickets to be produced for a variety of payment rules. The key surely has to be what it showed as parking time as you dropped the money in. If it incremented in single hours, you are bang-to-rights in my opinion, as the additional payment for the 30 minutes would not have incremented the parking time.

Having said that, it really should not have accepted the surplus cash, but Hey, this is Car Parking Great Britain 2014 !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.