Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got stopped going through a red light
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
james1977
Hi all. New to this forum.
I was stopped by the police in Glasgow yesterday and told that I had gone through a red light!!

I was driving to work and went through a junction when the lights were green. At the other side of the junction there was a hold up. I drove along and 100 metres down the road around the bend the reason of the hold up was shown to be 3 officers standing on the pavement dealing with a VW Golf. I never thought much of it but when I finally reached them I was stopped by an officer and informed me that one of their officers at the junction saw me go through a red light.
I immediately told him I never and that I hoped they had evidence? He took my license and done the usual checks behind my car.
Unknown to him I phoned my sister in law who has a shop at the junction to have look to see if any officers were stationed at the lights. She saw none!
I was then informed I was to be given a fixed penalty notice. At this time they had also pulled a transit van over. I again told them the light were green, it was safe for me to proceed over the junction and that I was not the last person to even go over as a black taxi came from behind me and cut in 2 cars ahead to gain advantage in the traffic queue over the junction. I again asked him what evidence they had and again how many officers saw me to which I was told there were 2 officers. I explained to him that although he was booking me he couldn't see me commit the alleged offence. He just said if I have a problem see a lawyer.

I immediately went back to the junction to see nobody there either and saw my sister in law. She told me to go the the police station which I did. I told the officer that I proceeded at green and I committed no offense. Nor were any officers seen at the junction. He said that they might be in plain clothes and if in unhappy to see a lawyer!!

I can't afford that route but im so angry that I've been accused of this. I don't know how to proceed!! What can I do?
peterguk
2 choices: Accept the FPN, or take the matter to court.
StuartBu
One of the real problems with the Fixed Penalty system . You are placed in a situation where you either pay it even if you believe you did not commit any offence or you take it to Court with the problem of having to pay even more money with no certainty of being found NG . A bit of a bummer

Is the junction covered by CCTV and ,if so,is it recording and would it help you anyway ?
sgtdixie
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 6 Feb 2014 - 15:09) *
One of the real problems with the Fixed Penalty system . You are placed in a situation where you either pay it even if you believe you did not commit any offence or you take it to Court with the problem of having to pay even more money with no certainty of being found NG . A bit of a bummer

Is the junction covered by CCTV and ,if so,is it recording and would it help you anyway ?

To be fair it's not a problem with the FP system. If the system didn't exist he would just have been reported for summons. As it is he has a choice.

OP

If you choose to go to court it is vanishingly unlikely that 2 officers will invent seeing you because they were not there. They may have got it wrong, but just because your sister didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there.

So as has been said, 2 choices. Accept the FPN or opt for court I'm afraid.
glasgow_bhoy
Were there any plain Vauxhall Astra's near the junction? I believe they've been hiding out in the unmarked cars watching for offences, and then having people issue tickets further down the street. Braindead target driven policing at its best. They'll do you for anything at all in Glasgow at present- the most minor or trivial offence is now a big deal over nothing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.