Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping a car with tax but no insurance
FightBack Forums > Discussion > Government Policy
Veyron
Hi, I'm planning on buying a new car this weekend that is taxed and MOT'ed. M,y plan was to buy temp cover to drive it home and then leave it on my nans drive for a week whilst I can sell mine, would I get in trouble for this after the day insurance expired ?

Thanks
Pug205GRD
Technically yes. What you should do is immediately send the TAX disk back for a refund and use the SORN declaration on the same form then as soon as you have the insurance document you go and buy a new TAX disk at your local PO as the DVLA records may not update quick enough for you to do it online.

What is more likely to happen is you dont bother doing any of the above and by the time the V5 gets to the DVLA and they process it you will have insurance cover so will be legal. The previous owner may get a nasty surprise in the post some time next year though for not having continuous cover.
branney
so with the car i sold last week, i cancelled insurance the following day, once the new owner confirmed they had insurance. but if they were not telling the truth would i be responsible for keeping insurance going for a few extra weeks while dvla processes?
Pug205GRD
QUOTE (branney @ Thu, 6 Feb 2014 - 23:05) *
so with the car i sold last week, i cancelled insurance the following day, once the new owner confirmed they had insurance. but if they were not telling the truth would i be responsible for keeping insurance going for a few extra weeks while dvla processes?

Depends on how quickly you get the V5 to the DVLA and how long it takes to get to the top of the pile for processing. The law states that if the car has a valid TAX disk then it must also have a valid insurance policy too. If it takes a month for the V5 to arrive and be processed then there is every chance the DVLA will eventually follow it up.

There are cases that pop up on the forum regularly where people sell cars on either privately or through the trade and then several months or even well over a year later they either get a Late Licencing Penalty (lack of TAX/SORN) or No Insurance fine through the post for the car in question but always dated after the vehicle has changed hands. The conspiracy theorists would suggest DVLA delay processing these in the hope that any paperwork from the sale will have been disposed of in the interim leaving the poor driver almost defenceless.

Veyron
This is why I hate this country, simply changing cars is becoming a right headache! If I sorn it I'll have to wait 3 days for the mid database to update before I'm able to buy tax

Will have to insure it as second car and pay god knows how much until I can sell mine!

Out of interest how much is the fine? Might be more viable to risk a fine!
StuartBu
QUOTE (Veyron @ Fri, 7 Feb 2014 - 11:53) *
This is why I hate this country, simply changing cars is becoming a right headache! If I sorn it I'll have to wait 3 days for the mid database to update before I'm able to buy tax

Will have to insure it as second car and pay god knows how much until I can sell mine!

Out of interest how much is the fine? Might be more viable to risk a fine!

Don't disagree with you there .
Have a word with your insurers and explain that you'll have two cars for a short period and see if they can offer you overlapping cover ( would one month do ?) until you sell your own car
bama

when you no longer own the car ? ? ?

you do create and keep a copy of a Bill of Sale (signed by both parties, dated and timed) when you sell a car ? ?
I do sep Buyer's copy and Seller's copy to protect both parties.
enfield freddy
don,t leave the insurance running on a car or bike you sell , I was reading a newspaper report of a guy buying a m/bike, having a major accident without insurance the injured parties claimed from the ex owner , as third party , and the insurance Co sent him the bill.
southpaw82
QUOTE (bama @ Fri, 7 Feb 2014 - 15:34) *

when you no longer own the car ? ? ?

you do create and keep a copy of a Bill of Sale (signed by both parties, dated and timed) when you sell a car ? ?
I do sep Buyer's copy and Seller's copy to protect both parties.

Yes. The offence under s. 144A is committed by the keeper. Ownership is irrelevant. He might have a defence under Reg 2 of the Motor Vehicles (Insurance Requirements) Regulations 2011.
bama
he ceased being the keeper when he sold it
southpaw82
QUOTE (bama @ Sat, 8 Feb 2014 - 17:19) *
he ceased being the keeper when he sold it

He did not cease being "the person in whose name the vehicle is registered [with the DVLA]".
The Rookie
For the sake of argument though, once the record is updated then at the time of the offence he wouldn't be that person.......

When we bought my daughters car we had to SORN it, you can't do that while it's taxed and you can't cash in the tax until you are RK, so it was on the drive for about a month before it was SORNed as the systems own rules prevented us SORNing it......some well written laws we have!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.